Corroded ECU - left bank. Need to replace. | FerrariChat

Corroded ECU - left bank. Need to replace.

Discussion in '360/430' started by jlclt348, Aug 30, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This is for a 2000 360 F1.

Bad left side ECU is causing engine misfire. Confirmed by swapping in a good part. I need to source a replacement ECU. Any leads? Thanks!

2. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Hi next month I am replacing both of mine in a 99 gated 360. I was able to get them on sale at Algar Ferrari in Philadelphia. They were running a 15% sale as well as labor. You might have to replace both as well as a new alarm kit. I know I have to. Don’t know if you will have to.
    Try exotic auto recyclers in California. He’s on eBay with a lot of recked cars.
    My two ECU’s were $2400 on sale and the alarm kit ( with immobilizer and remotes ) was $1800. I’m sure labor is $1500-2000. Good luck

3. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks, Ninzi - the dealer did the work and was able to replace only 1 ECU, which they sourced used for $1,500. No mention of replacing both or replacing the alarm. Maybe it's not necessary in your case either? Car seems to be fine. What reason did they tell you for replacing both ECUs?

4. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    My car has been on the SD2 numerous times and it won’t padd emissions in NY. So I need new ECUS as well as a new alarm kit. Well hopefully not but I will know next month.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Did you ever get anyone to see if it's serviceable? A lot of the time corrosion can be cleaned up on the pins. I've done quite a few now...

I'm still working on trying to get a replacement option for guys at a small fraction of prices quoted here but it's going to take more work yet to get there... I have quite a few spares but I'd need your working one or if your technical enough you can back up your working ones firmware (do a search I posted how to do it on here), search benchflash Ferrari 360. Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Hey my down under friend, all well? Yes they were sent to Ferrari North America for a re flash. It seems someone screwed with them and locked them out and FNA couldn’t unlock it.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Can you ask them if they tried to recover using boot mode?

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why in 18 years of servicing 360's have I only once come across a bad ECU? Transmission TCU..many times. engine ecu's..almost never. maybe lucky I guess..

9. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Hi ok I’ll ask .
    Thanks

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Lucky but also consider they where designed/tested by Bosch to live in a harsh engine bay environment but their lifespan im guessing was never intended to be 'forever'...

.. A safe assumption is that the immobilizers die first then ECUs shortly thereafter. Really loud Sports exhausts (decats especially) can rattle the cr@p out of the very thin (thinner than human hair) wiring which is suspended in a sort of vibration damping jelly substance.

... I've come across increasing failure rates as they get older so watch this space on this one. Also since they are paired to ECUs one is free to reuse and one is locked. I've solved that but yet to release the solution which is under extensive testing to ensure 100% reliability.

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here I am working on one that failed in exactly the way described, electric contacts came away... Image Unavailable, Please Login

recoil likes this.
  12. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Thanks for your input. Hopefully this works and I can get the car to pass NY state inspection
    More to follow next month.

13. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Oh forgot bathe boot mode was applied. So no go on that one.

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    There is another way to do it, even if the original code is locked out in flash to disable reflashing so to speak.

The Siemens microcontroller which is used within these Bosch Ignition ecus have an override which if utilized enable you to boot into special mode to override whatever modifications have been done previously (probably its been chipped).

If your happy to send me your old ECU's I'm confident I can recover them and reflash them to whatever you want them to be using... PM me for more information. It will be a tiny fraction of the prices being quoted for new, that I can absolutely guarentee...

15. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Hi that would have been ideal . Unfortunately I work in the country of Lebanon . I live in NY and am only home every 5 weeks. Additionally the ECUS are paid for and the alarm kit was a special order from Ferrari. So I will have to pass. Thank you so much for your services.

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    No problems. Just trying to help out. It may still be prudent to get them to give you your old units back and I can look at recycling them so you have a spare set for the future.

17. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Thank you I actually planned on asking for all of the old parts back as well.
    Thanks

18. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Hi I meant to ask you how much do u charge for this service and I suppose I would have to send you the immobilzer as well as the FOBS for reprogramming as well?

19. Jorge luis

Jorge luis Rookie

Apr 25, 2019
    dominican republic
    Full Name:
    Jorge luis
    send me your cell