Who is supplying the replica Ferrari race cars to Fox for "Ford vs. Ferrari"? | FerrariChat

Who is supplying the replica Ferrari race cars to Fox for "Ford vs. Ferrari"?

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by bitzman, Jul 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    RE Ford vs. Ferrari, a feature currently being filmed.
    I tried to find a list of replica Ferrari racing cars from the Sixties (specializing in mid-engine)
    but could only find one made by
    Jim Carpenter (his P3/4 shown here, advertised for $198,000 in Maine a couple years ago)
    and another similar car by Bob Norwood of Texas. I believe I saw one of Norwood's race in a vintage race in Chicago. It might have had a Boxer engine or even whole Boxer chassis.
    But more important to the plotline it would see that whoever made a 250LM replica would have gotten a call in January as they are filming now. At this point I don't know if the film is ending at the '66 victory by Ford or extending to include the '67 victory.
    I did a cursory search on the net and found RM-Sothebys sold a very exact replica for 198,000 Pounds Sterling in 2009 in a London sale but you get over $100K and you're starting to talk real money, isn't there any mid-engine copies with Chevys for a lot less?
    It would be handy for the producers if there was a one stop shop for mid-engine Ferrari race car replicas --like there is for GT40 replicas--but I guess there isn't. For a big budget film you have to buy or rent two of each in case there's an accident in filming....
    Still hoping someone with knowledge of racetrack filming will tip FC readers so we can mosey on by....

Picture: the one Carpenter built.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Bonhams also had one for sale awhile back powered by a V6. For film purposes the engine doesn't much matter, but I don't remember series production on a 250LM replica. Depends on whether the movie goes up into '67 or ends at '66 what Ferraris they will need....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    RCR (Race Car Replicas) in Michigan.

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Maybe Jim Glickenhaus?

Jean-Pierre Marchand and miurasv like this.
  6. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Do I detect a not so subtle "zinger"?

miurasv and technom3 like this.
  7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    by whatever do you mean...

8. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    The cars used in the film Rush were mostly made specifically for the film. Some original cars were used for close ups but the rest were purpose built with interchangeable bodywork so that one chassis could be a Ferrari, a McLaren, Ligier, Shadow, Lotus, whatever. I was at the Donington Collection when measurements were being taken from lots of the cars there so that accurate bodywork could be made. Nearly all of the racing scenes are filmed at slow speed with stunt drivers so how the purpose built chassis handles is irrelevant. The problem with using real cars is insurance and also that the owners tend to want to drive them in the film which does not work as they are not in the correct Union and cannot put the cars where the director wants them. The cars from Rush were sold off after filming but are probably unusable other than as an ornament.

9. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I liked Rush. The cars looked very good. It would be fun to own one, even as a garage ornament.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    bitzman likes this.