Spark plug tube removal | FerrariChat

Spark plug tube removal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Does anyone have experince with removing the spark plug tubes. Is there compatability with some other vehicle special tool that might be available.
    I'm inspired to refinish these to the original yellow chromate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Not too bad of a job at all. Looks great when you freshly plate, and re-install. I made a tool that wraps around the tube, and hooks to a small slide hammer. A few moderate-light taps and they come out. I made it from scratch, and it took some time, but I'd suggest starting with a 2-screw aluminum axle collar, and then whittle away to get the necessary clearance.

3. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Thanks- that, in fact, was my idea with perhaps a central mandril to protect against any distortion.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Sent you a PM.

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Still fumbling with new website ---- Where are PM's??

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    They're pretty strong. The axle collar uniformly clamps the tube, and to crush it would take some heavy duty tooling. Also, none of them were that tight. I would not suggest grabbing w vise-grip etc in one spot, as local damage distortion seems likely. Need to do a fair amount of relieving to clear all of the casting features which get in the way. This is where the time goes. Once you've got the tool figured out, again, not too bad i.m.h.o. To re-install, I recall using a dab of loctite, and tapped in with plastic mallet. With tubes plated like new, assembly was no problem.

7. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    top right on my screen. To the right of the NEWS button.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I sent it to Ludwig. Letting him know I would happily lend him the collar I have, which is machined to fit around the buldge at tubes top. It worked perfectly and was inspired by Paul Newman.

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Is it in "Conversations"? If so. not seeing it ? Oh well.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I sent the PM to Ludwig, not you. Did not mean to confuse you.

But it would be in conversations. I'm not fond of the new, newer revised fchat either.

Have a nice weekend.