ALONSO-LECLERC, FERRARI 2019 TEAM | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ALONSO-LECLERC, FERRARI 2019 TEAM

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dino2010, Sep 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    There is really no doubt that Vettel deserves criticism. He knows, we know it.

Now, do we really want to throw out the baby with the bath water?

This is going to be a long two weeks . . . . sheesh.

crinoid, 375+ and william like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I stand corrected

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Alonso / Leclerc for Ferrari?

Sign me up!

Granted I'd still prefer to see Hamilton or Max at Ferrari but that seems unrealistic.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Seb has seen largely two situations in his racing career: 1) dominant car with no real challenges sans his teammate, 2) car with no chance to bag a championship but the occasional win is possible

The third situation is one Lewis Hamilton has lived and breathed in hence his calmness and clear advantage under fire. Schumacher, Senna, and other true greats lived and breathed in this environment and flourished. That situation is 2 or more cars on the field capable of a championship but the nerves to not choke and/or to naturally make the right decision in one's subconscious. I do not believe Vettel has that subconscious gift the same way others have, which is why I fully see Vettel in Nico Rosberg mode at the moment. Fantastic driver, but when truly at the edge of the world in battle with the highest stakes in the world, the edge goes to Hamilton's cooler battle whit and nerves.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We often don't see eye to eye but this time I'm 100% with you on these comments.

Seb is superfast when out in front but still lacks (surprisingly after 4 titles) race craft in duell situations. In this regard he is very much like Damon Hill: The perennial test driver and one lap wonder for qualifying.

Dimitar, william and Ferraripilot like this.
  6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep. He even admitted in the Spa press conference iirc that he'd stay if he could get in a Merc or a Ferrari. Basically he spelled out that those are the only current seats that would make him want to stay.

7. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    +1 here. Vettel is only good when running up front- but if he has to actually race , makes too many mistakes. Ricardo was destroying at the end at Redbull. I am sure at present - both Ricardo and Max will beat him if they were driving the same car. Alonso on the other hand is the only one that actually beat Schumacher. In my opinion Vettel and the Marlboro man need to go. I do not want Ferrari to win a title 'by accident" and then having to wait another 10 years for the next one. I am a Ferrari fan- I hope we get 3-4 in a row!

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  8. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I don't agree with most of the conversation here. Clearly, Vettel didn't look good a couple of time this season. But the one thing he didn't was fall apart in the intense heat of the moment. Baku he was gambling and missed out. Hockenheim was unneccessary, in particular because the pressure wasn't there. And Italy wasn't necessary. He was focussed on Kimi and forgot what was at stake in the bigger picture. Indeed he then got squeezed by Hamilton, whom - I think - he didn't have expected there. Well done Hamilton, and well executed. But it wasn't any falling apart under pressure. It was having the focus on the wrong thing.
    Making mistakes and falling apart under pressure is the stuff Verstappen showed. I think Vettel was in the wrong place with his mind and paid for it. But he is equally calm and analytical about it.

As commentators agree anyways, this is not how you drive to become WDC.

daytona355, Nembo1777 and william like this.
  9. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Now, 4 questions:

1. Will Seb become WDC this year?
    2. Will Ferrari fire him if he doesn't?
    3. Will Ferrari try to get Alonso, if they fire Seb?
    4. Will Alonso accept?

375+ and hairy_scotsman like this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    1 no
    2 no, but probably not extend for 2 years
    3 maybe for 2020 as an interim solution until Leclerc is up to speed
    4 yes, he'll be bored out of his mind after one year of IRL

11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    1. No.
    2. Maybe. The press has turned on Seb, and now he's making noises questioning Ferrari management. Bold strategy.
    3. I think so. Some say the process started weeks ago.
    4. Yes.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    1-maybe
    2-no
    2-never
    4-yes he would...

14. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    1. NO
    2. YES
    3. YES
    4. YES

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes but I don't see it happening
    4. Yes

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    No to all. I knew Ferrari weren't serious about winning when they passed on Ricciardo.

They are too fat and lazy with their big heritage bonus. They make more money than any other team win or lose, so why bother winning?

william likes this.
  17. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Alonso and Kimi at Haas
    They would embarrass Ferrari I bet
    Obviously Ferrari would never approve of this with Haas, nor could Haas afford them both

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’d hazard a guess Alonso would join ferrari for free, or next to nothing, to have a shot in this car, as he’d be world champion for a third time, and elton wouldn’t see which way he went. Kimi would want paying, but I bet he’d take a pay cut to stay at ferrari if necessary, there’s a point in these guys lives where the wages don’t actually feature in their calculations so much as the prospect of the car..... if I was Kimi I wouldn’t want to drive for some crap team after ferrari, I’d re-sign, or retire..... no other team has the cachet of ferrari, it doesn’t matter how long it is since we won a championship, it’s FERRARI. Drivers beg to join, ferrari don’t beg them to come

375+ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ummm, I don't think so. Would Riakkonnen beg to stay - No. take a pay cut - probably but not a massive one. in the end its about an entire package. Raikkonnen left F-1 found that the grass is not greener and actually has made a good comeback. but I think its the end of the road for him. He's just making up the numbers now. he can be good from time to time, but not brilliant as he once was - and that is ok, its tough to be on top all the time.

Alonso joining Ferrari for free...no. these guys egos are so huge that would never work. Alonso will make more money out of F1 than racing for a lesser team. He needs to be the big shot vs. struggling fish. Sadly he's creeping up there in age and is likely at the end of the F-1 ladder. I would say this about Alonso - he won his first WDC fighting some really hard drivers - Schumacher for one. so that is a fact... however I don't think he's as great as everyone makes him out to be.

furoni and william like this.
  20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I never said this to anyone but, personaly, i think he sucks!

daytona355 likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Also, it's not a serious proposition to make to Ferrari, a top team, to offer to drive "for free".

The Scuderia has always paid its drivers, often quite well; they are not a charity case

It's a matter of kudos for them.

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    OK, he would take whatever they offered, no argument, 'just tell me where to sign'.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You know, I am starting to think along these lines too.
    I am wondering if Ferrari is as desperate to win as we all think.
    Maybe they think that a good visible presence at near the front is enough to keep their prestige of the brand.
    They want to be among the leading teams, obviously, and be among the winners from time to time to show they are still there.
    Just looking at Arrivabeme's body language compared to Toto Wolff or Christain Horner, you don't see the same dedication and certainly not the same reaction to track incidents.
    It seems that it's just another day at the office for Arrivabene.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Love it. Used to really like Arrivabene but the pitwall is terrible and he appears to not understand that Kimi needs to be a designated #2 when he has no shot at the WDC. Our drivers fight each other while Merc uses Bottichello perfectly

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  25. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Fixed that for you. Honestly, Alonso has made himself all but persona non grata in the paddock. I honestly believe that if Seb had wound up at Merc than LCH would have gone too Ferrari a few years ago. I think it's hard to argue that (mistakes, head games etc. aside) LCH, Seb and Alonso are and have been the class of the field for the last decade. Mad Max is closing fast and the Honey Badger is >< close, but those three are the cream of the crop (This from an ardent JB fan BTW). Just look at the petulant brat he's been over the last few years 'GP2 engine' Let alone the toy tossing when he found out that his new baby team mate in LCH was a real threat. throwing his team(s) under the bus. At this point I doubt Ferrari or Merc would take him if he offered to buy a ride with them for $10M, let alone what he think's he's worth. He's a god in the car, but such an ass out of it his kicked himself out of a competitive seat. Honda payed his salary for three years and all he did was publicly ***** about them. Not ever going to happen.

Side note. If I believed in fairly tails I'd be praying every night for LCH to finish his career with Ferrari and end on one final Chin beating WDC.

william likes this.