Alonso to leave F1 at the end of 2018 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Alonso to leave F1 at the end of 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nuvolari, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Interesting interview on BBC 5 Live with Alonso today. When they asked who was the best driver he raced against during his career, he responded emphatically that it was Michael Schumacher by a large margin, not the answer the BBC was looking for so they had to follow up with toughest teammate and the BBC finally got the Lewis answer they were fishing for... Listening to Fernando talk about Michael, he has true huge respect for him and rates him way above the current grid. Keep fighting Michael.

NEP, classic308, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    He gave me the same answer 5 years ago at the Austin GP.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He may have that opinion, but common sense says that a driver of Alonso’s ability being signed, alongside a marquee signing like Ricci, would have made the grid look on Renault as taking a massive step towards the front with such a positive team. Alonso would absolutely want a car that was a front runner from the start, and number one status (hence why he turned down red bull, a team with a great deal riding on a so far unsuccessful return to f1 of Honda, a manufacturer whose name probably sends shivers down Alonso’s back), so I would say that Cyril can big it up how he wants, Alonso wouldn’t want to waste his time at Renault anyway, and to try character assassination against Alonso is the usual classless ******** we get from team principals when they know they couldn’t sign a champion if they had an endless pot of cash to do it

4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If all the drivers on the grid were asked the same, and gave an HONEST answer, they’d all agree with Alonso, and then they’d probably name Alonso second. Elton was a thorn in Alonso’s side for several reasons, and none of them were because elton was better than him. Elton had the entire team behind him, Alonso had had a personal issue with Ron Dennis that created friction even on his own side of the garage, and from mid season, Alonso was cut out from the best of strategy developments due to the issues with Ron.

NEP likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Alonso made another friend this afternoon.

Magnussen: Disrespectful Alonso "thinks he's a god"

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnussen-slams-alonso-after-monza-run-in/3169362/

Kevin Magnussen has hit out at his Formula 1 rival Fernando Alonso in the aftermath of their run-in in qualifying, saying the Spaniard "laughed in my face" and “thinks he's a god”.

Really disgraceful tactics from the Spaniard.
    I am surprised the stewards didnt' penalise him like they do in similar cases.
    Can't wait to see the back of him ..

crinoid likes this.
  6. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Not at all. Magnussen is the same a**hole he always is.
    Look at Alonso's onboard:
    He drove whole lap with everyone lined up nicely, all preparing their tyres and managing their gaps. And then into parabolica, Magnussen steals Alonso's gap. What a true idiot.
    The gap was then a tiny bit too large. It would have been perfect if Alonso could have overtaken Magnussen completely and benefit fromt the ultra-slipstream while at the same time killing Magnussen's lap.

Once again clear why Magnussen is such a hellishly unlikable character. He f*cked up and is then whining about Alonso.

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Agree. Magnussen is a nasty prick on the track.

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Magnussen is just pissed because Alonso leaves of his own volition a double champion, magnussen will be kicked out having made a total **** of himself and gaining a reputation as a crash test dummy

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  9. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Thanks for sharing.
    The whole picture becomes clear now.

hairy_scotsman and 375+ like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You contradict the pundits, but that's OK; everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mag held Alonso up, and Alonso went past the slowpoke. Mag then made a big deal out of speeding up once he realised Alonso was there, then cried into his helmet...... total waste of a seat, hope he gets the sack at the end of the season (or before it, I don’t mind)

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Alonso slowed up too much to keep the gap to Stroll in front, i don't blame Kevin for passing him on the entry to Parabolica.

But then Alonso got the tow going down the straight, went for it round the outside which normally ends in tears.

I know he want to go out covered in glory, but looks like he will be covered in the usual controversy

william likes this.
  13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    It's getting deep around here lol! Most of today's F1 drivers never race against Schumacher so they would have no idea how tough of a competitor he was.

One of the highlights of Alonso's career is that he was soundly beaten by a rookie in the same team after winning his second WDC but that rookie was Lewis Hamilton one of the greatest ever.

Again Bone Head Vettel proved why Ferrari need a change in their line up and Alonso is available but they know what kind of problem he brings.

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    No, not even Williams. Why? Williams NEEDS pay drivers to survive. IMO, without Martini and Papa Stroll's $$$$, Williams is up the Thames without a paddle.

15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Alonso is a hundred times the driver gasly will ever be..... rising star? Yeah right, how many Toro Rosso choppers have been labelled such - kyvatt and the rest - all eventually given their marching orders and replaced by another child..... I’m sure Alonso is quaking in his boots over their ******** - NOT

GO GET EM FERNANDO, at least he has the balls to drive his car till it breaks, it’s not his fault the engineers can’t build something that lasts a race distance

hairy_scotsman and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

hairy_scotsman and daytona355 like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Which one got the sack today, vandoom or the other loser, to give Norris a seat in f1. He looks almost as young as max did when he started, let’s hope he comes into f1 a little more measured than Maxine and concentrates on learning the way to drive, rather than having a weekly demolition derby

18. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    LOL. This line never gets old.

19. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No, he maintained his 2s gap to Stroll and was just doing what everyone else (except Magnussen) was doing, maintaining his gap, warming his tires and prepping for the run around Parabolica. Had MAG maintained his gap, he'd have never needed to go around Alonso. Typical dick move Mag is known for, and then he cries about it like it was Alonso's fault.

freshmeat, daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Absolutely. Nothing new here from KMag.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And LMAO at ****ing Gasly. If he cries about that defense, then he's going to cry over just about anything at all...

I guess he expected Alonso to just pull over and concede the position to him. What a dumbass.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    "We were kind of six or eight cars, in a bit of a group," said the Dane of the incident at Turn 1. "And at the exit of Ascari, Fernando was warming his brakes, I think, so not going fast.

"And I'm going fast, so just cruised past him. But then for some reason he decides to try and accelerate and get close to me, rather than create a gap, as everyone else is doing. Obviously he got a perfect slipstream and thought he could overtake into Turn 1, but I'd rather hang myself."

william likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are right. Alonso slowed down too much before Parabolica and forced Magnussen to overtake him.
    But then, the cheeky Spaniard had second thought and tried to get a tow from the Dane, only to impede him at the first chicane.
    No Wonder Magnussen was fuming.
    I couldn't understand why the stewards didn't penalise Alonso.
    He is leaving and don't care anymore, so we can expect more disruptive behaviour from him before the end of the season.
    Clearly Alonso has a "chip on his shoulder".

24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    But Mag didn't go fast until just before Parabolica. Watch the video. You can measure the gap Alonso maintains to Stroll. Alonso maintains his gap to Stroll just as the pit wall is instructing him to do. He'd been in between Mag and Stroll all the way around, and then Mag just out of the blue, at the last second, decides to speed up and fly by just before the end of the lap. He goes by Alonso right at the end and then complains that Alonso should just "create a gap", right on entry to Parabolica. LOL, there would have been no sudden need for Alonso to create a gap had Mag just maintained his own gap the way everyone else did on that lap.

daytona355 likes this.