NASCAR 2018 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations? If Brian and JC are the best they got they're in big trouble. Used to think Lesa had a head on her shoulders but Kansas put an end to that.

2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What NASCAR and their hack media lap dogs should be paying attention to here is how other
    series (be it Indy Car, Formula One, etc.) aren't publicly wringing their hands anticipating how
    this incident benefits them as they would (say) when anything befalls these other series.

A perfect case in point was the Formula One Michelin debacle at Indianapolis. The resulting
    media fallout included a NASCAR media hack who came on TV to explain how it all benefitted
    NASCAR (and evidently how NASCAR is the superior sport) and how F1 had lost so much
    face in the incident that they had no credibility.

Take a lesson here NASCAR media, we've not seen a single statement emanating from Indy Car,
    Formula One, etc. making any such crass statements.

BHW

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    For those of us not in the know, what does the reference to Kansas mean?

BHW

5. High Sierra

High Sierra Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    AGL
    Full Name:
    Britt
    anyone.....what did she do that was so bad?

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not knowing really anything about Lesa France Kennedy until mentioned on this thread, they've got her
    CV posted on the ISC's website.

It seems she was tasked/involved with the implementation of Kansas Speedway and Chicagoland Speedway in the early naughties. She has an impressive resume including graduating from Duke so she must have something on the ball.

She's now involved in this "Daytona Rising" thing, the $400+M project that included the revamping of DIS grandstands and the new complex they're building across from DIS. This is going to be
    a mixed use entertainment and shopping complex and evidently they've got a similar type situation at
    Kansas.

All of this is interesting of course but I'm not seeing anything suggesting that there is a controversy or
    legal schlegel issues surrounding Kansas but then again, I haven't really dug too deep either.

http://www.internationalspeedwaycorporation.com/The-Team/Senior-Management/Leaders/Lesa-France-Kennedy.aspx

BHW

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Credit where credit is due.

Clicked on the link on Motorsport.com, Michigan starting line up in pictures today.

Got to say, the colors and graphics on the NASCAR cars look great. They're obviously
    going for what looks best on TV of course and there is a sort of uniformity to them all
    now so its probably mandated from above but the color schemes are cool and make
    those **** wagons look half way decent.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-cup-michigan-starting-lineup-in-pictures/3157746/?nrt=119#gal-3157746-0-kevin-harvick-stewart-haas-racing-ford-fusion-busch-light-mobil-1

BHW

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    With the recent Greg Biffle debacle playing out in the courts and press, they may want to rethink this.

BHW

GuyIncognito likes this.
  11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :D:D:D

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I remember on Wind Tunnel one night, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Jr. Jr's biggest fan boy Dave Despain was all
    in favor of an all Jr. Jr. Jr. reality show following him all over the place away from the race track, all this,
    must have been 2007-08.

Despain actually said, "Who wouldn't be watching this?" and he was dead serious.

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Kasey Kahne packs it in, retires from full time Cup racing.

14. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes, of course! I can easily imagine Jr. capturing my undivided attention for easily 15 maybe even 20...

seconds.

15. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I"m watching NASCAR work truck race live. Granted, it's Thursday night but there is NO ONE there. Embarrassing for them.

16. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    All people including us have shorter attention spans. Nascar races are too long. Watch the start go golfing then tune in for the last 50 laps. The exception for me are the 24 hours of Lemanss,daytona,etc which are true endurance races. Nascar races are too long to be sprint races and too short to be an enduro. How about 500 K in stead of 500 M and a couple of enduros with a driver change.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, there is a lot that NASCAR could do to improve their product but will they?

History has shown NASCAR to be unwilling to move into modern times, they only started using
    radial tires in the mid-90s, their version of fuel injection (which is still essentially carburetred, right?)
    introduced less than ten years ago and anything having to do with actual competition going rather
    in the direction of show business.

If they wanted to use a model of what American stock car racing could be, all they need to do is
    look to the Australian V8 Supercar series. Essentially, the same manufactures Down Under with
    cars that are relevant racing on mixed road course and ovals that still draw incredible crowds at
    spectacular venues such as Mount Panorama.

Read the other day that they're considering the notion of shortening the schedule. That would be
    a good place to start as the 36 race schedule is ridiculous, the two annual visits to certain tracks
    would get so boring for drivers and teams after a while.

The public is starting to speak though by staying away from the venues, upset about ever rising
    ticket prices, TV ratings are down which should be put more down to boring racing and the
    announce teams which are more abrasive than fingernails on a chalkboard.

Does NASCAR listen? History has shown not really.

BHW

18. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the fundamentals are there. When I go to a long track the second lap where they are at full speed is still amazing to me. I like the cars and sounds.
    That said, I agree, the races are too long. The stage/segment or whatever it's called makes no sense to me. The races I've been too always have a full stop due to accident in the last 5 laps. While there are lots of lead changes it all seems very convoluted to me.

19. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    [QUOTE="BoulderFCar, post: 146153244, member: 15372"} The stage/segment or whatever it's called makes no sense to me. The races I've been too always have a full stop due to accident in the last 5 laps. While there are lots of lead changes it all seems very convoluted to me.[/QUOTE]

'Convoluted' or 'contrived'?

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Absolutely right, NASCAR on-track action with the cars all running side by side, nose to tail
    is a spectacle. It takes real balls to do what the driver do out there, I've always said it,
    especially when you see the cars up close and realize how flimsy they are.

It's when the heavy hand of NASCAR officialdom comes into play from high above the track
    in a locked room where they go off the rails. The constant tinkering with the rules, the never ending
    on-track nonsense (phantom yellows and the like) and the outright manipulation of the results
    which lend more to a professional wrestling event than racing.

And, this is nothing new. It has been going on for years now.

The stage racing is yet in another long line of convoluted elements meant to spice up the
    championships and to encourage teams/drivers to go for it at the front instead of waiting
    around at the back to until the end of the race. From what I've read, its not really working
    except for the broadcast networks which may book in more advertising during down times.

Over the years, most everything NASCAR has done with these insane rules is to dress the
    show up for TV. The problem is, they've watered it down to the point where the nonsense
    outweighs the spectacle which is really such a pity.

BHW

21. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    10 lap heat races. 12 lap consi and normally a 25 lap main event. Non stop action from beginning to end. Go to a sprint car race if you never have.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Furniture Row racing, defending NASCAR champion (with a great chance of a repeat), is shutting down after failing to find a sponsor for 2019.

NASCAR, you have a problem.

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It is nuts, but if a willing sponsor doesn't pony up the $$$, what else are you supposed to do? 5 Hour is pulling out for some reason, leaving a hole. The real problem is that NASCAR doesn't attract sponsors like it used to, leaving the question, "How can you NOT find a sponsor for a championship winning team?"