Thoughts On Pagani | FerrariChat

Thoughts On Pagani

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm curious to hear if others have thought much about this. I love the whole concept of Pagani - their structure, their philosophy, the focus on exceptional, road-going sports cars at the very highest end of the spectrum. Still, the two main issues that preclude me from really considering them an exceptional brand in the same light as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, McLaren, Porsche, are:

- Their general styling. Obviously this is subjective, but their exterior styling is just odd to me, particularly their head and tail lights. Though, I must say, their interiors are really amazing.

- Engine - this is the big one. The fact that they don't make their own engines. It just seems wrong to me, regardless of how good AMG's engines are. An exotic sports car manufacturer should be making their own.

Please share your thoughts.

F456M likes this.
  2. 1slocrx

1slocrx Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I feel that Pagani's fit a certain niche in the market. Some say they are what those other manufacturers you mentioned were in the beginning of their life, a small custom manufacturer that is driven by the single founder's ideals. I personally dont mind that they are using an AMG engine, obviously AMG is doing something right in many areas of racing and street car use. I feel that Paganis are true art in motion. Many have questioned their value in the market when an average F12 or 812 can keep up for a fraction of the price. Once again I feel they are the only automotive manufacturer in the market today that is creating ART. I dont question the value of the Mona Lisa, after all its just an old decaying painting. Different people will value things as they see fit. As you can probably tell I am a fanboy. So take my comments with a grain of salt, or the entire shaker if you wish.

lineaTesoro likes this.
  3. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They are art work. Probably won't get driven hardly at all so the engine is a mute point although it sounds amazing :) .

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm not a huge fan of the Huayra, if I had the money I'd rather get a Zonda. That's due to the styling and n/a engine.

It's impossible for a small manufacturer nowadays to make their own engines. Actually, Pagani isn't even small, they're tiny.

lineaTesoro likes this.
  5. 1slocrx

1slocrx Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Zondas are not US legal and might never be. It would only be a track toy I think. There might be a possibility to get a show and display clause for some driving?

tomc likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They're driven loads actually....not many about obviously but mutliple examples out there with over 100K on them.

If I could have one car and one car only, A zonda 760 would be it. Cinque body, 760 wing, cinque paint scheme as well but in blue with tricolore stripe.

I like the Huayra but wish it had a V8 instead of Merc's turbo 12....

7. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I've been to the factory twice (old and new) and what goes into a Pagani is truly amazing. You can look at the parts to be assembled, and each piece is a small piece of art, down to the bolts. The AMG motor used to rub me wrong, but considering Mercedes' recent dominance of F1, I've come to terms with it. Plus, the sound is nowhere near to your average Benz or AMG, and it was picked for a specific reason, so that helps too.

I have a strong preference for the Zonda, but having recently spotted a Huayra in Florida, they both pull the same type of reaction. The longer they keep building Zondas, the longer it'll be until they're able to import them into the US. I was lucky to spot the Barchetta in Greenwich driving down the street to be loaded, so feel super lucky to have caught that sight . . . and sound!

Overall, I think Paganis have the x-factor that you can't quite put your finger on. Certain Ferraris have it, Bugattis and Koenigseggs get close to having it, but spot a Pagani outside of a dealer, and there's no doubt.

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    For better or worse, pagani is the gianni versace of automotive design. Super high quality but very over done too. glad they exist though and horacio certainly belongs in automobile hall of fame for all hes accomplished

lineaTesoro likes this.
  9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think your comments are pretty spot on. The cars seem to be modern cars out of the past when embellishment and over the top details were the rage. I am thinking the French cars in particular, lovely to look at but not sure about being seen driving one. Just too out there, then the price is a whole other issue. Really paying for the uniqueness not necessarily performance. IMO

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think they peaked with the Zonda F.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I tend to agree.

Koenigsegg is doing far more interesting stuff.

the big players (Ferrari/Porsche/McLaren/Lamborghini) have far greater resources for hybrid technology, etc.

I don't see where Pagani goes from here. besides becoming more "steampunk" I guess.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Again, I think their philosophy is very cool (old school Ferrari/Lamborghini). But, their designs are odd. I get what people have said about engine development costs, but unless they do, and have a design hit that rocks the industry (Miura, Countach), they will remain a producer of automotive artwork (sunjectively beautiful) and not a serious player.

13. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Not making their own engine certainly didn't bother McLaren with the F1 . . .

alexVS, carguyjohn350 and rampante550 like this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Yeah, that too kind of bothers me. Obviously most don’t care. I don’t claim to know much about the F1. Until just a few days ago I always assumed McLaren made their own engine.

15. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What Daniel said....If money was no object, this would be my choice. This product is pure art and absolute style.

16. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    i guess the discussion is missing a large point: spot someone driving an Aventador or a 488. die a dozen nowadays. Meh.. Spot a guy in a Pangani or a Koenigsegg now there you got a rare occurence.
    It is all about what someone above called the Versace effect. They are beatuful and unique cars. I also respect the Bugattis in the same rgards even if the style is not my top choice. These things are the top dogs in style and mecahnical technologies.
    And most of all, these are cars I will never be able to afford to buy and maintain. I hope those wo do truely understand how lucky they are and do fully appreciate them.
    As for performance, if you really care about that tiny 10th of a sec, buy a tesla toaster. the hypemaker Musk claim a 1.9 sec 0 to 60.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would hardly call an Aventador or a 488 a dime a dozen. In Beverly Hills or South Beach, yes you see them, but they are still very, very rare. I think enthusiasts like us can be a bit jaded. As for Pagani styling, again, it’s totally a matter of personal taste. To me, the exterior body design is odd. It does nothing for me. Koenigsegg‘s look even more unimpressive, though the doors are very cool. I think the styling of both the Aventador and the 488 blow them both away. Seeing a LaFerrari on the road would be a much more impactful experience.

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You’ve answered your own question right here. If you don’t like the styling, why consider it?

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m not considering owning a one. The thread was simply inviting thoughts on Pagani. As I said, I love the whole idea of the company - the founder, the philosophy. I also think the interiors are incredible. Reminds me of the early Ferrari and Lamborghini days. But, I do wish the styling appealed to me and I also wish they designed and engineered their own engines. There’s just something missing without that. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche (and others) offer the full experience. And, before anyone says it again, I feel the same about the McLaren F1. I know many think it’s the wholly grail, but it doesn’t do much for me. Personally, I’m a Ferrari guy but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The fact that they outsource the engine would not hold me back in the least. I was very impressed with the attention to detail on the one Pagani I’ve seen in person and thought it had a lot more style and character than its contemporaries. I am a vintage guy through and through but would consider the Pagani first if I decided to go modern.

1slocrx likes this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    After spending a great deal of time at the Pagani stand yesterday at the Quail, my bottom line assessment is:

- Exciting boutique company with a highly managed brand persona.

- Absolutely incredible interior designs. Unlike anything if ever seen. Total art.

- Stunning artistic craftsmanship

- Horrific exterior design. While of course this is subjective, the exteriors are like cartoons.

- Lack of real in-house powerplant engineering falls short of a total and true marquee. Yeah, I know every will mention the McLaren F1 but that car never did it for me either.

So, design something that isn’t silly to wrap around those incredible interiors, develop an in-house engine and then it will really excite me. Watch out. Otherwise, they are remarkable boutique works of art, which is also amazing.

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Massive respect for the art work. I actually like the exterior but don't particularly like the interior. Well, I should specify that I'm not a fan of the gauge cluster and alike. Too much bling IMO. As far as the engines - I imagine the volume is just too low to support all of the development and manufacturing costs.

23. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Mclaren still doesn't build their own motors.

maximilien likes this.
  24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT