How does the FF compare in twisty roads? | FerrariChat

How does the FF compare in twisty roads?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hi everyone!
    Im a former tr owner with now 2 little twins which is getting me interested/curious in the ff...Ideally im getting a 512tr back but if i can’t im intrigued by the ff.
    The looks have grown on me, specially some cars i have seen with specs i enjoy. The sound is amazing but i guess i got to see if it feels special driving it.
    Having a s63 coupe im not sure rhe cabin will be much nicer, certainly not take wise...
    A straight line is a straight line too so i doubt the ff will also be a fame changer in that aspect there...

What im wondering for you owners or drvier who
    Have one compare to
    A s coupe or bentley gt for instance is:
    -Are the backseats roomier than those 2 coupes?
    -and above all how does the car fee in bends, in little mountains roads. I am scared it may feel heavy like an amg can but im hoping u tell me it’s totally different, glued to the road, u forget its size there and it comes alive like a super car.
    Any thoughts welcome;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    I can‘t compare to a Bentley or S Coupe, it it does feel surprisingly light footed to me (might be the quick steering rack) - the weight does show though if you switch to a mid-engined Ferrari (Scud in my case) and drive them back to back. Compared to a BMW 6 series Gran Coupe that i tired, the FF feels much more engaging.
    Am sure somebody will be along shotly who can compeare to the Benz

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the backseats arent great. i wld imagine it wld destroy those cars in twisty roads. the FF give a 458 a run for its money all day on twisties.

it drives way smaller than it is. feels like a glove. really is a 4 seater 458

TimboSlice, 350MH83, F12KID and 2 others like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Thanks guys that’s really helpful!

5. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    I think the backseats are very good, I sat back there (I'm 5'11'') for a long trip in the mountains and was comfortable. Little twins would love it!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    I also quite like the backseats - more space and more comfortable than in the aforementioned 6 Gran Coupe imo (for 2 people)

7. Natkingcolebasket69

I am not expecting it to gigantic but a bit bigger than a 6 series is great; easier selling point for wife that’s for sure;)

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Compared to the Benz and especially Bentley, the FF will feel like a supercar.

I had an FF and I had a Bentley and I also had the use of an S Class Coupe convertible for a week last year. The Bentley always felt ponderous and unable to control its mass. I really did not like this car. It just wasn't for me and let it go very quickly. The Mercedes does a far superior job to the Bentley of controlling its masses and it felt substantial and still comfortable. The Bentley is superior for opulence and if you really value a super cushy ride. Both cars feel heavy to drive. That's part of their appeal. The FF is way more of a sports GT and feels much more nimble. It has substance to its drive, but it won't feel as substantial to either the Benz or the Bentley.

The FF and I never quite gelled. I think it was simply my expectation at the time- I had sold a number of cars and was hoping the FF would be kind of like having a 4 seat 458 I could drive every day. At least for me it was not meant to be. It never shrunk around me and I could feel the AWD system working which I found it distracting. So it wasn't quite "Ferrari" enough to replace other Ferraris and it wasn't quite comfortable enough and it lacked some of the higher tech features I like in a daily that it couldn't replace my daily sedan. However, my experience seems to be outside the norm and I wonder if my car didn't have something slightly wrong.

I have to say, if you had the same driver in these cars, I think a 458 would eat an FF up in the twists. The FF weighs a good 800lbs more and it might not feel all of it, it definitely feels some of it. If you want a real sports car, that's not the FF. The FF is what I would call a sports GT.

Regarding back seat space, you will be surprised that the FF has a lot of room. I think likely more room than the S Class coupe. I was surprised at the relative lack of room in the S Class Coupe convertible- maybe the regular coupe has more room. I don't remember my Bentley that well because it was an even quicker affair. But I think the FF has more room. The GTC4 I test drove (and ordered!) last year has just a tiny bit more leg room than the FF and I could fit myself (5'5") and the salesperson (6'0") on one side and there was a good 3" of space between the seat back and my knees in the back.

Based on the fact that I think my experience isn't the norm, I think if you are looking for a 4 seat Ferrari you can enjoy with your family, so you can enjoy that V12 and will definitely still be quite sporty, you will likely be very pleased with the FF. Just don't expect it to be a 4 seat 458, nor a Ferrari S-Class. Its really its own unique thing. I think my expectations were my mistake. I would suggest a later model and make sure to get the Michelin tires as I found the ride on the Pirellis of the time to be pretty bad.

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The FF is NOT a mid-engined sports car. It is a front engined V12 sports car. It doesn’t feel at all like the 458, but it does have sporting pretensions like the 458, particularly when compared with a Bentley. It drives like a brute but it has feedback, feel, sound, and allows the driver to get into a rewarding flow. I personally like the way the mid-engined cars weight up in corners and the FF feels less natural than this. The Lusso is better in this regard with the RWS. But make no mistake, the FF is a proper performance car that also does GT stuff, and the back seats are great. You can fairly easily take 6ft adults long distances.

A good choice IMO and the FF/Lusso both have a unique characteristic that you only get to experience with ownership - a Ferrari that can go anywhere, at any speed, with 4 people, 4wd when needed, and always a Ferrari. It is THE answer to “1 car for the rest of your life...” (which is a terrible question, but still).

F12KID, Sonicsound, otakki and 3 others like this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Thank you for your precious answer! Very useful!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Just go test drive it! I have both 458 and FF. Don't expect FF to be a 4 seat 458, like you would not expect 458 to be a V8 F12. They are all different cars for different purpose. FF is a Ferrari GT car with 4 legit adult seats. Your family structure with your enthusiasm for car driving experience is what FF targets for, once you like how it looks.

Test drive one. FF is awesome! My family loves it! I definitely like how it looks and especially how it sounds. Driving to Vegas is awesome.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Test driving this coming weekend. Unftly doubt i can take it to twisties;)

F12KID and iloveferrari like this.
  13. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The Lusso T is much sportier due to less weight and the low-end torque. The Lusso T is also less expensive than a Lusso 12 although not as low as a used FF, or course.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

This. I had so much fun driving the FF on bear mountain drive during a FCA event last year. No problem keeping up with a TDF and 458. The car shrinks the faster you go.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

U guys are slowly selling it to me.
    Truth i used to find ugly; reminiscent of a fiat bravo with a bmw z3...but some specs i have seem black with black rims or red with black rims, diamond stitching really started to make it grow on me.
    In person it is definitely prettier and a lot of car for the money.
    I have the budget for a 2014-2015 with max 12-15 k miles and i was suprised to find plenty in that range with some years of ferrari care still to come.
    Also extended warranty for 1year )power train) was quoted at only 5k ... a no brainer to me!

amenasce likes this.
  16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I've owned mine since new in 2012 and I still find it ugly from the side. Front and rear look good!

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

F12KID and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    It really does shrink a lot around you.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

I believe chris harris loved driving it in its review and he said even in traffic fhere is a sense of occasion in it.he didnt like the loud exhaust and poor trim of some finishes but loved it overall.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    A friend in our local FCA chapter went to a track event sponsored by Ferrari shortly after the FF came out. All the Ferrari drivers were in FF's. None of the clients could keep up.

These are very well off clients who have had a lot of track training. Two of them had Enzos. Again, nobody could keep up with the Ferrari drivers in FF's.

I sure wouldn't worry about the FF's handling with my puny abilities.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Now that is a very good piece of information... i just wish it looked like my old tr;(
    It does seem to sound pretty great though!

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The FF 100 percent can stay or pull on a 458. I've put more miles on 2 458s and an FF then most. The FF is absolutely comparable to a 458. And anywhere below 8/10ths it's irrelevant and immeasurable anyway. An FF on "twisty roads" is as close to bliss as ur gonna get.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

-K1-, TimboSlice, F12KID and 6 others like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think its a question of where and who is driving. When I was driving I never thought the FF could and when I've been on track with others in the FF I could leave them in my 458, but my car is putting out some more power with the NR software and exhaust. On the road it probably is a moot point in any of these cars. Last year I kept up with a bunch of Bugattis in my F12. They were shocked. They simply can't go that fast on the road. And it was pouring out...

24. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I just drove the FF to pick up the birthday cake and my daughter from school. It was parked in a underground parking, and my wife kept telling me "no, don't rev it". I was like "oh, now I am going to rev it" The sound is simply AWESOME!

TimboSlice, dustman, ryalex and 7 others like this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Sounds like my wife lol