Daniel Ricciardo has signed with Renault for 2019 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daniel Ricciardo has signed with Renault for 2019

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, Aug 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Would be interesting to know what happened

-RB wouldn't pay him as much as Max?
    -He doesn't have confidence in Honda?
    -He wants to pull a LH at Renault?
    -?

He'll regret this imo.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe he feels the Honda unit won't deliver with RedBull hence the move to Renault....lateral move maybe. So no Ferrari and no Mercedes.

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    All of the above.

BMWairhead likes this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't believe this to be possible (but it is Formula One, and who would have thought in 2013 that Kimi would be back for 2014...).
    If Ricci is too expensive at $ 20 milllion, Alonso is half more expensive again, and 10 years older than "smilin' Dan". Not much sense, especially considering that Ferrari is not even lukewarm about the idea.

Rgds

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, 375+ and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Marko or Mateschitz?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    NEP and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not to sound like a broken record, but the RBR belief is that the car is 90% of the equation. They invest their money in the car and spend less for driving talent.

william likes this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As the story goes, Daniel met Mateschitz in person after the Hungarian Grand Prix, to hear it from him about his position in the team, etc...so he has seen the boss before deciding.

Rgds

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Wow good luck Daniel, this is most interesting and promises an intense silly season and a very entertaining 2019. Bring it on:)!

Jeronimo GTO, 375+ and DF1 like this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Good for him

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Given Red Bull's treatment of Ricci, the rush to sign Max etc, Im not surprised that Daniel is leaving. Renault probably offered a better 'base' salary and some other options, plus the uncertainty of Honda PU future performance. Im thinking it was simply time to leave. He has done all he could at Red Bull. As you state Marko is at times bitter and ridiculous. Im sensing Ricci was tired of that construct in the team.

Bundy, moretti, daytona355 and 4 others like this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ricci might still have the last laugh over Max

14. DF1

Maybe this was a 'sore' point lol - Via the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45056366

--Team-mate Max Verstappen was given a lucrative new contract last autumn.

It made the 20-year-old Dutchman the third best-paid driver in F1 behind Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari, earning more than the $25m salary McLaren pay to two-time world champion Fernando Alonso.

Ricciardo has finished ahead of Verstappen in both their seasons as team-mates.--

Phil~, Bundy, WilyB and 1 other person like this.
  15. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I think Verstappen is Talented and quick, but he needs to grow up. Giving him a salary like this makes him think he's worth more than he is.

Ricciardo might be making the right move. Maybe Renault are prime to start competing in the next year or two. Maybe they know something we don't and so does Dan. Either way, i'll follow Dan to Renault. He's quick and fun to watch.

I would've personally liked to see him at Ferrari or Mercedes fighting for the front. We see what he can do in a slower Red Bull.

11506apollo, Bundy and DF1 like this.
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Certainly, it makes things more complicated for Red Bull: they had a very strong pair of drivers, and Daniel's equation or blend of speed, dedication, ability to bring back the points, will be missed.
    I perfectly understand that he might have decided that it was time for a new challenge (and even more if his salary demands were not met) but it will be difficult to replace him, "like for like", no doubt.
    Gasly is not up to Daniel Ricciardo; neither is Sainz Jr, not yet. And Red Bull will have to raise its game, up to the challenge of a new engine.

Rgds

Bundy, DF1, william and 1 other person like this.
  17. DF1

Well said and my thoughts exactly the same. I will be keen to see him do well there. Possibly my favorite driver/personality in F1.

Bundy, BMWairhead, stavura and 4 others like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 just about everybody likes Dan.

moretti, stavura, william and 2 others like this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It would be difficult not to like him, isn't it? A nice bloke, modest and never arrogant,; and he is the real deal: bloody fast, great late-braker and overtaker, sure pair of hands, no risks to the other drivers, and brings the points at home in the end. And almost always smiling. Makes you think that the whole thing is damn easy, and that there is nothing to it. A breath of fresh air, really. I wish there were more like him.
    Rgds

jmillard308, Bundy, moretti and 9 others like this.
  20. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’ll be interesting to see if they consistently place higher next season with Ric... an indicator to the car vs. driver debate. My hunch is they’ll be right where they are now. I’m wondering how he’ll handle from winning a race here or there... getting some additional podiums to being another potentially forgotten driver in the midfield.

375+ likes this.
  21. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    W

T

F

Phil~, G. Pepper and DF1 like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am liking this driver combination at Renault--admittedly I am a big fan of both drivers. I think that they will push each other and I am interested in seeing how Hulkenberg stacks-up against Ricciardo. I hope that Renault will deliver a car that can compete for podium finishes. Let's be honest, with RBR moving to Honda power their place in the F1 hierarchy is anything but assured.

DF1, william and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This will be good for Ric. He will not play second to Max and that’s exactly what RB would continue to force upon him. Good for Ric.

WPOZZZ, Bundy, moretti and 2 others like this.
  24. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Exactly.

Let's also remember the reactions of most of us around here when LH moved to Merc... ;)

Nembo1777, william and 375+ like this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Surprised, mate?

Rgds

375+ likes this.