So Who Has Been Here the Longest - Without Ever Owning a Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

So Who Has Been Here the Longest - Without Ever Owning a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You probably did I was the skinny kid with hair halfway down my back ducking in around with something smoking in my hands and mouth. It cost me my hearing but what a time it was.

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am in the opposite position of the premise of this thread. When I joined F-chat 16 years ago this week, my family had a '68 365GT 2+2 and a '55 500 Mondial. I had the 365 for 10 years and sold it in 2010. As of next Friday, we are auctioning off the 500 Mondial at Gooding in Pebble; and the fam will be Ferrari-less for the first time since May, 1960 . . . .

My father and the Mondial were featured in the latest episode of Jay Leno's Garage released earlier this week. Enjoy if you haven't already seen it.

ChuckEBaby, kestrou, jm2 and 8 others like this.
  3. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    13 years and 17 weeks for me. Still a goal.

4. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Been lurking for years, officially on the board about 5. Have owned tons of fun sports cars but never in the class of a Ferrari. One day I will, I am not in any hurry. I just need to upgrade my garage and tools, get the kids into college and the wife off to the country club. For now, I sport my fourth (okay, fifth if you count a donor car) Acura NSX. For what its worth, I run Tubi exhaust on them all. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    You almost sound like I was 20 years ago. I wasn't yearning for a Ferrari but rather a late 60's mustang (still am if I'm honest). However at 35 years old those 20 years ago I was planning to treat myself for my 40th. The 'her indoors' at the time said it was not possible I should look at something else. I think she regretted that.
    I wanted a 308 but they were then just out of my reach (not dissimilar in many respects today, in the UK they average for more than my current 360) but found an affordable Mondial. Three Ferraris (in series) down the line and I'm hooked. I suspect come my retirement (whenever that might be) I will end up swapping the Ferrari for that Mustang fastback I suspect.

Not a bad car by any means. Certainly my favourite Japanese car by a country mile.

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On that note, does anyone know if Uro is still thinking of buying a Ferrari some day? :p

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm at 15 years now - I joined the summer before law school - and it was 12.5 before I got my car. Crazy to think it was even several years before Facebook took off and social media was so prevalent.

I went to a lot of meets and activities in those first 7-8 years and got to know a lot of people here in person. It really is special.

Doug., Eric C, mchas and 1 other person like this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I thought I was until I read this thread... LOL Driven them, ridden in them, love them etc.

9. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    #59 Doug., Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    So very well said. I joined here over 14 years ago just days after my first experience with a yellow 360 Modena when I was a young teenager. For years I was on FChat daily, completely obsessed with everything about the marque. I grew out of the teenage obsession and latched onto other things, joined the service, traveled a bunch and got different priorities along the way. I'm 31 now, on my way out of the service and seem to be migrating back to hobbies and interests that I obsessed over when I was a teenager, sort of coming full circle I guess. It's interesting when that happens, you realize how far you've come and what you can now have that before seemed so impossible. I'm not quite financially ready for a 360 Modena...but in the next few years the time will be right.

What was surprising to me, as you said about having less of a desire to own one now, is that I always thought I wanted a Ferrari but I didn't see myself ever being able to afford a new one. With what gives me purpose in work I likely won't ever afford a new model F car...but now, that thought makes me happy, because it's still just as much today as it was then, the visceral, raw, electronic-less F cars of the 90's and early 2000's that I lust over far moreso than the new technical wizardry coming out of the factory today. I am so much more emotionally connected to the cars of my youth, and those are the only models I'm interested in purchasing in the future.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well I'm poor again.....bought a Ford instead of a Ferrari so my ownerless streak continues. I have $60k left in the car fund, but out of garage space.

11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I bought my first one a few years after joining in 07'. I'm not even sure what I joined when I did. Ferrari's were always out of reach for me and I never imagined I'd own one.

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I never knew this site existed until I bought a Ferrari...

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let's see, it has been almost 12 years since I sold my last Ferrari. Does that count?

Matt LaMotte and G. Pepper like this.
  14. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Which one was that Dale?

15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Was that 12 years since you sold one of your Ferraris or 12 years since you sold the last Ferrari you owned?

16. Shtut

Shtut Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alexander Shtutman
    Just joined today for some motivation. Looking to buy a 458 within 2-3 years. My goal has always been to work my way up to own a Ferrari before I turn 35. Much respect to all of you. Can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have owned three Ferraris.

* 1998 Maranello brought in 2003 and sold in 2008;
    * 2004 Challenge Stradale brought in 2004 and sold in 2005; and
    * 1967 GTC brought in 2005 and sold in 2008.

Funny thing is I took a financial beating on the Maranello. (I broke even on the Stradale and made money on the GTC.) I drove it 20,000 miles, and it cost me at least $60,000 round trip. But, of the three cars, I miss the Maranello the most. Go figure, huh?

ShineKen likes this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The good news it would be the cheapest to re-acquire by quite a stretch

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    good luck Alexander and welcome to Ferrarichat...

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    2005 Ford GT?

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, although the lady on the phone at the insurance company thought it had to be a Mustang....

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sweet! Congrats. Had to ask when you posted a VIN a while back and it was a GT. Not a bad alternative to an Fcar, but I'm sure some here will give you some flak lol. I love them.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well this is a Ferrari forum...so flack is expected. I just didn’t find a Ferrari model that checked enough boxes. In the V8 line Ferrari makes a lot of cars, so exclusivity is watered down. The Scuderia was the only real contender that I could afford that exuded “special” to me. I would love to get a Boxer but it really came down to I could afford the car but not also the maintenance. Nothing else really did it for me in my price range.

The FGT checked pretty well every box, except I want to own a double clutch transmission one day.....that probably ends up being a DD at this point like a BMW M-car or some old man MB AMG

24. c5000

c5000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2011
    Fun thread. Joined 12 years a with the hope of buying an F355. Saw this thread in the F355 for sale mega thread. Prices have tripled now. Let’s see what 2024 brings, still hopeful :)

anunakki likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I sold my last Ferrari in 2008. Does that count?

Matt LaMotte and jm2 like this.