DD FF advice | FerrariChat

DD FF advice

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Gum12345, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    So I have been looking awhile for a FF to serve as a DD for me / wife dropping kids off, grocery, some weekend drive as family etc (say 2-4k miles a year). All of a sudden, due to work, the car may need to be driven 12k a year all year round. Do you think this is crazy for the cost on depreciation based on mileage I am putting on plus wear and tear (not sure how much more expensive to maintain it doing 12k vs 3k miles a year)?

Very annoyed as I was getting myself ready to welcome a ferrari v12 and now may no longer make sense (wife just told me I should think about a pries instead!)

2. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I own an ff and unfortunately they crater in value (alomst) regardless of mileage. I bought ours new and my wide doesn’t want a lusso so I dogged a bullet. My 2 cents...get a well prices used one and drive the sh$t out of it. They can handle it and that’s what my wife is doing. It’s a fantastic machine.

Elasto and otakki like this.
  3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Having just bought a Lusso I will say I went into ownership knowing the car will plummet if I drive it a ton and plummet if I sit and look at it.....2 months 2500 miles.....12K a year is applauded.....

timjen88 and otakki like this.
  4. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    hahha....thanks...thats what I want to hear...it's going to lose a ton either way so may as well enjoy it..

carlito458 likes this.
  5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    For the value of a used one, few other cars come even close to give you as much smile per mile. In terms of that, a Prius is a bad value because it gives zero smile per mile.

Actualizer and Bundy like this.
  6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I know it's hard, but if you plan to buy a FF, I suggest to forget about the depreciation because it is worth it (unless you switch cars so often, then you will have to worry about depreciation for any car anyway)

Actualizer likes this.
  7. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    The plan now is get a FF and may or may not trade in when taycan comes out depending how I like it. But I like the fact that depreciation will suck either way so might as well drive it. This may be the only upside if I have to start driving 1 hr each way for work.

8. specialkcu

specialkcu Rookie

Jun 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Keith A
    Love it as a daily. Got mine for a great deal just below 30K miles. It isn't cheap by any means especially when you consider gas, but you will smile everyday you drive it.

9. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Drive it as much as you can, what it’s designed to do! Enjoy!

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    an FF has already experienced a ton of depreciation. if you spend 160k and it goes to 80k int that better than buying a new RR for 125k and watching it go to 10k?

350MH83, Caeruleus11 and timjen88 like this.
  11. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Well said. A Prius DD might destroy my ability to ever smile again.

My first family car was a Porsche 993TT with baby seats in the back. That was admittedly impractical after our kids reached a certain age / length.

The FF is the perfect DD, and I’ve tried almost every alternative. We’ve been 16,000 miles on our example in the past two years. Seriously considering a Lusso even though the economics favor our almost fully depreciated 2012 FF. Life is short. Carpe diem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otakki and Makuono like this.
  12. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Come to think of it, I could mix in the FF with my other cars for the commute. One day v12 front engine, another day v8 TT mid, then big suv on bad weather day may not be bad at all. I was dreading having to drive for work first time in my life (always been public transport person but no possible with new work situation)

AlamoPoke likes this.
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If you buy one for $140k with 10k miles or so, you are getting a virtually new car with a $200k discount. If you keep it 3 years and 36k miles, you should still be able to get $70-80k for it. So will you be ok with $70k drop over 3 years (+ running costs of course..)?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Not sure I want that as I got other depreciating cars already. My solution is rotate my 3 cars so I end up adding 4000 miles a year to ff. Not sure whether that actually helps residual that much. I will figure it out and make it work. I really like the car.

15. TurboDoc

TurboDoc Rookie

Apr 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    BKB
    That’s what I am doing; rotating my FF with SUV and McLaren on the weekends. I bought my 2015 FF used with 9k miles for 175 and am loving everything about daily driving it. I purchased 2 years of Ferrari new car warranty extension so I have some protection. Depreciation is big but considering a new well optioned Alpina B7 is 165 I’ll take the used FF which will be worth more than the B7 in 3 years so it’s all relative. Plus the FF is so much fun to drive compared to anything else out there.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

timjen88, vegasviper and amenasce like this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It will help, whether its with the residual or with wear and tear costs.

17. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    I have now owned a 2015 bought with 4,800 for exactly a year. Drove approx 5k miles of what you would call DD. Don't commute to work, mostly go to LAX (about 20 miles each way) for buz travel and then run errands around LA. I had really low expectations for the car in these conditions, particularly after 3 AMGs which were flawless, but, i must say the FF handles the most menial driving conditions with great aplomb and the noise just puts a smile on my face even after a long flight every single time. Reliable too. The only thing to consider IMO is consumption which i find almost comical. Depreciation has been beaten to death already and that is personal, if you are not bothered by the thirstiest drinker ever then it is a great DD car.

timjen88 and iloveferrari like this.
  18. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    Am now up to about 45k km over 3 years - handles it without any issues. Probably the best and most versatile car I ever owned

19. jtkeller

jtkeller Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Does anybody want to share their real world fuel economy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    Fuel economy is really bad unless you are doing about 100-130kph in 7th constant speed, no accelerating. Don’t have economy figures, gave up after the first 3 or so fill ups and the calculated consumption at euro 1.50 plus a liter made my eyes water a little ....

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    haha exactly - ignorance is bliss

i get about 220 miles to a tank i think

22. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Damn. You keep the rpm up even cruising on highway? The issue is that it seems silly driving on highway cruising but running at 6k rpm. I was hoping I can get 12 mpg driving highway (80 miles each day). Even that gets expensive doing it 240 days a year.

23. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    The car doesn't tell you probably by design lol. My previous DD was a G63 AMG which was also comical, my average MPG was 10mpg in Los Angeles, I think the FF is way worse

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The FF is by far the most Ferrari for the money already, due to depreciation. Buy one and drive it like you stole it.

timjen88, AshAP, otakki and 1 other person like this.
  25. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    For consumption, on average I am about at 15ltr/100km, which is 15MPG. The best I could achieve with long trips on highways at constant speed was 12.4ltrs/100km, which is 19MPG. But when I floor it I can easily get over 25ltr/100km, which is 9.4MPG.