Indy Pocono (possible spoilers) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Indy Pocono (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Jack-the-lad, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah got you. Yes fully agreed that I wish F1 implemented the canopy instead if we absolutely have to have it.

Doesn't drag you in and along....frankly I'm impressed if anyone can crash at that point anyhow ;)

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yes.... AFTER 50 feet of Kitty litter you have to run through. There is no F1 track that has a barrier like this right on the edge of the track.

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes. None that I'm able to share on a public forum. Fingers crossed for Robert as we wait.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    update:

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Would you be able to discuss this in a private pm or thru email ?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Montreal? Melbourne? Singapore?

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

All of Monza is surrounded by catch fencing. Makes it a terrible track as a spectator.

9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    In the interest of thread accuracy, it's 'chain link' fencing, not chicken wire which is approx. as thick in diameter as a medium point pen line..........it's aHUGE difference, and I'm pretty sure there varying degrees of quality/thickness/strength of chain link.

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Obviously they have the same fencing in the corners where people do tend to crash. But I know you know that. Also obviously crashes are going to be more violent in a 200 mph Indycar corner as opposed to a 90 mph F1 corner.

All tracks I’ve seen use a very similar design, horizontal load bearing tension cables supporting a chain link or wire grid mesh. The fence at Pocono isn’t substantially different in design, although from some pics I’ve seen age and condition may certainly have been less than desired. Maybe a newer, more resilient fence would have not grabbed and slowed the car as quickly?

Also I’ve never seen or heard of a superspeedway with 50 feet of kitty litter between the outside edge of the racing surface and the wall, but can think of several dozen reasons why that would be a terrible idea.

First two pics Pocono, the Indy, then Monza.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.
  11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The problem that ovals have and normal tracks don't is that the cars, if they climb the barrier, are along of the ride in the fence because of centrifugal force...When a car crashes on a road course it's unlikely to actually ''ride'' a fence, if they get so high in any case (normally the tyres/barriers do the job of keeping the car below it).

A solution? I haven't got one. Obviously no one wants the drivers to be gladiators, they know and accept the risk. My immediate attention would more be towards the canopy (but seeing as they're likely to implement that anyways I guess it's a mute point) to protect the head more than anything.

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Ovals of more than 1 mile length with extreme banking are not smart. They are probably doomed.

Bring back the Milwaukee Mile!

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Note to F1 poo-bahs: hire Rossi.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Haas should take him to replace Grojean. The PR for the team would be amazing.

I think the last time an American F1 driver raced in an American team was Dan Gurney.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    And a way for Rossi to get his foot into the porta of Ferrari. An American driving for S.F. That would be amazing.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Even more than that... the idea that and American driver can actually race in F1 again. It's been way too long. There needs to be more of a method for American drivers to get into F1. Haas could be that way in.

18. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael