What would you do? | FerrariChat

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kizdan, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    My wife and I live on a lake. We have about 170' of lakefront, whereas my neighbor has maybe 50'. We are cordial with each other, in the sense we'll say hi to each other if we are both outside, however it really ends there. My wife and I prefer to maintain our privacy.

It seems like every time our neighbor has a get together, their guests seem to somehow spill over onto our property. For example, as I type this, there are 2 of his guests sunbathing on our property, down by the water, and right next to their property. They are within 6' of my property's edge, but that is beside the point. I find it completely disrespectful. Never in a million years would I ever allow my guests to just start utilizing my neighbor's property as they please.

I could walk right up to them and ask them why they are on my property, but I am not at all interested in a possible confrontation with people who live next door to me. I was thinking of my drafting a note and leaving it in their mailbox, and have that serve as a warning, and calling police if it happens again.

What would you do?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good fences make good neighbors, I think is how the old saying goes. Me, I'd first try being nice and cordial, mention it in a friendly manner in person. Sometimes hard to convey manner and tone via the written word. If it continues, put up a fence.
    T

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would go have a conversation with them and talk it out. A note can be misinterpreted too easily.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Is the area clearly marked ? I would just let it go.

darth550 likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    offer a reasonable rental rate for his parties..... $300/hr/person :)...

it ALL depends on your neighbors and how they will handle the interaction....... they could be really cool people and just clue-less..... or rude and be jerks about it....... GL....... good fences make good neighbors.

7. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
  8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It's looking more and more like a fence is the solution..........:)

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For me it would depend on how often it happens. Every weekend and I’d definitely talk to them about it. A couple times a summer I’d let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

TheDiffuser and darth550 like this.
  10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you don't want to look at a fence you can always put a tasteful row of bricks or pavers in the ground at the property line. They'll see it and understand.

That, or be "That guy" and run the sprinklers and blame your timer? :D :D :D

wax likes this.
  11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Have you considered a snakepit?

"The pheasants are beneath me." - SoCal to az
    "I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Get a fence . No need to create a mountain out of a molehill. Fence it and forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Get a survey. Have the corner monuments concreted in with numbered caps. You can also have them set flush rods in concrete every 100' or so as a guide. Then have a talk with your neighbors who have been trespassing. I'm sure they know what they have been doing. Be polite but leave no doubt that this is your land and its been really bothering you that they have not respected you and your property. Give them the opportunity to spout that they didn't know where the boundaries were. If later you do a fence you'll need the survey anyway. I personally don't like fences. Unfortunately you can't pick your neighbors.

15. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    No note in letterbox. That often causes more issues. Either direct and friendly face to face chat. Boundary solution. Park your cars along the boundary and put "Hazardous Waste Treatment in Progress" signs on your cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk