2018 Monterey Car Week | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2018 Monterey Car Week

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Aug 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There are no „Monterey organizers“. My guess is that there at least 25 or more individual events, big and small, in about 10 days. And it‘s already now an almost two week madness (with the pre-historics).
    There are simply way too many events and way too many auctions as well. It is a huge business, half a billion $ or more. And everybody wants a piece of the cake. The bigger the better.
    No prob with business, not at all, we all have to eat, of course. The good thing is that one can select the few really good events, from the huge offer. And leave the large rest aside.

Marcel Massini

Lusso123, TTR, Timmmmmmmmmmy and 2 others like this.
  2. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Interesting. I appreciate you all filling the rest of us in. The last time I was there was about 2002 where I drove in the historics. In those years the cars at the track were amazing.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    16 years ago is a looooong time ago. The classic car world has changed big time since 2002. Back then at Laguna Seca one could see genuine 250 TR‘s, SWB‘s, TDF‘s, Interims, 330 LMB‘s, GTO‘s, or early 212‘s or even a 166 MM and 250 Lusso. Plus 312 PB‘s and 512 S/M‘s. And 500 TRC‘s as well.
    As said before, we need Steve Earle (founder MRY historics in 1974) back. He had the vision, taste, style, knowledge and connections.

Marcel Massini

Lusso123, TTR, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Steve Earle was approached a few yrs ago. was not interested.

5. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I attends this year but didn’t go to the race track. I last raced there in 2005 and it’s no fun as a driver. You qualified on Friday and raced either Saturday or Sunday. Basically an entire weekend gone for maybe 40 minutes of track time. Steve did a great job of choosing the car first, and then getting the driver. The first time I entered he called SOVREN to check on me and I had to be vouched for by people he knew!

My two favorites are the start of the tour on Thursday and Dawn Patrol on Sunday. Plus the auction cars.

However, going is a chore and it makes my hobby to commercial. So that part is unenjoyable. Plus I hate the sun and crowds.

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I attended Pebble for the second year in a row this year and I showed one of my cars at the Quail. I also attended Casa Ferrari throughout the weekend. While I have no regrets and I certainly enjoyed myself I don't think I'll return for at least a few years. Reflecting back, the real highlight was meeting others who share the my interests. My passion is really Ferrari so I much prefer to focus my time, money and energy attending and presenting my cars at the Cavallino Classic and the FCA National Meet.

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Nobody noticed the Best of Show this year (Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Lungo) didn't have black colour originally ??:confused:

Stupid question, nobody cares...:)

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Cyril

The rules allow another color as long as it is period correct.
    David Sydorick will show this Alfa at Villa d‘Este in May 2019.

Marcel Massini

9. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Ron328 likes this.
  10. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Thanks Marcel.

Stupid rules are made to be broken...:D

TTR likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I suggest you talk to Sandra Button Kasky, head of Pebble Beach, and Ed Gilbertson.
    Good luck.

Marcel Massini

375+ and TTR like this.
  12. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Battle already lost...

375+ and TTR like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Sadly, it seems the term 'original' has lost it's true meaning with these concessions to a later color choice...

lgs, TTR and Aardy like this.
  14. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    At the races, a Class Rolex award was given to a replica 250TR/61 (based upon a 365 GT 2+2) over a REAL 450S Maserati. As Marcel has said, the battle is already lost. The great cars will disappear from these events.

turbo-joe, wbaeumer, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    is this a car the Italians would take great pleasure in sending to the 'crusher' if the authorities could get their hands on it? Is a 'real Ferrari' serial number no assurance for it's survival there???

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I thought Ferrari types didn't care about the color so long as it was period correct, unlike Porsche folks who insist on lining up tire stems with the Porsche emblem on the wheel caps. ;)

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes he is. I spoke with him a couple of months ago. We've been friends for years.

18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Many too many of the PBC "Best of Show" winners have competed and won in non original colors..... and with non original modifications.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    If that poor replica uses a Ferrari chassis number the factory says we never built this car. Hence: time to crush.
    What a shame for MRY Organizers/Laguna Seca to accept such crap and fool the people.

Marcel Massini

20. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Now that really is ****, replica versus real should always go the way of the real whether or not the real wins on track.

Having read Simon Moore's book on the 2.9s it is often opaque as to the exact original specification and if Simon Moore can't unravel the tale of these cars, noone will. Aside from that, Pebble Beach tries to get the best experts in the field although any process of judge selection will always be flawed but many (if not most) of the top line entries (like #0233EU in 2017) were exhaustively researched prior to recent restorations and Pebble winners are far more accurate than they were 20+ years ago. This has ensured that a very correct rebuild can be completed to original specification, although I am sure it won't sway the Ferrarichat Vintage crowd! to see it as accurate, as they did with #0233EU. Returning to my first sentence, if some of the worlds experts can't be certain on a fact, how can anyone? and further I would be interested to know what solutions other people think would work.

21. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    I tend to be on the purist side. For PB in 2008 we went to great lengths to match the original color on the Mondial. David Carte and I described the process to the judges. The end result was a 1st in Class Award and the Enzo Trophy for the finest Ferrari on the field. My opinion is that we did it right and the judges rewarded that thinking and the results. Clearly for other times and cars the judges opinions vary as well as the judging rules.

Best regards,

Robert

of2worlds, 375+ and TTR like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    PM sent.

23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I have great respect and admiration for Simon Moore, and have both of his books on the Alfa 2.9's. Simon Moore is tops in his field and chosen marque expertise. But not all "of the worlds experts" are created equally. With that said, and with regard to others....not everyone judging at a concours knows as much as one might think they do. I certainly don't consider myself to be one of the "worlds experts," but I do know some cars pretty well, and have had access to the exact same materials as the "expert" judges. Talking strictly about colors, some body and or other slight modifications from how some of the "Best of Show" winners were when first built and delivered..... I can think of three off the top of my head that had color changes, and some mods. Daimler, Delage, Chrysler. Sure there are more, but I don't have the time to spend. There is also a Ferrari with a noticeably different nose. Then there are plenty of cars that were 100% correct when judged, but lost points due to a judges lack of knowledge. It happens. This year I looked at the three Scarab Roadsters. I know these cars very well, and it was great to see all three together. One of which was just restored, and incorrect for the period and race it was supposed to represent, and then listening to the three judges for a bit.....I was disappointed to hear how little they seemed to know about the Scarab's and how each was supposed to be.

of2worlds and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Something I've been telling for years to any and all who care to listen.

Every (judged) event usually has a different group of judges assigned to specific class and every one of those judges tend to focus on and look for different details on a given day/event/car.

Right or wrong, but IMO, to consider a car, let's say a Ferrari, as a true , let's say "Platinum" level example, it should be entered/subjected to at least 3 separate (consecutive ?) judgings carried out by same (IAC/PFA ?) rules and receive same (with same deductions each time) or subsequently improved score assuming earlier deductions are corrected in between and no "new" (i.e. previously un-noticed) ones are discovered.

And let's not forget, the "Best Of Show" is just that. A car (or dog or ...?) considered (by judges ?) to be the "best"(?) of that show on that day, nothing more, nothing less.
    In some cases or events it may not even necessarily have the highest point score.

375+, Timmmmmmmmmmy and Texas Forever like this.
  25. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    These days I mostly just go to catch up with friends I haven't seen since last year, wiith fewer time spent at the pricey events.

Much of the nostalgia of Monterey was lost when manufacturers began aggressively using the events as a tool to sell modern halo sports cars. 15 years ago it was fun getting a free "show" by strolling through the Blackhawk Collection on the way to Pebble. Now I get Lexus, Kia, and several electric car manufacturers whom will likely never produce a road-going car. Props to Infiniti for putting together a small but nice Japanese Car show at the last minute. I'd only hope that other manufacturers would follow suit next year.

Quail has become a modern supercar event, with very few cars over 50 years old. For example:It was fun seeing 10 or 12 new Pagani for the first time a few years back, but now for the 4th or 5th time in as many years, it begins to lack the same appeal. Every year they change how ticketing and parking works, and every year, there is still a crush of cars and people trying to get in.

Laguna Seca caught on that there was money to be made on Thursday, so they charged me $50 to get in, instead of the usual $20, to walk the paddock and see practice.