David Bull Ferrari Bio | Page 2 | FerrariChat

David Bull Ferrari Bio

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Sharknose, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Now I have started to read my copy. It is surely an impressive work. Already in the first chapter Dal Monte comes with a first revelation. How many books/articles have brought the story that little Enzo was born the 18th of February yet his father came to town hall the 20th due to heavy snow. In reality it went quite different. Surprising. He also tells many other well known stories, with some he even goes further and relates what was not yet known, in some cases even 'unbelievable'.

His work is vast and researched as he references to all his sources continuously. Now here I started to wonder. He has interviewed several persons who were close to the man for years like the late France Gozzi. Yet 'only' these are mentioned. Missing no doubt is input from for instance Forghieri. Dal Monte does refer to quoting his book, as he does with many more. Yet in my opinion he could have interviewed several more. Brenda Vernor for instance, Coco Chinetti, etc. No drivers have been interview it seems. Dal Monte did have access to many people as he worked for the brand for a substantial period, in Italy and the US.

He quotes many books, including the Enzo Ferrari books (Italian, no Tanner-Nye). With newspapers he mainly used il Gazetto dello Sport and the famous daily's. A wealth of info no doubt, yet it looks a bit one sided, limited to Italian sources only.

The book is translated from Italian, yet makes a pleasant read and is open to anyone who is interested as well as the dedicated fan. Is it the definitive works on the man. Well still there remain many stories to be told, and no work on him will ever be definitive, but here is the first integral, referenced opus that may grow to become the 'bible'.

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Over 900 pages but the print is big and the pages are small. And, it's so well written that it goes by quicker than expected. I loved it.

My impressions are - What a painful relationship with his wife, Laura Garello.
    It was absolutely unavoidable for him not to get involved with the fascist political scene leading up to WWII.
    Although the loss of Dino was well known before, this tome takes the details further.

That's just a few of my thoughts

Again, it's well worth the modest price of the book and the time spent with it.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What is interesting is that the author translated the book into English himself. That is because he spent his last year in high school and his entire collegiate career in the U.S.! (He's a Kentucky Wildcat, by the way.) You can read his biography here: http://www.lucadalmonte.net/en/biografia/

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think that is what makes the book so much better. English books have to rely on either English speakers or getting translations done... but he was able to talk to a lot of people who were not put on guard by a foreigner...

I agree the spousal relationship must have been pretty hard. and the relationship with his mother and wife must have been something else. but also explains why he stayed at the factory all the time. also the affair with Fiammina Breschi and Lina Lardi - paints a completely different picture of the Enzo most Ferraristi know. the part I like is when he was starting out driving and how he was gaining experience - he was very calculating ... and then his utter loss of confidence when he made it to the big time. I think that shows why he was so jealous of later WDC's like Fangio. he was always tough on the world champions... and doted on the natural talent guys who had flaws.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That even applied in the movies; "Grand Prix" was quite accurate in painting the relationship between Ferrari and his drivers. Consider this conversation in the Monza pits between Manetta (Enzo in everything except name) and Sarti (a two-time World Champion):

Manetta: The question is, Jean-Pierre, what are you doing to do about it?

Sarti: Do? I don't understand.

Manetta: The time for losing comes to every man, of course. I had not expected yours to come so soon.

Sarti: There have been problems with the car!

Manetta: Come, come, Sarti. I expect excuses like that from lesser men than you. You have been one of the best that ever lived, there is no question of that in my mind. Never a wrong move, concentration always there, 100 percent, till this woman.

Sarti: You have been misled, Sr. Manetta. Do you take me for a trained dog, to jump at the snap of your fingers? My life belongs to no one but myself!

Manetta: I have been thinking seriously of your retirement, Sarti.

Sarti: [Angrily] Then retire me now!

[Manetta pulls Sarti away from bystanders]

Manetta: [Quietly] Kindly lower your voice! Of course I will not retire you now. Tomorrow there is a race to be run, and I also well know that you want to drive it. After tomorrow, who knows, Jean-Pierre?

Sarti: After tomorrow, Sr. Manetta, *I* will decide to retire or not.

Manetta: Sarti, you're further gone than I'd thought. A pity, a great pity. I always considered you to be the best.

Sarti: I'm *still* the best!

And in the race the next day, after stalling at the start, Sarti crashes to his death, trying too hard to prove his point to Manetta!

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There are some fairly critical comments about the book on The Nostalgia Firm book thread at autosport.com

7. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    I can not say that I am completely surprised. Dal Monte's book is, in essence, a fine synopsis of a large amount of previously published Italian language sources. Naturally, these sources have their own perceptions and biases which, for the most part, have been left intact. At times these conflict with the prevailing line of thought that has been passed down through the years in a variety of English language sources. Heretofore, the language barrier has largely kept these two streams of thought apart. What I found interesting, having read both editions, is was that there appears to have been some attempt to moderate the treatment some subjects received in the English language edition. For instance, I seem to recall Phil Hill receiving harsher judgment in the Italian language book.

8. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    tifoso2728 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Which would be interesting, since Dal Monte translated his own book into English himself!

10. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    "The Italian Job" ???

11. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Interesting? Perhaps. Surprising? Not really. Dal Monte went to school in the US and is very knowledgable about this country. Basically, it appears to me that he has tried to tone down material that might offend American sensibilities.

12. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I have reached the 1956 season and am looking forward to his description of the 1961-67 seasons. A very interesting and readable biography/history.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The author is going to be at the local Ferrari dealer next week to sign autographs and promote the book.
    Any questions i need to ask?

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yes. Why ONLY 940 pages?:):mad::cool::p:D

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  15. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Do you have a schedule for his book tour? I checked his website and he only lists Italian locations. Thanks.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No, all I know is his visit to Detroit, next week

17. sylar91

sylar91 Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
  18. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    Thanks guys. I've sent a note to him directly to see where else he will be.

19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you get the schedule would you mind posting it here?

Thank you.

Jack.

20. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    I heard back from Mr. Dal Monte:

After Mexico City I will be doing book signing events in Detroit on October 9, Boston on October 11, Philadelphia on October 13 and New York City on October 16. I am afraid that this time I cannot come all the way to the West Coast.

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you. I won't be able to go to any of those venues, unfortunately.

22. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Any information on the New York City visit would be appreciated

23. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    of2worlds likes this.
  24. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You're welcome, and likewise. The Simeone would have been a fun venue. @jm2, please let us know how the Detroit signing is.