Bumpers | FerrariChat

Bumpers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ewan, Aug 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    although ive had my 1979 400i auto for several years, only today did I notice that the front bumpers are quite a glossy black, while the rear bumper has a more mat black finish. Is this normal, or should they match?

I've looked at other pictures of 400's on the web and many others look like mine. Strange. Surely they should be the same finish - shouldn't they?

2. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
  3. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi Ewan,

I'm fairly sure the bumpers should be a silky black finish and not matte black. Mine where like that and I don't think they where ever repainted. I have the original brochure for the launch in 1976 and that car is pictured with semi-matte/silky black bumpers. But worth adding is that the finish is more matte than todays version of semi-matte but clearly not all flat matte.

Maybe a finish in between the two would be the most correct ? :)

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe, over the years, the front bumper has been "cleaned" more often and harshly (bugs, tar, road paint) and this has worn down the finish to something smoother, thinner, and shinier. Just a theory.

5. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    It’s really difficult to describe actual gloss levels but a comparison might help. The photo shows a brand new, old stock, front side bumper compared to an original side bumper and a front bar painted in gloss black.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The thing to notice is that the original colour is more charcoal than black and the gloss level is quite low. Typical “rattle can” Satin Black is close but even that is slightly more glossy than the original finish.

(The front and rear bars should have the same finish.)

Regards

WM

Jim575 likes this.
  6. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Thanks chaps. It looks like my rear bumper is original (if a little faded), while the front has repainted (incorrectly) gloss black.

I'm about to embark on a bare metal respray of the car (from dark blue, back to the original brown) so will have the bumpers done in a satin black finish. Should I use the same satin black for the vertical rear boot panel?

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Bruno Acajou ? Way to go,Sir :)

8. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    By the way, are the original bumpers available somewhere with the correct finish??

9. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Generally, no, but I got a pair of new (and perfect) front side bumpers on eBay (Italy) last year.

WM

10. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't know if 400 and 412 bumprs are the same, but Maranello UK has one listed for sale on their managers special page for $1665.00 GBP

11. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    412 are painted, so not sure...
    If memory serves I think the European club had moulds to make some in fiberglass but not sure about the finish. Will ask.
    Thanks

12. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Quite a few were painted gloss, which doesn't look too bad. I think the problem is the bumper material is some sort of rubber compound - was it even painted at all? I await the learned responses/torrents of abuse.

13. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I'm actually going Marrone Mettalizzato, which is a slightly lighter and more bronze shade of brown. I'm not quite brave enough to go the full whack and have Bruno Acajou.

But that said its being booked in for the winter, so there's plenty of time to change my mind!

14. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    When I got my '84 400i 3 years ago I had a new rear bumper from Maranello UK fitted. This is a silky satin finish and the colour is probably more charcoal than black. It is not glossy like paintwork and definitely is not matt. My front bumper is the original and its finish is part way between matt and the new rear bumper. Guess this is from the passage of 34 years. Hope this is of some help.

15. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    One vote here for Bruno Acajou (especially if that is the original color).

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My auto body guy seems to think that it's an elastomeric material molded over a thin box tube. & I believe the 412's are fiberglass.
    I remember someone mentioning Sikkens "Rally Black" for the black bumpers. $500./Gal. with reducer and catalyst.