Buying an F430 from a Ferrari Dealer - couple of questions | FerrariChat

Buying an F430 from a Ferrari Dealer - couple of questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sox Fan, Aug 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sox Fan

Sox Fan Rookie

Jul 7, 2013
    Michigan
    Morning

Curious to get some thoughts here on buying an F430 from a local Ferrari dealer instead of from an out of state private party or exotic car dealer.

1. How much of a premium would you pay if any? I have a Ferrari dealer 15 minutes away so love the idea of avoiding the hassles and possible risks associated with an out of state purchase.

2. Would you still get a PPI?

Dave

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Premium: compare prices of similar cars with similar options on line to know whether you would be paying too much. Some dealers offer a one year warranty, so that might ease the pain of paying a little more.

PPI: it’s my understanding that Ferrari dealers can only sell used Ferrari’s that they inspect and meet minimum Ferrari standards -whatever they are. Would I personally do a ppi? No. Not from a dealer.

I’m sure some other f-chatters have input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I prefer to buy from a oem dealer, ability for recourse a lot better than private sale.
    For an equal comparison I would expect to pay 10% more from the dealer. I just bought a 430 spider for $130, private sale I'm thinking could have had it for a little under $120.
    Having at least a minor relationship with a dealer is beneficial imo.
    Buying from a dealer, I would not do a ppi as long as they are including at least a one year warranty.
    If you buy privately , regardless that you have a dealer do a ppi you are still obligated to a service and comp test at a dealer prior to them offering a power warranty.

My 2 cents...

Sox Fan likes this.
  4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I love having a relationship with my local Ferrari dealer, especially the guys in the shop. The other day I swung by to ask a question about a couple of issues and they fixed 3 things, on the spot, handshake and I was on my way. These little things are important to me and worth paying a few extra $$.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You will pay a premium.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Exactly. You don’t get to establish the premium, they do.
    There’s enough bad stories out there that I can’t say I value dealer cars more than private sale. All depends on the car,
    As for legal recourse, it’s an illusion. They’ve got their asses covered.

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I bought a 'certified' amg from my local merc dealer, and it had just as many issues as a car bought from an individual.
    The multi-point check was BS.

Get a PPI even if it is from a ferr dealer (IMHO).
    The only way to properly sort out an older car.... is to put some miles on it and work out the bugs..... to think you can hook a computer to it, and clean it up, and call it good.... and charge a premium is not correct. It will be clean, it will be running fine at that moment..... but it will need attn if it sat for a while whether at a dealer or at and ind home.

I've been working out small bugs on my 01 360 over the past few weeks..... none-of-which showed up at PPI from a rep shop.

So get the best deal, and keep some dry powder...... unless you just like the pomp-circumstance of the f dealer....:)

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Ask for a cpo warranty. They will probably just add it to the price but at least you have a year to see if anything goes wrong. Some dealers will even let you extend it but it's probably 3-5k a year.

9. Sox Fan

Sox Fan Rookie

Jul 7, 2013
    Michigan
    Right. The car I looked at actually already comes with a one year CPO warranty from the dealer.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have bought over a dozen cars from my local Ferrari dealer and would not buy a Ferrari anywhere else. I have known some of the people there for over 20 years and I trust them. After 458 car purchases I've had both good and bad experiences (if you are free for 12 hours sometime I'd be glad to tell you about them), PPI's as some call them can miss a lot, and I personally never have had one done, other than cars I've looked at myself. It is true that you can find issue's once you take the car out on the road (it happened with the last 360 I owned), and my dealer fixed them at no charge. I don't think most PPI's include (I might be wrong about this) taking the car out of the road and driving it like I would. I am going to assume it is the black 05 car, if so I personally think that car has a rather high asking price. Good luck.

Sox Fan likes this.
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Your situation w a 20 yr relationship is ideal. For someone w out that benefit, due diligence is required dealer or not.

12. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I bought my '06 F430 spider from a local, well-respected Ferrari dealer back in April. I thought I got a fair price, albeit slightly on the higher end. Right after delivery, I found a dozen minor issues with the car. The dealer fixed them all for free. They even put a new clear bra over the front end at no charge. So I guess I'm all for purchasing at the dealership. I think it's worth it at the end not to mention the peace of mind.

bball16 likes this.
  13. ring007

ring007 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    I bought a Rosso Corsa 430 coupe with carbon race seats (exactly what I had been looking for and difficult to find) to build into a track car from local dealer this spring and they were the most aggressively priced at the time so depending on the deal, you may not pay any premium when buying from a local dealer. Just depends on the particular deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dealer or private i would get a ppi

one4torque likes this.
  15. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    There used to be a sticky that had a checklist for new buyers of 360/430.

Either I can't find it in the new format or it no longer exists.

Possibly someone can help.

Good luck with your purchase.

16. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dealerships need to move pre-owned cars to keep getting new allocations, so negotiate, both $$ and details like paint correction, de-sticky, PPF, etc

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Walk with Vaseline. It'll help ease the pain.
    > …. my experience with at my local F Dealer. They were very arrogant, like what was I thinking by driving to them in a Porsche and expecting to get a deal.
    It was my mistake though, I forgot to genuflect.

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Pretty sure there is no standard for non-certified used Ferrari's (the majority of the cars on a Ferrari Dealers lot typically). Its a used car from a car sales outfit...so...yeah. Just because it costs more and has a nice name doesn't mean its not still a used car from a car dealer! Theoretically a Ferrari dealer should auction off cars that they don't want to sell themselves and that could - in some cases - mean they keep the better cars, but its not a given and certainly not a rule or standard. As always, caveat emptor.

one4torque likes this.
  19. cozmo920

cozmo920 Karting

Nov 3, 2012
    Zero Premium, always get a ppi regardless, even if CPO.

one4torque likes this.
  20. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I bought my first F car, 06 F430 spider, from well known dealer. I did heavy research on this site of known issues on those cars and quizzed dealership on these issues with this car. They provided me with their full service records on car showing all these known issues being addressed, including 12k of work at their place before sale. So, a little work on my end, and getting answers from them with records, made me comfortable not to do a PPI. Dealership had a good rep for selling well sorted F cars as well. I would prefer to stick with a dealer, but doing your homework, good service records, and a well known PPI provider - I would buy private as well.