Halo 2017 | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Halo 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The halo is a mistake.
    If safety is that important,
    1.why did they "invent" it only recently?
    2.why let unqualified idiots compete in F1?
    3.why is the design and form of F1 cars 100% unsafe, illogc, and against all fysical, aerodynamic rules (wheels and wings distant from monocoque for example)

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    1) You can make the same argument for road cars or anything really.

2) Who is unqualified? You need a Super Licence.

3) All forms of Motorsport are dangerous, there is no car designed to be 100% safe but since there are rarely any deaths in F1 I would say it's fairly safe thanks to improvements in safety.

4) I don't like the Halo either.

3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I would prefer a cockpit cover like a fighter jet.Could get mucked up in a race and make visibility far worse in the rain. Then again the HALO saved Leclerc,s head from being shaved off.

4. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    The HALO could have saved Leclerc's hear from being shaved off. Alonso wasn't on route to his head.
    Just a difference in facts. In my view the incident showed the value of the HALO, nontheless.

Finlander and william like this.
  5. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    They would tell the public that the halo worked regardless of facts because they were responsible for it.

Pity competitive racing isn't their number one message...as a RACING association.

6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Finlander and ginge82 like this.
  7. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Are we still arguing about the merits of the Halo...." most likely", seriously?
    It saved the Leclerc's life, end of story, cannot believe this comment, you have got to be " taking the piss out"
    Sometimes fit, form and function, for safety, has to trump design aesthetics
    Just an FYI, work in auto design and manufacturing for the past 30 years

8. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    'Saved his life'?

That is pure speculation. Only a detailed analysis could reveal the halo's impact in this incident.

9. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    1500+ LBS of a flying object at anyone's head with a helmet on...pretty conclusive, or speculative, I will say yeah very speculative :)

10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Verstappen still no fan of Halo

AUGUST 30, 2018

Even a scary crash at Spa has not convinced Max Verstappen about the merits of 'Halo'.

At the first corner of the Belgian grand prix, Fernando Alonso's McLaren leapfrogged over the Sauber of Charles Leclerc.

Tyre marks on the Halo convinced many that the controversial safety innovation had saved Leclerc's life.

But Verstappen told Ziggo Sport: "I'm still not a fan of it."

As for whether Halo saved Leclerc on Sunday, the Red Bull driver answered: "You never know. It's always difficult.

"If you see how low we are in these cars, I wonder how much it would have hit him or not. I don't think so.

"But of course it's better that no one was injured."

Verstappen, 20, said his biggest problem with Halo is the aesthetics.

"It's a super ugly thing. Like a flip flop on your car," he insisted.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Regardless if it really saved his life, it could save the next time. I don't care for the Halo's look either, but we don't anyone killed.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You want to talk about aesthetics on F1 cars, The front wings look like gills on a fish!
    VS crashed enough inF1 that he might not still be driving now without the safety innovations!

13. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Well they had no issues telling the world that Bianchi's accident was his fault because he was speeding so that's why I don't think they would hide the results of the Halo.

Most people think of FIA as racing only but in reality they are an automobile association and safety is one of the main reasons they started the FIA back in the day.

Competitive and fair racing, yeah I'm sure that was a top priority before Bernie came along.....

14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It was no where near his helmet, that's the ****ing point :rolleyes:

You can clearly see the gap between the helmet and point of impact.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The only thing the Halo manage to do was cause even more damage to Alonsos car.

Finlander, Bas and ginge82 like this.
  15. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Huh? Blaming Bianchi (who did nothing the other drivers weren't doing) was for sure to protect FIA (and the disastrous decisions from race control that weekend) from further criticism and legal action. The FIA has always been a highly polical organization, and it's leaders (Balestre, Mosley, Todt) all megalomaniacs :p

SPEEDCORE likes this.
  16. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Very well put!
    Drivers need protection, by any means possible a Halo, shield or whatever.

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bianchi was speeding more than anybody else.

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's not just about aesthetics but also about being able to see the driver.

19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Not a single piece of footage that shows how Alonso's car would have made contact with his head. In fact quite the opposite.

So yeah, very speculative.

tifosi12 likes this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But it's better to be on the safe side, no ?

Every single safety improvement has been resisted in the past, the halo isn't different.

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I'll post this gents, you can see the deformation of Alonso's tire from the chassis and the halo upon impact(right pic). I will note the optics might be misleading given distance from tire to head but look at post #356 of the impact/abrasion marks and the width of the tire on LeClercs car given where his head would have been. That's my 2 cents.

LittleTino and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Drivers need protection?
    Well, why don't they stay home, or go to the beach with their girlfriends on Sunday afternoons?
    The halo is a disgrace to the sport.
    And even, remember the spring that catapulted from Barrichello's car right into Massa's face? Would that have been stopped by the halo?Unlikely....
    F1 is a dangerous sport.

You know what a safe vehicle is?
    This:

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Your trouble is that you were born at least 50 years too late.

Back in the days, you would have had the satisfaction to read about drivers' deaths during the weekend every monday morning.

I am sure you would have enjoyed Learning about drivers crushed in their upturned car, of burnt to a crisp in a fire, of maybe decapitated by flying through the windscreen.
    Back in the 60, between F1, F2 or sport cars, we used to lose about one driver every month.
    We thought it was a tragedy; you think it's a price Worth paying for your enjoyement.
    If you don't value human life, and baulk at the idea of safety making progress, you belong to the past.

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Must also remember that LeClercs car was moving fwd, and without the halo to deflect the tire this fwd motion would have resulted in helmet meeting tire.

I've essentially grown to ignore the halo during the race. I think the jury is still out on whether it would hinder egress in an emergency situation.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are wrong. Probably you have never been in a tank, so you don't know.
    A tank is terrible Inside in case of collision; there is no crumple zone to reduce the impact, and nothing to protect the occupants .
    There is also no restrain Inside in view to leave the crew free of movement: no seat belt, no air bags, etc... You can only brace yourself.
    Which means that in case of sudden decelaration, crash or even going through rough terrain at speed, the people Inside are projected against metal features all inside the tank, and risk injuries, bruises, cuts, etc ...
    For your information, and you can check, fractured limbs and facial injuries happen in tanks.

tifosi12 likes this.