Ferrari FF battery, aftermarket alternative found | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF battery, aftermarket alternative found

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by boostorbust, Oct 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    yamashek likes this.
  2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi, I know you mean well but it appears the battery you selected is the wrong one for the FF. While the Group 49 H8 battery you found is the correct size it is just a standard lead-acid battery.

The correct Interstate battery model is actually MT5-49/H8, which is an AGM battery. Here is the actual specification for the FF battery from the owner's manual. The L5 size is the Euro term for H8, which is North American terminology:

And here's the webpage on the correct AGM battery from the Interstate website.

The reason why you need an AGM battery is likely due to the combination of a high-revving V12 engine (12 spark plugs going at up to 8250 rpm) as well as the myriad electronic devices and circuits in an FF. If you use a standard lead-acid battery, it can affect the performance of the engine or even fail prematurely.

megamarco9, 350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. Tony102385

Tony102385 Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    Switch to the agm battery. The car will have issues if you don't. I have done this on a porsche and had issues until I put in the correct agm battery.

4. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    I guess we are going to find out in the real world if there are going to issues with a non AGM battery as it's already installed and completed. Thanks for that information.

It's a bear to get out!

5. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    ^ This.

Plus starting a 6.3liter high compression engine must put quite some stress on the battery!

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
  7. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Took the FF out today runs perfect and starts great with a non AGM battery. Will keep it for now and when I need a new one I will replace with a AGM

8. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    As long as the flooded battery has the same CCA and amp-hour rating as the AGM, the car should work equally well with either battery. It will not be able to tell the two batteries apart.

The advantage of the AGM is a lower self-discharge rate, which is on the order of 1% per month. The flooded cell will self-discharge at around 3% per month.

The AGM battery is safer because it does not produce hydrogen gas during charging and there is no liquid acid electrolyte to spill.

The AGM also has the advantage of a higher charge acceptance rate, but that should not be much of an issue with a starting battery.

The advantage of the flooded battery is that it is more tolerant of undercharge and overcharge. The AGM does not like to go much below 20% discharge. The flooded cell is fine at up to 50 % discharge. If the flooded cell gets overcharged, it will just boil off water which can be replaced. If the AGM gets overcharged, it will trip a safety vent and will be irreversibly damaged.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ^ thank you for your additional insights and comments. However, I would note the Interstate Battery text I highlighted in PURPLE in the screenshot I attached above, where it says "Recommended for...high accessory load vehicles...".

Starting the engine is a very brief 1-time event over a multi-minute or multi-hour use of the FF so unless it is a HELE car, used in heavy traffic, the current draw from starting the engine is not significant. Ferrari and other car manufacturers also provide battery tenders so the use AGM batteries obviously did not obviate the need for Ferrari to spend money on battery tenders to avoid discharged batteries from lack of vehicle use.

IMO, it is the constant draw on the battery from the high-revving engine and sensitive electronics (that otherwise throw many spurious fault codes) which warranted the use of AGM batteries in the FF (and the F12). It's primarily the ability of AGM batteries to supply ACCURATE voltage at a high constant rate of current matched by an equally rapid recharge rate that justifies its extra cost over standard lead-acid batteries. Here's an excerpt from the "Battery University" webpage on AGM batteries. Simply put, Ferrari needs its cars to reliably perform at high levels for owners who care about driving their Ferraris. It is not worried about feeling responsible for owners who don't drive their cars ...and don't use the battery tenders provided.

"...AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled...".​

"...The leading advantages of AGM are a charge that is up to five times faster than the flooded version...".

richierobs likes this.
  10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Don't you also have to monitor the fluid level in each cell of the lead acid battery? How do you manage to do that in that cramped battery compartment?

11. Thebabydoc

Thebabydoc Rookie

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Yunis
    #11 Thebabydoc, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks for updating new battery models that are available. Well, it looks like Interstate has decreased the MSRP by around 1/3 and extend warranty period by 6M to be more in line with DieHard Gold battery. After all, it's likely all these AGM batteries are made by the same company, ie Johnson Control.

So as long as it's the same group 49, the battery will fit, right?

13. Thebabydoc

Thebabydoc Rookie

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Yunis
    We'll see. I was going to go with the Interstate because of the 1000 CCA but I ordered the DieHard
    with the 36 month warranty from Amazon with 20% off and 5% cash back on my Amazon Card it
    was under $200. They all had the same dimensions, My guess is that post position could be an issue.

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Those two are comparable. For CCA, I see Interstate's spec as 900 and thus only 50 more than DieHard's 850. True, Intersate's CA is 1000 and I can't find DieHard's CA. On the other hand, DieHard RC is slightly more at 170 compared to Interstate's 160. So either one is good.

So did the DieHard fit?

15. Thebabydoc

Thebabydoc Rookie

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Yunis
    Die hard is in and working flawlessly.
    $160 for battery, $153 for install. Don't even ask.

otakki likes this.
  16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Ok annual service at dealership suggest new battery total $830, any new suggestions since last post.
    2015 FF 7500 miles.
    D.

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Asking for product suggestion dealership replacing with interstate.

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Definitely go for the Interstate model as indicated earlier in this threat, or another quality aftermarket one, ie DieHard. Avoid having them put in another OEM red-top Odyssey battery. If you opt to tackle the PITA battery replacement yourself, it will only be around $150-$175 for the Interstate battery.

19. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Interstate ordered $220 plus installed fee, Ferrari FtLauderdale say they now install interstate.

otakki likes this.