Do it yourself detailers | FerrariChat

Do it yourself detailers

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by PineChris, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Where are you buying your supplies? Chemical brothers? Sudz? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Check out obsessed garage. Good videos, good online store and good Facebook group

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Amazon, or straight from the maker.

I use hexlogic pads, I have a 3" air driven rotary, and a 6" Porter Cable. I use Menzerna Heavy cut (when needed), and 3500 polish, I use Jescar polymer sealer. For taking care of my own stuff, it's everything I need.

If I just wash and wax the daily drivers, it's a foam gun, and then Optimum (OPT corp.) car wax. The wax (really a polymer) is the single easiest stuff I've ever used, and I really want to try their sealer.

sjd

peterp and PineChris like this.
  4. cb804

cb804 Karting

May 8, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Carmen B.
    Another vote for Amazon. You can find a lot of different brands in one spot. Autogeek.net is awesome too. All name brands organized well. They will have everything you need.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know where you are in California, but in the LA area, you can visit 3D in the valley.

6. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Ammo USA and Detailersdomain.com

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Opti-Seal rocks!!!! (in my experience)

Now I really want to try their wax! :)

PineChris and steved033 like this.
  8. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I buy most, if not all my stuff from Esoteric Detail in Columbus Ohio. They offer great support of their products and fast shipping.

Ak Jim likes this.
  9. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Optiseal is good. I used to use it until I discovered GTechniq c2v3 was far better. Lasts significantly longer and better gloss in my option, but is definitely a little more finicky to apply, especially in the sun. Attached pics are both wearing c2v3 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

peterp likes this.
  10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks great. The great thing about Opti-Seal is that you can apply it with literally no effort while you dry the car (as shown about 1 minute into the video below). Although I feel that Opti-Seal lasts fairly long, I actually like that it isn't that permanent for enthusiast cars. I used Opti-Coat (the permanent version) on our DD and I'm happy with it for that application, but I specifically prefer Opti-Seal for enthusiast cars because it isn't as permanent. I'm probably in a minority in not wanting it to act like a ceramic.

Opti-Seal while drying technique about 1 minute into video:

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not in the minority at all. I try different products, all except the ceramics, as I enjoy detailing. I use Jescar synthetic (formerly menzerna) and/or pinnacle souveran caranuba paste, both available from amazon. But as above support our sponsors when possible.

peterp likes this.
  12. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
  13. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD