Which 250 GTO is the best of the best? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Which 250 GTO is the best of the best?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 96redLT4, Feb 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

I perhaps wasn't specific enough but 'specification' for these cars seems to be their record of race history or lack of as a way to rank each example.
    There was lots of competition to buy a 250 GTO even when they were new. David Clarke tried to buy 3869 from Col Hoare but Ron Fry bought it. Then later Carl Richardson owned that GTO. Eventually Richard Clarke did get his RHD GTO.
    Very interesting about Lord Bamford and his choices, thank you!

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Not exactly.... when they weren't "new" any longer, there were more than a few owners that could not, and did not sell the GTO's they had easily or quickly. I wish I had a time machine now!

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    3647 GT didn’t have the easiest of lives during its in-period competition days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK and E60 M5 like this.
  4. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    PLEASE NOTE: The second photo in the post above (which shows #30 upside-down), is NOT #3647 GT. Apologies for the error.

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    No... it certainly did not have an easy life early on, but it was fixed back in the day by the factory, etc. And never a restoration.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    3851GT.

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    GTO's were "tools" as new race cars. They were built to be used hard and then discarded. No different than a carpenter's hammer and screwdriver. Do you want an antique hammer that was never used or an antique hammer worn out by building the White House.

Nembo1777, Lusso123 and BMWairhead like this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I agree with Dyke. Give me the old tools with great history and involvement any day of the week.
    And yes, Per Ferrari who used Fantuzzi, 3647GT body was repaired by Fantuzzi hence still done by/per factory, back in the day. Same as very many significant race cars. And this one was raced hard.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    For the sake of the history of 3647GT it would be good to know what proof there is that Fantuzzi repaired 3647GT after its last accident and what was done to it. Perhaps the owner also has the history or documentation as to who repaired/rebodied it after its previous 2 accidents???

tomgt likes this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I understand your points and questions, and about the history, but not everyone wants to put it all out there. I try to stay away from or completely out of a lot of back & forth in these forum discussions, which is what I've done with other topics - I just read, but don't post (learning my lesson...again. Guess should keep away from the keyboard). I do know that my friend has extensive information - documentation on his car, and I'm also sure he's not too keen on posting anything here about it. Sorry.

tomgt likes this.
  12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I too understand your points. I'm sure the owner doesn't give a flying fig what is written about 3647 on the net but to balance what may be perceived as the negative information and pictures of the 2 Goodwood crashes and at the Nurburgring which come up regularly, and also for fans of the car and other GTOs, I think that if there is documented proof that the car was properly and very importantly authentically repaired/rebodied by Scaglietti and by Fantuzzi on the instructions of Ferrari then that largely negates that adverse information and just makes 3647 all the more interesting. In fact thinking more about it, 3647 is owed the Scaglietti/Fantuzzi positive information to be out there, if that is the case. Just my opinion.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    NürScud likes this.
  14. cheesey2

cheesey2 Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ivars Blumenau
    if a current uninformed Ferrari buyer ordered a Carfax on a 250 GTO, they would run away from the car they were looking at... the cars were raced and otherwise enjoyed... with little of the original left in some cases... don't know if there if a "virgin" car exists, same goes for the 330LMB.... these cars sell on how their history presents itself and how well they have been refurbished... the "best" would be of personal opinion or by a consensus of opinions with a split going between the chasis and history for total score

15. cheesey2

cheesey2 Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ivars Blumenau

16. cheesey2

cheesey2 Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ivars Blumenau
    I believe this car just came out of the shop for damages sustained in Europe during a Ferrari event a couple years ago

17. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    It did but it has been without its original body for decades, so no harm done basically.

As for GTO originality, there are some very well preserved ones. Overall I think most of the GTOs survived the period racing quite well, if you compare it to the 250LM. The LMs are extremely prone to fire and quite a few have been burned beyond recognition. I would be more concerned with such a car than with a GTO which may had a "usual" racing crash back in the day.