Mang's Garage | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #176 Mang, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After enduring what has to be the biggest 2 month weather wallop in history, my cabin has stood up tremendously.

NOTE Before I list with a major brokerage here in Tahoe, just wanted to put it out there, if anyone here is interested in acquiring this unique and special home - PM me here. Please only VERY serious parties, thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #177 Mang, Jun 27, 2017
    After the wettest winter on record, the hills have 'blown up' with fresh growth once the sun finally hit. Haven't decided whether to sell or not, so for now just enjoying my favorite, but too short for sure summer season. Some green vs. the white from winter, and some eagle life!

I did already construct a 'French drain' on the side of the house under the stairs. I'll show more detail in next posts. Took me about 16 hours of total labor, bought the drain pipe and wrap at Ace, and just knocked it out. Filled it all in with native rock that I carried over in a 5 gallon bucket after scavenging it off the raw land. Looks and functions beautifully.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just awesome!

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #179 Mang, Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks! Some more projects...close up of French drain under stairs. That is a big John Deere front loader blade that was tossed that I sunk 8 long lag bolts down into the earth below to hold the flat rocks in place on the driveway 'stone apron'. Works, as rock used to shift if a heavy pickup or utility truck twisted tires on it prior. I just sunk the stone in natural dirt, no concrete. View coming up the street. I have patiently worked the landscape for 5 years now, my goal to create a 'tree fort' look, lots of growth around and seclusion.

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #180 Mang, Jun 27, 2017
    Behind the house, one epic winter's worth of falling dirt. I've cleared around the shed, but the area behind the house FEET of heavy dirt a bucket full at a time out of there, taking me months to knock it out :/

Next project underway...I've gathered larger rocks and am building a wall of some height anyway to hold back future dirt. I figure any effort is better than none for now.

Help if you can rotate the first 3 photos on this post? Why does this happen? Thanks

mcimino likes this.
  6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  7. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow. Well I hope you and the area will be OK!

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks for your concern. Not sure what occurs past 6,229 feet level? There is still snowpack that is furiously melting as we are in a heat wave. I'm thinking it crests the flood level tomorrow or for sure this weekend. I'll find out what occurs and share.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

hope all is well mike!

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Aloha Pete, all is well amigo. Suffering from 930 withdrawal like YOU! A little birdie told me :(

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Ongoing projects here...erosion control and landscaping mainly...and I am completely independent of the cabin next door finally as I have my own electrical ‘line’. It took years of patience and politicking to get them to tie off to a tree behind my house and run one clean line to me. The other option was utility poles in front of panoramic lake view...no freakin way! Got the good result. I do all my own work. Filling gabion cages with rock is ridiculously hard work, but I zen approach it, a couple rocks at a time, every time I go up the stairs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, TexasF355F1 and ralfabco like this.
  12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Mang is the box of rocks for retaining purposes?

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Ya Kevin, I’ve been trying to figure out how to retain that area as it supports the stairs. I have a fourth cage that is going in next week. It will go on the other side of the wood wall and staggered and higher. These ‘gabion’ cages are cool. They are not going anywhere. That’s tons of rock in each cage. Solid as a rock/s :D

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    They use similar cages on hi ways for erosion. Someone told me it was 1st used in China?

Mang likes this.
  15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    All over the hwy’s here in Tahoe. And yes, I heard around since ancient times.

Also more rock work. I replaced the big boulders lining the road to the edge of my property with continued pavers. I used the big rock to start another wall alongside my stairs. This was crazy work, hanging over the railing on my stomach and trying to get heavy rocks to ‘stick’ and stay and stack. It worked beautifully. I’ve backfilled and built that wall even higher. Rockwork is never ending here, but is solid and looks amazing. I’ll better photo it all soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and Camp Freddie like this.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #191 Mang, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    About to conclude this summer’s ‘projects’ - next up I acquired two big commercial ‘skylights’ going on the cliff/hill side of the roof, probably next spring. I wanted to achieve more hill and erosion control and widen access on the shed side and now have both sides of the house sorted and retained almost to the back corner. Steps up the hill added. And shed is now covered in thick canvas vs. the weak plastic material that is gone after 2 winters. Photos...still need to fill the two top cages - slow and tedious...no big truck dumping rock in front of this project...it’s all loose rock gathered around the property and added a few at a time. All that flat ground is freshly laid pavers too. They look beautiful when they aren’t covered in sand/dirt, but as they settle I leave them well covered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

mcimino likes this.
  17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.

Attached Files:

mcimino, bernardo66 and Ducman491 like this.
  18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Back at work on the pad...latest project - these 2 LARGE skylight/windows were just completed. They are on the side of the roof that faces west. Excellent light source, but the real reason is the mesmerizing steep slope with rock and cliff formations that are really a nice view feature. As always construction zone, but all cleaned up now.

Attached Files:

19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #194 Mang, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    This has been a fun thread, sharing with ya’ll the evolution of a 7 year journey of creating a home you can say I obsessed about and worked on pretty much all day every day to a level no one else would really understand. Every stone, every piece of wood, everything has my fingerprints on it. I have lived in the Lake Tahoe region for nearly 3 decades and there are amazing homes all over, some costing $50mil plus., neighbors like Zuckerberg, Ellison, Duffield, etc. rock stars, athletes, hollyweirds, it’s a real scene here. The coolest house at the Lake is right here. Lol. If anyone here has the resources, you need to consider this house, have a look at the final product. It’s put together like a fine cabinet, amazing craftsmanship everywhere.

I’ll link the official complete ‘listing’ shortly...

http://tours.2view.com/media/3182/phototour/

Be sure to hit the 360 3D viewer too.

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mang likes this.
  21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    sucks doesn’t it, I can throw a rock and hit Nevada

22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have followed your restoration and garage threads. I love what you have done with the space. Alas, too small for my wife and 6 kids. o_O

Mang likes this.
  23. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Mang likes this.
  24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks Jason, I’m home and still working on new projects even while it’s listed. If I do anything notable, I’ll share. Mostly keeping it clean and ‘presentable’.

for anyone’s consideration - some here have cars worth more than my house, but if anyone wanted to do a car/s plus cash offer on my place, I’m open to it. I love collector cars that much. Contact me privately if this is of any interest. ANYONE would dig this place either as a primary home or especially as a Lake Tahoe vacation getaway.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9797-Pier-Ave-Kings-Beach-CA-96143/17698219_zpid/