Is Alonso overrated? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Is Alonso overrated?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And Derek Bell in the current issue of Octane.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's an hypocritical PR exercise, and you fall for it.
    Do you think people speak their mind all the time?
    You have a journalist who jumps in front of a F1 personality, and ask about Alonso.
    Most of the time the people will give an evasive answer or false praise just not to air their views in public.
    After all, they still have to meet Alonso in the paddock, etc..and there is no need to antagonise him: it's just not cool.

The reality shows that Alonso isn't well liked; to the point that no one offered him a drive, in spite of his alledged driving talent.
    How do you explain that?
    He isn't on any sponsor's wish list, and managers don't want him around their team.
    Many have understood that he is a liability, and not an asset.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly !!!

That's his true Worth: nobody wants him !

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why must you persist with the childish, insulting "you seem confused" nonsense? You do understand that people say different things and sometimes contradict other things they've said. Right?That doesn't mean those comments just cancel each other out or render any of the others meaningless.

I'm not at all confused. It's all right here in black and white. Trying to pretend they didn't say these things just because you found some other quotes that don't agree ... just makes you look silly and exposes your agenda.

Lauda:

"(Alonso) is the best driver that there is in F1 today, he is the one with the most experience and see where he is. The Ferrari does not work and he can not do anything. But even if he does not have a car that allows him to prove it, he is still the best. "
    http://www.f1aldia.com/14921/niki-lauda-fernando-alonso-mejor-piloto-hay-hoy-dia/

"He reminds me of myself, and a little bit of Prost," Austrian Lauda is quoted as saying. "We were analytical, and Fernando too has a vision of the race that no one else can match."
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/world-champions-admire-2012-favourite-alonso/423649/?nrt=54

"Fernando Alonso is the best on the grid, although he knows perfectly well that Renault is his Achilles heel. Despite this, in any circumstance, in any circuit, he tries to get all the best out of his car and demonstrate all its qualities ".
    http://www.sportlifepress.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3067:niki-lauda-fernando-alonso-es-el-mejor-piloto-de-la-parrilla-actual&catid=35:noticias-f1&Itemid=99

"Alonso is the best driver in Formula 1 today. There is no other like him. It's better than Vettel, than Hamilton and any of the others. He is quick, has brains and experience and is aggressive at the same time. It is the most complete. He's smart, he understands the team and he knows what to do to get the best car. "
    http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Alonso/solo/critico/argumentos/elpepidep/20100910elpepidep_4/Tes

"He is the best current driver. When viewed together, valuing speed, intelligence, the ability to take risks and the efficiency to earn points, is simply the best. "
    http://www.todof1.net/index.php/Circuitos-2010/niki-lauda-qapuesto-por-alonso-para-ganar-el-mundialq.html

Re: Marko, are you actually saying he and Horner didn't try to sign Alonso?

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those teams don't need him. By your logic, nobody wants Ricciardo, either.

6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #106 hairy_scotsman, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    This is actually a good point, one that I was hinting around in my last response to furoni. What you don't seem to realize, however, is that it cuts both ways. For example, Horner and Marko never had negative words for Alonso before he turned them down.

I'm not 'falling for' anything, at least not any more than you are.

Your argument falls apart a bit though when you say they only make nice comments to avoid making harsh ones. They made the harsh comments anyway.

Re: "Nobody offering Alonso a drive", I've explained it repeatedly. The tops teams don't need Alonso or Ricciardo. They're happy with the status quo of a star driver and a "sensational wingman". If they needed a top driver of Ricciardo's or Alonso's caliber, they would have hired one.

Alonso has twice been hired back to a team he drove for previously. He's been hired 6 times. McLaren tried like hell to keep him in F1 and apparently has kept him in McLaren at least for the time being. Nobody will hire him? Ridiculous.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ricciardo got a drive, because he is attractive to a team, and he brings no "baggage" with him.
    He is fast, compsed, enthusiastic, pleasant to talk too, and an asset to a sponsor.
    You seem to forget that sponsors have a lot of influence and Ricciardo is very marketable.

You may worship Alonso, but nobody wants him, and for good reasons too ...

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Again you seem confused, you initially tried to say no one thinks he's a bad influence in a team, nobody said he was a bad driver...so far i see no one contradicting that, everyone recognizes his talent in the track, just as everyone recognizes he's poison inside the team....truth is as many said, if he wasn't such a scumbag he would get a place in any good team....Prsot, Senna, mansell, they all had theyr issues but the moment they were free there was a top team grabing them....but no one..i repeat no one want's Alonso..go figure!!

william likes this.
  9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, Ricciardo got a drive, but not a top one. Renault isn't winning anything at least until 2021. He talked openly of his interest in Kimi's seat & iirc also of Bottas seat, just like any sane, unsigned F1 driver would. Renault signing him was a huge surprise all around, precisely because it's not the top drive everyone thought Ricciardo was worthy of. The only sense it really makes for Danny is that maybe they offered him a lot of money and maybe he saw the writing on the wall re: Max and didn't like the prospect of being RBR's sensational wingman.

I don't worship any athlete or driver. I also don't have it out for any of them, unlike some. I've never understood that nonsense or why so many go out of their way to heap as much negativity as possible on someone they don't know.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sticking with the childish insults, I see.

You should probably read a bit more carefully before making the idiotic "you're confused" remarks or accusing me of not understanding the discussion. You look pretty foolish calling me out over a line of reasoning I never presented.

I never said there's nobody who thinks Alonso can have a negative influence in a team. I merely showed (in response to your 2 assertions that only Flavio would ever say Alonso had a positive effect on a team) that there are a lot of respected F1 figures who think he's more than positive in the team dynamic.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, what are you arguing about this time?

Do you expect me to change my mind about Alonso?

It looks like you are flogging a dead horse here !!!!!

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And Alonso got none !!!!

Period.

13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Did you even bother to read the post? Who said anything about trying to change your mind? Are you trying to change my mind?

I'm just trying to have a reasonable, rational discussion, but the two of you certainly don't make that an easy task. I guess I picked the wrong the thread to try to talk about things like adults.

14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    LOL. At this point I can only assume you're a child poster or are simply just trolling me.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    huhu, resorting to insult are we...better be carefull or you'll get into a HAIRY problem....

william likes this.
  16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What do you mean? I didn't insult you.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOLO..funny thing is that not even Renault tried to get him, they spoke to Ocon, Ricci, even Sainz was an option...but i guess thet forgot about Nando....

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Let's just sai that you should refrain form using such words as "idiotic"
    Ps: i honestly don't care about it, but i've seen people get banned for similar things, and i see no need for that to happen in an inocent conversation like the one we are having...seriously, it's just an honest warning.

william likes this.
  19. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The two of you can't seem to (or simply won't) grasp that Alonso was (and I suppose still is) under contract to McLaren. And he doesn't come cheap. Renault has already said a while back that their program isn't at a level yet where they can justify spending that type of money for a driver. Ricciardo likely got a massive upgrade in salary while Renault got a very good driver at a good price, but not anything like the kind of money they'd have to pay Alonso. And why would Alonso even make the basically lateral move to Renault when he's very happy in the team at McLaren? Mercedes, Ferrari, and certainly RBR were not going to pay Alonso or any other driver (Ricciardo) a ton of money to just be an obedient number 2, which Alonso would never go for anyway. Nor should he or any top driver. And they don;t want anyone disturbing or challenging their top guys (a defensible strategy, to be sure), or they wouldn't be running the lineups they run. RBR has had some good competition after Webber left, but they seem to be abandoning that with the hiring of Gasly.

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #120 hairy_scotsman, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    I didn't call you an idiot. I said it's idiotic to keep using silly tactics like calling someone "confused" over and over in light of direct evidence to the contrary, and in light of the fact that you're the one who can't seem to follow the thread with any degree of accuracy while hurling accusations. If the use of that word in response to your extreme unwillingness to conduct an adult, rational discussion gets me banned, then so be it. I'll just go to AS and post with people who can disagree in an intelligent and respectful manner.

And there is nothing at all "innocent" about the nature of your participation in this thread. Please.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I couldn't care less about your mind. If you think Alonso is a top guy, that's your problem.

But let me at least have my own opinion about him, and don't try to change it.

I don't really want to discuss my opinion, and I am not about to change it either. So there ...

This thread is about Alonso being overrated and almost 1 out of 5 think he is.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't know who is trolling who here.

You keep challenging my opinion.

Can't you just accept that some people think differently than you ?

I feel I am being aggressed by a mormon preacher here !!!

23. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    I have much respect for Alonso. I think the media may hype everything he does up which causes the "overrated" look but he's a phenomenal driver. Even in the crap McLaren he can still drive the wheels off of it for what he has available.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oooo ... almost 1 of 5? Wow. Keep it up, I bet you can get it up to 25% if you work really, really hard.

LOL. Dude. SMH. This whole thing started with you replying to a post of mine, off the topic of Alonso being overrated, trying to convince me that Alonso is running everything at McLaren ... trying to change my opinion about Alonso.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I never try to change anyone's opinion. It's a futile exercise.

It's you constantly asking for proof, and wanting to demonstrate that Alonso's critics are wrong to express an opinion.

Alonso's influence at McLaren has been enormous. He has managed to completely demoralise the team with his tantrums, alienated their engine supplier, convinced Zak Brown to divert funds to an Indy excursion for his own benefit, to adopt Renault power, etc ...
    And finally Alonso drops McLaren in a calculated theatrical gesture to satisfy his ego ... IMO, all the evidences are there that he is grossly overrated !

furoni likes this.