Need advice on a 360 purchase | FerrariChat

Need advice on a 360 purchase

Discussion in '360/430' started by tomconte, Sep 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Hi,

I was a proud 360 spider 6-speed owner a couple of years ago and then, in some inexplicable lapse of reason, sold it.

It was my daily driver.

Been looking for one and found this one, have communicated with the dealer, etc.
    https://www.dcmotorcars.com/vehicle-details/used-2003-ferrari-360--anaheim-hills-ca-id-23786328

It's unfortunately on the other side of the country from me (I'm in Atlanta).

Service has been done by Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa, an indy shop but they appear to be reputable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

2. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I just recently purchased almost the exact same car except a 2001. I take delivery in a few days. This is the second car I have purchased at a distance. The 1st I purchased 7 years ago and flew down to Charltte NC ( I live in Canada) After doing some initial research and having questions answered by the sellers, my opinion has always been that a thousand dollars here or there was not a deal breaker so in both instances I chose to fly in and see the cars in person. I know flights are a lot cheaper in the US. After not finding anything I liked locally, I decided 2 weeks ago to spend $800 for a flight and 1 night hotel and the flight was only just over an hour but I avoided two 6 hour drives. I was hoping to catch a morning flight and come home in the evening but none were available.
    If you are serious and want a piece of mind, then fly out and tak it for a test drive.

cavlino likes this.
  3. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Hmm my first thought is why pay SoCal prices if you're not in SoCal? Are you looking specifically for silver? They're the second most common after red and seem to get lower prices than a lot of other colors.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    It's not a bad price based on what I've seen. Is it?

daveyator likes this.
  5. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    #5 daveyator, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Fast Cars is relatively close or any number of decent Ferrari garages in orange county for the obvious PPI. My old 360 come up with sagging motor mounts, front brake caliper rebuild, cracked transmission mounts, leaking cam seals at 20Kish miles. Worth checking to see it these have been looked for. With the cars highish miles just because its been serviced doesn't necessarily mean things like that have been noticed or dealt with. Agree with above. 86K doesn't sound bad for a gated. Also (I'm probably reading WAY too much into it) the 360spider emblem on the dash almost looks like it has corrosion of some sort on it....or it could just be dusty.

6. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Keep in mind, Tom - this car has a bunch of Sticky parts. Might want to keep that in mind when negotiating a price ;)

8. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Dave, you'll get my business regardless of the car I end up getting :)

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I live 10 minutes from DC motors. If you want me to take a look at it and drive it for you. I'm happy to. I have had my 360 Modena for 4 years and know all the little gremlins

cavlino, Dave rocks and tomconte like this.
  10. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Robert, that would be AMAZING, thank you!! I'm dealing with the owner, Cliff Krause, FYI. I'll PM you more details.

11. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'll stop by today or tomorrow to take a look at it

tomconte likes this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Some common 360 issues I've had to work out on my own AFTER a PPI from a reputable shop. Hope this helps your due dilligence:

1) siren battery (how old)? they go out. $500 part
    2) shifter bushing stock? any slop in shifter (if gated). $60 part..... a good 6 hrs of labor if slow
    3) turn signal relay died... verify it works. new relay a few hundred bucks
    4) water pump was weeping had to be replaced. have a look AT PPI, $450 for just parts.
    5) water res cap leaking..... check after hot drive.... $50 part
    verify level is proper after hot drive,
    6) headers leaking, cracked, or cat material loose failing, $3000+ for aftermarket... then cel issues.
    7) tires dry rotted, check date codes.
    8) paint correction..... have an expert review it in good lighting.... look under car front rear/sides......
    9) clutch fluid t-block leaking.... if Gated. $200 for part.
    10) tool hold down straps cracked failing...... inspect nego price of new.... $280 for aftermarket leather straps....
    11) tool - flashlight missing..... 250-400 retail if you can find one......
    12) 2nd key.... be sure to get all keys....

try to put some miles on the car in city and hiway...... to be sure no CEL's......... at PPI have ecu scanned for issues or stored codes.

cavlino, daveyator and tomconte like this.
  13. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Thanks to robertpel9 for taking a look at the car for me!!

He recommended a guy who did a PPI. In his opinion it had a respray to hide damage and the respray was done pretty poorly. He also found bad engine and tranny mounts. The dealer gave me a line about how I had to pay shipping both to get my car to him and this car to me. I added it all up and it doesn't make sense. The hunt continues!

Tom

14. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
  15. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010