Mr. Glickenhaus | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mr. Glickenhaus

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dilusha, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    To me what Jim brings back to the car world is something the majors seem to have lost.

Beautiful styling, evocative motors and most importantly interactive cars that are alive and make you alive.

Ferrari would do well to recall that.

LARRYH, NeuroBeaker, rob lay and 2 others like this.
  2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Even though I love his other work, I feel opposite about his P4/5. I think he ruined his Enzo. I think the Enzo was SO MUCH prettier

bubbaboy and Texas Forever like this.
  3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Isn't a "black jag" just a way to avoid saying "panther"? Misrepresentation everywhere! Lol.

Sorry, it was before my time but I can't resist a dumb play on words.

kerrari likes this.
  4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    the boot looks fun.

5. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    But you have the bitchin' boat!

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not me.

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I miss his opinions and insight.

David_S likes this.
  8. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    If you are going to make a very bold statement as Jim did, you need to be 150% sure your facts are totaly correct, and undisputable.

Jims case for his car being the original 0846 was based on hopes and dreams, and lots of cases of 1 plus 1 seeming to make 2. I have no doubt he believed for a long time it all made sense, but when it started to unravel, rather than concede instead the stories became even more far fetched, and the claimed evidence in support never appeared.

I likened it at the time to the film 12 Angry Men, with Muira SV (Steve) in the Henry Fonda role.

Jim is living the dream with all his other projects and good luck to him. Love the Mondulo resurrection.

NürScud and Ducman491 like this.
  9. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I didn't think he left here because of any disagreements. I thought it was because of all the time and effort he was putting in to all his car company and other projects. He seems very down to earth and I always enjoyed his posts. I hope he comes back.

rob lay likes this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have no idea if Jim still reads here so what I say doesn't really matter. I'll just say it

NORMALLY, I am very much against molesting classic cars. I'm not a fan of the "resto rod" craze where they take something classic and "update" the styling to be more contemporary. Leave the darn thing alone.

But I don't consider this a classic in the normal sense. It was a show car to it fits into a different category. Modifying it to make it usable using modern technology is completely acceptable.

This car has not been destroyed. It's been re-born into what it was intended to be all along.

And you have to thank Jim for seeing something like this and thinking outside the box. I'm not sure anyone else on earth would have looked at it and wondered if they could buy it and make it an actual functioning vehicle.

So to Jim, the engineers, and the fabricators they have done a pretty marvelous thing: well done. They have taken a dust collector and turned it into a real car.

Hats off to them.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If I was giving this a psycho analysis I would say for years and years Jim was obsessed with Ferrari. It didn't help his obsession when he seemed to get the cold shoulder from Ferrari, the top historians, Cavallino, etc. Jim found a friendly audience on FerrariChat to market his efforts and he seemed to gain traction. Jim started losing traction on FerrariChat and the cold shoulder still existed or even got colder on the outside. At that point Jim rightly did what he should have done and others before him like Ferruccio Lamborghini, **** y'all and watch me. Jim has evolved beyond that of mere mortals dressing things from the creations of others, he is now God purely making his own creations.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    He is something...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

bonneau13 likes this.
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He answers his own phone, I think he is semi-retired from Wall Street, except for his own portfolio?
    I could be wrong, but the firm has merged, into another, as he turned 60.
    Son Jesse is still active in that business, as well as his sister (who worked for his Dad, until the last day)

He has in my mind simply moved on to other things, recall with buying McCaw's 412P he actually has TWO examples of the P4 lineage.
    And lots of extra wheels!
    :D :D :D

For those interested, the best way is to simply "friend request " the SCG Facebook entity.
    (Thanks for the other links posted above, also.)
    I have done so, and I find he must have a damn good phone, as it takes him sometimes less than a minute, to "like" my comments direct to him, there.
    That is where he posts most of his 'garage project' videos and photos...they were driving Modulo up and down the street, in front of the shop.

I like to think if I saw him walking down the street, he would have time to stop and chat.
    That's what being friends is about, to me.

He did not mention his boat often, he has one of the first 38 'Top Gun' Cigarettes by Don Aronow (dead, of machine gun fire, at the office) and Mr. G's runs two Arneson surface drives, which is another example of his hugely unique view of engineering. I think I would fancy a run on the Hudson in that, as much as one of his cars!

I personally don't feel he "won, or lost" the 0846 debate.
    He has one of the three frames (from the one authorized, recall) from Piper, and every part he hangs on it, fits well enough.
    Others here are certainly free to take their own view....

Even the controversy with Luca over the Enzo/P4/5 mods, helicopter landing and all, it's just "good story" and at the end of the day, life is for living.

ferraripete, NEP, Jakuzzi and 5 others like this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't even have to do a 'Friend Request', just click 'Follow'. All are welcome. and be sure to click 'Photos' on left side of page. lots of good pics. ;)
    https://www.facebook.com/ScuderiaCameronGlickenhaus/

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good point, what does an Old Guy (me) know about FB??
    :D :D :D

I just know when logged in it's almost instantly that he answers, or hits "like" to my comments.

I don't do any of that via my phone, my fingers need the extended keyboard of the Docking Station....!!

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    He drove SCG003S to West Hartford, CT, for a Ferrari Concorso in June, and stood by the car for at least 5 hours talking to everybody and anybody, answering the same questions over and over again.
    Mostly, "What the hell is that?!!!" :) He parked right beside a beautiful LaFerrari. I'll give you 1 guess as to which one surrounded by people.

Davesvt2000, Boomhauer and mcimino like this.
  18. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    He's got the keys ...

NEP, Chaos, Solid State and 3 others like this.
  19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    He's a real enthusiast, and though he has his character flaws (like all of us), I rather enjoyed his participation here. I managed to go visit the collection on a trip to NY and he was more than welcoming, spending a lot of time just shooting the breeze about the cars. At the time Road & Track were doing a shoot on the P4/5's and I got to go with them to Monticello to see Sam Posey drive the cars. All because I sent him a PM through here. Fortunately I can keep up with what he's up to on Facebook, which is good enough for me. With so much on his plate it's not surprising to me he's decided not to participate here anymore.

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    My two and a half cents worth. We all have our good and not so good sides. I know I have them. Everyone is flawed, and Jim is NO different than anyone else in that respect. Regardless of his great taste in cars, creations, collection, enthusiasm, etc....and granted he has done a lot, but...he has not "evolved beyond that of mere mortals." He's just done a lot, and has had the interest & money to do it with. There are a number of other significant automobile collectors who have done pretty much the same (or more) as Jim, and without so much controversy. He is no God, not at all.

Thomas Magnum and Nospinzone like this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    by God I mean he creates stuff now. yes it is money and passion, which are Earthly, but he’s now on his own instead of trying to modify or evolve that of others.

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ok, thanks for clarification - I understand now.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    He does have the keys to a very cool car. Just not 0846. Still a really cool car. Still a knowledgable guy etc... I lost some respect for the continuation of story and how it kept evoloving and evolving and then trying to justify the car with every authority that had little authority or knowledge and was more or less enamor with Jim.

I will admit, it gets irritating for him to talk about the daytona winner etc... when its just not...

bonneau13 and Nospinzone like this.
  24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!