Speeding Ticket | FerrariChat

Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Dustdevil5, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dustdevil5

Dustdevil5 Rookie

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Sean Wesley Williams
    Has anyone yet gone to court to ask for a speeding ticket to be reduced and/or permission to go to traffic school? Does the judge have zero sympathy for someone driving a Ferrari?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

If its below 100mph and ur first time u will get in the mail a traffic school opportunity which once u lass u wont have points on ur license.
    If it’s a repeat offense or above 100mph get a lawyer like the ones below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Maybe reconsider life choices and exercising poor judgement

5. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    You think going a 100 is a poor judgement? In a Ferrari made to handle the speeds? I disagree, and sure we have to be responsible and safety is first but come on...up to speeds and back down is tons of fun and why I own a Ferrari!

6. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    My experience is that it is different for every judge. If you are under 20 MPH over the limit and it is your first offense or first in a while, they will often let you do traffic school. There usually isn't a reason to not let you as they still collect the fine. You should get better at talking your way out of the citation in the first place, I find that much easier ;)

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It all depends on the context of how/where he was going 100.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Way2fast likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    It depends on the jurisdiction. Some towns let you negotiate a lower violation in exchange for a higher fine.

10. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I did 100 mph two weekends ago on a deserted local road and it wasn't fast enough to be even mildly exciting. I did 150 mph in Nevada back when it might have been legal (reasonable and proper?). Right now many people are doing 100+ mph in Germany safely and legally because their laws make sense.

OP: Pay Mr. Ticket and get the best possible deal. The total cost for your fun will be a tiny percentage of all that you have spent and will spend on cars.

RonH and paulchua like this.
  11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    All it takes is for a coyote to dart out into the roadway and you're toast. Just because the road appears clear, there's no guarantee it will stay that way.

Texas Forever and LorenzoOO like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #12 paulchua, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    You're absolutely right, and it can also happen at 80, 65, or 50. If your point is going a 100 is inherently more dangerous then say 65, I would agree; but so is driving on a Friday/Saturday night versus say a Wednesday morning, in a sports car versus a van, or eating fast food all the time.

Everybody has their own level of risk tolerance.

I don't know the context of the driver's situation, so I tend to reserve judgement unless I know more. As pointed out by the poster above, I lay no critisism on him going 150 on an empty straight (it's his hide) or every single person that drives 100+ on some parts of the autobahn, I would assume you do.

I am surprised though to see the blanket admonishment on a Ferrari chat board, where high speed is one symbol of this forum's namesake.

doltond and BrettC like this.
  13. doltond

doltond Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2008
    Sonoma and San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Dolton
    Check this out - 195 kph (121 mph) in Germany a few days ago with a whole bunch of traffic in a Skoda Fabia. Nothing unsafe at all. We're more likely to die falling in a bathtub. Couldn't agree more with Paul - it's all about context. 25 mph on a crowded suburban street is way more dangerous than driving 121 MPH on the highway with smart drivers around you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua and BrettC like this.
  14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    yehaw Doug.....go for it!!

doltond and paulchua like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Came back from Europe last month, it amazes me just how much better people drive there. Left lane discipline is real.

doltond likes this.
  16. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    May be too late but have you tried Trail By Declaration? I've had great success fighting tickets in CA that way as a lot of the times cops don't respond and the ticket gets thrown out.

17. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Varies by county. In my county, the judge stamps them all guilty. Doesn't even read them unless they are filed by an attorney.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have won by Declaration in San Mateo county with a well written case.

eder94121 likes this.
  19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    A friend won in Monterey county last year from car week as well, but they may let those go a little easier though...

20. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It will depend on which county you were in. In Yolo county it seemed to be a hanging offense. The date you're supposed to show up to court is only a 5 minute appearance before the judge to give a plea. If you plan to fight it....you get ANOTHER notice to appear. The judge was, let's say.... LESS than sympathetic toward even the simplest of folk. A Ferrari would probably earn you a "Drawn and Quartered" verdict.

Should you lose your case (in Yolo County), you are responsible for ALL court costs, the appearing officer's pay for the day....the list went on. That's when all my bluster and "outrage" turned to tucking my tail and giving in to "the man".

20 mph over a 45 mph limit, on a 5 mile stretch of deserted, arrow straight country highway cost me over $600. This was 3 years ago. I'm sure The People's Republic of California have upped the penalties by now. My cruise control setting is now ALWAYS locked in at 5 over. No more, no less.

A radar detector might have been a wise investment for me......hindsight and all.

21. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I received a ticket in Oregon last week. Does anyone know if it will show on my CA record for insurance purposes. Is there a way to pay fine and go to traffic school to avoid it on my record like CA allows

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    It will show up to CA DMV and it will impact your driving record and likely your insurance.

Call a lawyer local to the area you got your ticket in Oregon.

23. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thank you

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

24. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Several years ago I was driving about 80 on highway 80 and ran into the Yolo County speed trap outside Davis. I learned that it is a well known and notorious trap and there was no mercy. I was driving a Chevy Volt of all things. Fortunately I did on line traffic school to protect my record.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Back'n'Black likes this.
  25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This is the way to go...I’m in SoCal and fought several tickets by Trial by Declaration (just use a template). If you lose you request Trial de Novo. If cop shows up then simply ask for traffic school. So in essence, you have 2 chances to win. No brainer.

Sent from my 16M