The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 198 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Good point, I'm relatively new to GoPros again.. I think the first one I had (1st or 2nd Gen maybe?) many years ago only had a suction cup for the window of my car, but I'm sure you're right and there were other mounting options that could have required drilling perhaps.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Exactly right, as far as I can remember, the GoPro on schumis helmet was bolted or riveted to the helmet, and it split on the line of the hole.

Jeronimo GTO and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That's what I read also. Throw in the impact on the side where the mount/stalk was bolted onto the helmet (biker helmet that has all those vents all around) and it just exacerbates the structural integrity of the helmet itself.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This just in: MS will be transferred to his new home in Mallorca.

5. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  7. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    For those of you who are not members of the Académie Française, my "wooden" translation of the article to Frenglish:

Nearly five years after the terrible ski accident in Méribel, Michael Schumacher is now heading for Spain. Now heavily disabled, the former German Formula 1 champion will stay in the posh Andratx resort, where his wife Corinna has just acquired a large property of 30 million euros, which previously belonged to billionaire Florentino Perez, the president of Real Madrid. This paradise, located in the south-west of the island of Mallorca, about twenty minutes drive from Palma, is a real "bunker" out of sight.

"I can officially confirm that Michael Schumacher will come to settle in our village and that everything here is ready to welcome him," reveals the mayor of the village (Andratx), Katia Rouarch.

The island police have also been informed of the upcoming arrival of the famous German patient. Nobody indicates for the moment precisely if his arrival on the Balearic island will be of short or long duration.

On January 3rd, Michael Schumacher will celebrate his 50th birthday. His wife, Corinna, we know, is ready to do anything, try everything for her husband champion, and still wants to believe in a miracle. Palma de Mallorca now embodies for her a new life and a new hope.

jgonzalesm6, daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wonder how they will shield his privacy during the transport and in Mallorca.

Remember the only breach so far was one of the helicopter operators who delivered him to his current home on Lake Geneva.

Jeronimo GTO and G. Pepper like this.
  9. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    My thoughts exactly.

miniken likes this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, not so fast: Headlines this morning are that it was all a miscommunication by the town's mayor and that MS is NOT being moved to Mallorca.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

mwr4440 likes this.
  11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My feeling is that the mayor of the city used this as an opportunity to welcome the family and shed some international light on the town.

Unless the family wants to move to Mallorca for good (which is hard to imagine given the climate of the island) this didn't make much sense. If money is no option, staying at Lake Geneva is the better option IMHO.

Jeronimo GTO and G. Pepper like this.
  13. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    At this point money may be starting to be an issue
    The euro goes farther in Spain than Switzerland

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Absolutely true. 24x7 care in Switzerland must be astronomical in cost. Spanish caregivers would certainly be a lot cheaper. Then again we heard some unreal numbers about his $ worth so he might be making enough in dividends alone to pay for the care. Dunno.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Shumacher must have had a insane insurence...so i'm not sure if it isn't the insurence who is paying for his care...

16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I get the impression he is like a government, he self insured. When you get that rich, some people chose to leave insurance to chance in the knowledge that their assets and annual growth/interest/dividends will cover any eventuality. I may be wrong, but if the moves are for economic reasons, and not for medical or lifestyle, then it’s possible they are trying to reduce the draw on their investments to make he and the family remain able to live off income, not eat into the assets/capital

Ferraripilot likes this.
  17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    And at time carriers won't even touch high profile individuals such as that anyway. Without going too off-topic, I heard that the Enzo and LaFerrari models are not insurable by any carrier in the US, meaning the owner/driver must be self-bonded, which is easily done in most any state starting at around $50k min or thereabouts.

ricksb likes this.
  18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad to see the thread active, he crossed my thoughts the other day....his survival this long to a state of stability really does defeat the odds of this type of injury.

I know she is doing her best to manage a difficult situation....I dream someday to see him stand and wave to a crowd.
    And even that may be just a d ream, a miracle as stated in the post above.

I have a picture of him shaking hands with Frolian over my door threshold, next to it is a shot of the fuel door of his F1 car in flames, as he sits calmly waiting for the paddle to flip, to rejoin the race. These must have triggered my thoughts.

Jeronimo GTO and absostone like this.
  19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Just like when you led the Ferrari drives In NC - hell I had brand new P Zeros on my 612 and I really rolled all the edges - great fun

of2worlds likes this.
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Todt visits Schumacher twice a month

OCTOBER 15, 2018

FIA president Jean Todt admits he visits his friend Michael Schumacher "twice a month".

Once the great German's boss at Ferrari, Frenchman Todt is now a close family friend and one of the only people now allowed inside the inner sanctum.

Schumacher's health condition following a skiing crash and brain injuries in 2013 is an almost complete mystery.

"I love Michael. I see his family," Todt told The Times. "I wish the situation would be different."

He says he is at Schumacher's home on the shores of Lake Geneva "a minimum of twice a month".

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One has to believe they are working on him, and he's stable.
    He has beat a lot of odds at this point....glad to read that.

Not much, but "something", IMO, he would not go unless some form of communication is possible.

22. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I think its great that Todt visits Michael. Every one else has forgotten.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Everybody has been turned away by the family, I understand.

Even Willy Weber, Schumacher's manager, and the man who discovered him, is not welcomed.

tatcat and tifosi12 like this.