Mondial currently travelling coast to coast | FerrariChat

Mondial currently travelling coast to coast

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mark C Harvey, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Hello All.

I just wanted to introduce myself and let people know what I have been doing. I bought a lovely original, well maintained, one owner ‘86 Coupe sight unseen last Thursday in Oakland, California.

I am currently making my way back to Connecticut, and have gotten as far as Illinois - tonight. 2400 miles and no issues, except the newish Kumho front tyres deformed in Navada.

The temperatures across much of California and Nevada were well over 100F, and State Highway 6 in Nevada is practically deserted, endless and very straight, if you know what I mean. :cool:.

I replaced the tires in Ely, NV.

This has been a lifelong dream. I had never driven a Ferrari until the test drive on Thursday. These are truly great machines. The noise...like a sport bike at high rpm, but much deeper. Makes the hair on your neck stand on end.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I’ll keep you posted.

- Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    What a great introduction Mark.
    Have a great trip and looking forward to the updates.

paulchua likes this.
  3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login When I bought my 88 3.2, my wife and I drove it home from central Florida to northeast Pennsylvania with zero issues. Finding a well maintained Mondial should provide a great driving experience whether it's cross country or across town. Enjoy!

AUDIO RESEARCH and paulchua like this.
  4. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Congratulations and wishing you a safe trip back home.
    You said you bought the car sight unseen. What did you do on the before you headed East, a PPI?
    Welcome to this forum and its members.
    Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Did the seller let you drive XC on his plates???!!! Ballsy!

6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Congrats Mark have a great trip!

7. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Good question. The PO was an older guy, kind of stubborn and very slow to communicate. I asked for him to help me with an independent PPI but I never heard back. Red flag I know, but I decided to go ahead anyway.

Major factors in deciding to proceed was the single owner factor, service records, and several conversations with the PO, who I trusted despite the slow and somewhat grumpy interaction.

Another factor- the fairly dry and warm climate in Oakland where it had always lived.

Despite all this I know I took a significant risk. Fortunately the car has turned out to be great (so far).

paulchua likes this.
  8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Buying any ferrari sight unseen let alone a 32 year old Mondial and then physically driving home across the country would make a vast majority on this board choke on their Merlot. But what a great adventure and awesome way to kick off your ownership...Kudos! I hope the rest of the trip goes well and the mondi gives you many years of pleasure, congrats!

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome Mark!!! What an amazing journey! Keep us posted of your travels! Safe journeys and God bless you.

One tip, is get a small pillow, you may find it helps in longer journies for the lower back.

Cherrs

10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Merlot? You're a fancy Mondial owner! Come shotgun a Genesee Cream Ale with me!

bergxu, Freerange72 and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You guys too high brow for me, I stick with boxed wine!

19633500GT likes this.
  12. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Wade’s car? The Black Saudi spec?

13. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Great intro btw!! Driving the car as it was meant to be driven (and as Enzo intended). And such a great introduction to your new baby!! I hope to do the same someday soon. As others have said please keep us posted. I’m sure I’m echoing others here too but we all LOVE pics!!

Temple

paulchua and davemqv like this.
  14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So cool! My friend and I were just discussing the possibility of an NYC>LA road trip the other day, but I admit that I'm a little nervous about it. You're shaming me into bravery!

Car looks great. I remember seeing the recent ad for it on Hemmings. I love that it still has the period correct 80's CA "Sunshine" plates.

Congrats on the car, welcome to the club, and best of luck with the rest of your trip!

Mark C Harvey and paulchua like this.
  15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1, yes more road trip and car pics please!

paulchua likes this.
  16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This one? https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146119058/

Either way, congratulations! Mondial Coupes are awesome indeed.

paulchua likes this.
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When you get a good vibe about a person, why not? I've done the same with two Ferraris and a Ducati. :)

I was one of its caretakers for awhile... and passed it on to Dennis, a true enthusiast.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Yes, when Dennis said he picked it up from Central Florida I thought “Wade’s (old) car?” Hence my question “black Saudi spec?” I know 3.2 coupes are pretty rare, not t coupe rare but not far behind. Central Fla was the giveaway. Also you used to post pics of her (black Saudi spec) quite often but hadn’t seen one from you in a while. At that point I just added 2+2.

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  19. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Thanks for all the encouragement! Now in Bloomington, Indiana. Car is going great. Pity about the weather. Photo from Glen Canyon, Utah a few days ago.

djs308, Roward7 and paulchua like this.
  20. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    paulchua likes this.
  21. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Most excellent adventure Ted...ah, Mark. Did this trip a couple of times in a Gordini and a Beetle but not a Ferrari, yet. Godspeed and good winds my friend. Press on regardless.

Mark C Harvey and paulchua like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful photo!!!

23. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    VERY cool! Congratulations on the car and the adventure. The car sat on Autotrader and Hemmings for quite a while this year. I reached out to the seller myself when it was first listed, but lost interest after a less than forthcoming interaction. It looks like a wonderful car! Again, congrats and enjoy the drive!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  24. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Or choke on their Chianti. The drive back to the East Coast will, in itself, serve as the PPI (Post purchase inspection)!

Temple likes this.
  25. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Thank you Dave. Regarding nerves, I had plenty, but they are settling now as the miles pass. I really enjoy the reactions from people along the road. We stopped at a derelict gas station in Hinkley, Utah, to get under the shade. Really small town on the edge of nowhere. A local old timer pulled up in a Jag and rolled his window down “so that’s a Ferrari huh?”. I ended up giving him a quick joy ride up and down the highway and he just loved it.

Dino2400, read33, paulchua and 4 others like this.