280 mph rocket-powered Lincoln- doesn't end well | FerrariChat

280 mph rocket-powered Lincoln- doesn't end well

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by energy88, Jul 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I vaguely remember the car, but not the stunt. It may have been the publicity leading up to (or after) the event...they made a movie about it.

3. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’ve started watching the documentary that is in the article, The Devil at Your Heels. What a fiasco! In the first 10 minutes or so the narrator says Kenny dropped out of school at 14 having only completed grade 4.

The preparation for the jump is laughable. 2 weeks prior to the first scheduled attempt he had never driven a rocket car and he shows up with no helmet or fire suit.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Nothing there to protect... :)

Ducman491 likes this.
  5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Quote:
    "Powers was lucky, for he had broken his back. This was nothing new, he had suffered this injury 7 times before."

That about sums it up. Did this guy eventually win the Darwin award he clearly craved???

Ducman491 likes this.
  6. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    In the ultimate plot twist 5 years after he originally scheduled the jump and cancelling 3 or 4 times the investors called Kenny Carter to their hotel in Ottawa and another stunt driver Kenny Powers jumped into the car and tried it. The washboard ramp beat the car up so badly the fiberglass body came apart as soon as it left the ramp. Also the bumpy ramp didn’t let Powers accellerate enough only getting to 170 instead of 280. If I didn’t know better I would have said they made the whole “mockumentary” up.