According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them | Page 2 | FerrariChat

According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tsachi458, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Lol. Perfect analogy. In fact, most people likely agree that Jennifer Aniston aged quite well and Heidi Klum may not be so much.

I do think 458 looks more timelessly classic than 488, maybe just like Aniston to Klum.

Sorry, I simply disagree. In fact, I sold the 2018 GT3 as I found the exhaust does nothing to me as the 458 does. I have also heard the RS well. (not the new RS). The Ferrari V8 does sound better. Maybe you don't like the screaming part of the V8? Notwithstanding the difference, I think Porsche does a miraculous job on its V6.

As to the V12 and V8 comparison. I have a feeling in what you mean. I think my V12 sounds smoother but I like the V8 scream much better.

2. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I drove the McLaren and it was scary! Had a bad feeling with it and I had a great feeling with 458, 488, Huracan and Huracan Performante.
    720 is not an easy car to drive at the limit (this is my personal feeling)

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    As an engine, I’m sure most would say they prefer the Ferrari V8. But the sound of the RS is amazing, much more mechanical. Chris Harris said it well, “the noise in the Porsche is of metal bits moving, in the Ferrari it is the exhaust. The Ferrari is a bit of a ‘shouter’”.

I have a Speciale and am keeping it. I sold my 991 RS. The RS sounds better.

Shadowfax and 458-Italia like this.
  4. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The normal 458 sounds better than the speciale.

5. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    That’s true !
    But everything is better by far in the Speciale !!!!!!

6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yes, speciale is better in everything except sound. Also the Aperta is as wobbly as the spider which really tells us Ferrari doesn't give a crap about spiders. They just make the coupe and then chop the roof of the spider, screw owners and lets even put a premium eheh. Great business ;)

dustman likes this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    *Subject to those times when the McLaren is not on a lift or a flatbed.

JohnTz, Ash Patel, tekaefixe and 3 others like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Which is 99% of the time.

Ash Patel likes this.
  9. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    What have you been smoking? o_O

The 0-60 times for the 720, the 812 and the La Ferrari are with two-tenths of a second of each other.

The top speed of these three cars are all in the two-teens and the slowest is only 1 MPH than the 720.

Those statistics hardly constitute the McLaren "smoking" a Ferrari. :rolleyes:

JohnTz and Viperjoe like this.
  10. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    488 is better in every way, I've had coupe and spider versions of each.

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Jim, I'm glad you owned and enjoyed both.Lucky guy!

I tend to think that we shouldn't confuse "modern" with better, nor "faster" with better. One does not always equate to the other, and they're certainly not synonims.

That said, I think it's not difficult to get a kick out of an older, slower sportscar than a current one. And how many of us actually owned a car, only to despise its replacement, albeit faster and more modern? Happens all the time: 911, M3, Mustang, you name it. I love the 488, it's a great Ferrari, period. But I wouldn't trade my 458 for a 488. Either I'd have both, or the 458. Goes to show "better" is a personal and very complex adjective. I think with the benefit of hinsight, the 458 will be a much more iconic Ferrari than the 488. A lot changed within the brand and the world from 2009 to 2015.

Kind regards and enjoy your 488 and/or 458!

Nuno.

12. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    Here's my take on it. Historically, everytime the competition tried to catch up, Ferrari would release something that put it far ahead of anyone else, in my opinion that was especially the case with the 430 and 458; not with the 488 though and for two reasons. First, the 488 is too much of an evolutionary upgrade from the 458; second, Lamborghini, McLaren and Porsche really stepped up their game this round with the Performante, 720s and GT2 RS. For the first time ever, I find myself going with something else that what Ferrari offers (Performante), and I'm not sure the Pista is going to change my mind.

However, to say that the 458 is better than the 488 is absolute non-sense. Yes it sounds better, but the 488 is better in every other aspect, and yes from personal experience I think it sounds great.

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    you can tattoo on your arm: 488 forever ! ;)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sorry to have to say this but your are coming across like a bit of a sore toe saying stuff like that. Maybe it's time to let go and accept the fact the 488 is an amazing accomplishment from Ferrari - (not discounting anything prior to that).

350MH83 and Viperjoe like this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Rather have a Scud.:)

16. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It is kinda ironic that they even liked the key on 458 better. Had a ton of exotic over course of years, I thought new Ferrari key fob is some of the best one among McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari. From technical stand point, every aspect from performance, aerodynamic, braking, handling, weight, and technology are better on 488. There is not even a debate there. Look wise they are so similar, one looks more substantial and mean while the other is more elegant.

In terms of 458 go down as one of greatest. Only time will tell, Speciale yes, regular 458 or 488, doubt it will with so many made and easily obtainable. While 458 might be last NA the 488 could also end up being last turbo mid engine Ferrari.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Living in the dark and lonely shadow.

18. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    who cares which car is better both have pros and cons... just enjoy what you have and not worry about which is better

Viperjoe and Baitschev like this.
  19. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    I Love Jenniver and Hate Heidi .

Clay512TR and Viperjoe like this.
  20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I think Ferrari will make a statement with the next 488! If they launch a 900hp electric supercharged hybrid with carbon tub with Ferrari's typical beautiful lines it will be a best seller and will put all competition is their toes.
    Ferrari needs this and the owners deserve it. Not being one of the fastest cars in a track/straight and no carbon tub doesn't cut in anymore. There is more and more competition (even thought Ferrari's sell like hot cakes) and hopefully this will be a question of pride not sales for Ferrari.

I hope....

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Oh jees c'mon what rubbish. Get real. It's all in the the way the car drives. These cars are already so fast now and how many of you can extract that. When 488's replacement comes out the winging will be so unbearable it will make todays 488 moaners seem tolerable. Yup I can hardly wait :rolleyes:.

22. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    458 spec over a 488 and also a 720s over 488 imo, driven them all
    488 is still a good car in every measure, just personal preference

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #48 Shadowfax, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Looking into my crystal ball I foresee the 488 replacement as being a better performer than 488 Pista yet more user friendly/accessible to exploit. Oh boy now there's a huge problem right there!
    Future complaints:
    It's not as visceral as 488/Pista.
    It doesn't have a carbon tub - and that sucks not being able to do your back in getting in and out of the thing.
    It doesn't sound any good - well not as good as everything else.
    It doesn't look as good as 458 or sound as good even though the majority says it does.....I mean what would they know anyway??
    Dammit it has a glove-box and who needs that!
    The outside door handles don't look any good.
    It has side vents....and they are in the wrong position again!
    I can hear myself above the road noise...and that is just completely unacceptable!!
    It has a great stereo and functional media interface and who wants that?
    And it goes too fast and goes around corners better - dammit!

24. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    At this point in my life, I can't imagine enjoying any car more than I do my 458 Spider. That said, I'm sure I would say the same if I owned a 488. They are both beautiful, powerful cars that only a few lucky souls will ever get the chance to drive.

QueueCumber, stavura, Shamile and 2 others like this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s not ALL in the way it drives. Foolish.

Different needs for different people.

Sound, looks, exclusivity, handling, ego....many factors.