Carrera GT | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It could go either way. They could become more desirable due to rarity and people want them more or the governments go crazy and tax the crap out of any car like this and then demand drops (sales tax and use tax on specific cars like this).

2. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I’d like to think the US doesn’t do that euro wealth tax thing. But that’s gets into a portable wealth debate and other reasons to hold hard assets vs currency yada yada. No one knows and never truly will.

It will be nice to be driving one at that time either way!!

3. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    This is one car I would never buy in an auction. This car needs to be put on a lift and checked thoroughly.

4. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I have given my full thoughts on the sale here (for the most part reiterating what I've said here), will be doing some Columns like this going forward: http://sterlingsackey.com/carrera-gt-monterey-auction-analysis/

That makes sense, and I agree. It's wise to move on one of these fairly quickly if you want one and find the opportunity to purchase a good car. I have a multiple clients waiting patiently for that opportunity! Just need some quality examples to sell, free of serious issues or multiple broker chain nonsense.

I can see taxes being levied on new versions of cars like this (anything gas powered that uses a high amount of fuel, really), but generally once a car is out there, the government forgets about it. It would be unlikely they would retroactively start targeting ~15 year old supercars with increased registrations, taxes, etc.

Inspection pays dividends on these cars, that's for sure!

5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Many, many CGTs need that done!

NürScud likes this.
  6. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I have a Carrera GT 2004, 10,000 miles. I assume it’s worth about 570,000. The one at auction sold for 970,000. That means for every thousand miles I put on my Carrera GT it cost $40,000 plus service maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#333 Sterling Sackey, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Why are you assuming your car is worth $570,000?

And, the RM car sold for $940,000 all-in, just so we aren't spreading any misinformation.

8. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    570,000?? When people find out I have a Carrera GT that’s the number they offer. Check our prior correspondence via our emails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I don't believe I've received any correspondence from you since June! But, it was good talking on the phone, feel free to reach out if you would like some proper analysis on what your car is worth in today's market.

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #336 joe sackey, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    It may sound a little absurd but 10,000 miles can make for a huge value difference in a contemporary Supercars, and we have see this underscored with a number of makes & models.

11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    On Days Like These

Chalk & Cheese

13. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    That's a shame because a CGT with 10K miles is barely broken in. It would tell me that it was driven and serviced regularly, just what most supercars need. These cars were built with performance in mind, they were never meant to be shelved away in a garage. Kudos to the owner for adding 10K miles and hopefully he'll add another 100K miles while making memories that will last him a lifetime.

schwoo likes this.
  14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I don't disagree with you, but boy, if I had a dollar for every "that's a shame" post I've seen about a low-mileage car, I would be a very rich man. :)

I think it's fine for a car to stay low mileage, so maybe the next generation will get to enjoy it as it was new. As for the discrepancy in values, the market will figure out what's important as time goes on.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed every market exists with a combination of both low-mileage, high-mileage and in-between, and markets speak for themselves in awarding value, seemingly rationally or otherwise, it's the reality of life, but I agree with you, 10k miles is nothing

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I've posted a Column on my website regarding the story of the Carrera GT's special clutch. It is copied below for your convenience, enjoy!

The Most Famous Clutch in the World

Ask the average car enthusiast about the Porsche Carrera GT, and chances are the word “clutch” won’t be far off.

For years, the third pedal on this car has been a hot topic of discussion, amongst both those who have and haven’t driven one. But, few have actually studied Porsche’s thought process behind the CGT’s special clutch, and the method in which it operates.

As the project manager for the Carrera GT drivetrain, Mr. Bernd Ramler was the man responsible for the Carrera GT’s clutch. He sought to develop a clutch that was as small and lightweight as possible, and through the innovative use of silicon carbide material, his engineers came up with a clutch that was half the weight (7.7 lbs vs. 16.75 lbs) and half the size (6.65 in vs 11.5 in) of a contemporary 911 Turbo unit. This new “PCCC” was produced by the same supplier as Porsche’s PCCB brakes, SGL Brakes GmbH, located in Meitingen.

But, why go through all the trouble to develop a clutch slightly lighter and smaller than standard, especially if it would potentially sacrifice the drivability of the car? An article directly from Porsche back in March 2004 explains:

“In an engine that, thanks to dry-sump lubrication, has no oil pan extending toward the ground, the size of the clutch housing determines the ground clearance and therefore also affects the installation position of the engine. So the smaller the clutch and the shorter the distance between the middle of the crankshaft bearings and the underside of the engine case (98.5 millimeters/3.9 inches) in the Carrera GT, the lower the engine can be installed and the further the center of gravity ultimately drops.”

So, the installation of Porsche’s special clutch, in reality, hugely affected the potential dynamics of the Carrera GT.

As for drivability, it is true that early cars tested by the press had clutches that were not particularly easy to modulate from a dead stop. However, during the Carrera GT’s production run, Porsche did update the “anti-stall” feature embedded into the computer control unit to make standing starts easier. This updated feature was applied to all production Carrera GTs over time as they came back to the dealer for service, and thus, today, they all drive roughly the same (the myth of differences in 2004 vs. 2005 clutch units is just that, myth). The complaints about the Carrera GT’s clutch usually come from owners, or more likely, one-time drivers, who don’t know how to use this anti-stall system properly – use no throttle input, simply let the clutch out until it just reaches the bite point, and hold there as the computer meters the throttle appropriately.

So goes the story on one of the Carrera GTs most debated aspects. As an aside, few realize that the Carrera GT was originally slated to be the platform on which Porsche would debut its now-ubiquitous PDK gearbox. But, the engineers didn’t think it could realistically be achieved at the time, so a traditional 6-speed manual was developed in its place. What a stroke of luck that was for the future driving joy (and collectibility) of this car!

Works Cited: Porsche’s Christophorus magazine, issue 306.

Cutting the ceramic clutch disk with a water jet at 3,000 bar pressure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC) during the overload test.

John B, Boomhauer, NürScud and 3 others like this.
  17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    NürScud likes this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Well, I like the license plate. :)

NürScud and Boomhauer like this.
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

We are still looking for the right CGT for a number of clients, please reach out if you have one to sell! [email protected]

20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Two different Carrera GTs that have been displayed at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. Porsche's press photos and publicity tours of the Carrera GT mostly employed GT Silver / Ascot and Guards Red / Dark Grey cars. In addition, there were a few auto show examples and magazine review cars finished in Black (usually with Dark Grey interior). Evo in the UK did a few tests with a customer-owned UK-market Fayence Yellow car, but it was actually a repainted example that had started its life in GT Silver (UK-registration "V10 PB").

I do know of a particularly nice GT Silver / Ascot car that can be purchased, a classic combination in my opinion!

Boomhauer and NürScud like this.
  22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The Carrera GT on the show stand when new. Notice the then-new 996 Turbo Cabriolet in the background as well. This car is GT Silver / Ascot, the combination that Porsche used for the majority of its press as noted above. However, the color of this interior looks a bit darker than the production Ascot - perhaps they hadn't finalized the color yet.

List price was $448,400 for the USA, which seems like a steal as compared to today’s prices!