When you have to drive an automatic... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

When you have to drive an automatic...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Mar 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you feel like this guy? Does an automatic tranny gross you out?

1. Oh yes I do very much. I gotta have the stick.

40.6%
  2. Almost. Paddle-shifter is acceptable. But not full automatic!

59.4%
  1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. I'm too old, I don't have a selfie stick! Nor, the coordination to drive a Ferrari and operate an iPhone at the same time.
    T

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    The other thing I find quirky with my Mercedes is the foot operated 'emergency' brake, normally called a handbrake. Again like the column shifter it's probably an American thing? First time I came across one was in 1988 and my first visit to the USA, Florida. It was a Ford Taurus rental. That took some getting used to.

The F355 and Mondial had the 'Fly-Off' handbrake (next to the door). I never had any issue driving them but when I got back into my regular car I kept going for the door handle :p

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My Toyota Highlander has the foot parking brake. But with LHD it seems to make more sense. :)

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Agreed, I can't think much is achieved having the foot brake next to the transmission tunnel. On my Mercedes there appears to be more than enough room for a regular handbrake.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I much prefer the handbrake myself.

MalcQV likes this.
  6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    ....and so far a mechanical one. Have driven a car with an electric one but I'm still not sure about them.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ah yes, the foot hand brake! Our Honda truck has it too. Not sure about wife's Benz. It's pretty flat where we are, and so we use it very, very infrequently.
    T

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is my automotive pet peeve. The most idiotic invention ever. Why someone had to replace a simple - to use and confirm - device with a confounded electronic gizmo is beyond me.
    T

davidoloan and MalcQV like this.
  9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I guess it aids hill starts :D

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah the fist time I rented a California they forgot to tell me how to work the electric parking brake. I had to learn myself after I got home. Then I got to wondering how bad it could be if that failed or failed to engage. Fun times....

11. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I guess today's kids wonder why that button is called a handbrake.

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    For a while I drove one car that engaged the parking brake automatically in park, got so used to it that I would forget to engage it in the other car which had a tiny barely noticeable button, until one day I reversed parked it 40° downhill facing a river. It was still there when I came back thankfully.

MalcQV likes this.
  13. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Totally agree, though some are integrated absolutely perfectly into luxury cars so you never touch the button, and engage and disengage just when you want them too. Others are pretty terrible. There is a whole generation who have never done a good handbrake turn, and I feel for them.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I hired a new VW Golf in Italy last year and it was not a particularly well specced Golf. This did exactly that. All you had to do was release the clutch and it did the rest.

15. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
  16. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Love that color and the wheels. Just recently started to get the hots for a Charger Hellcat. House in NY is on the mkt and the plan is to buy something in Sarasota. Anyway starting to think about daily driver for me once we have moved. Fla is so wide open I think you kind of need something that is great on the open roads and the Charger seems to be perfect for that. How is she as a long distance cruiser? Have seen some quote 24mpg on the highway. Beautiful car...

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Converting a 360 to manual right now for this very reason! :)

In fact, I literally just added the clutch pedal to the assembly. Such a glorious sight.

Mikael-F360, INTMD8 and 19633500GT like this.
  18. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So I have been a manual kind of guy for many many years. A few years ago I was looking at a 370z and this car was going to be for the wife. I wanted a manual so bad, sports cars should have them after all but caved in as it was going to be her daily. Anyway long story short I fell in love with the auto in it. The paddles worked great, it had rev matching and yes if you were in manual paddle shifting you could redline it and it wouldn't shift for you till you made it. After 2010 they changed this. I could stomp on the gas and light up the rear tires, it was a blast! Anyway it sold me on autos, then I had a DCT in a Porsche that I really liked as well. That car even with paddles shifted far better than I could using paddles so it stayed in auto. I am back to a manual and I love it but I also know that if for any reason my wife had to drive it she couldn't. Autos aren't as bad as they once were and no you don' lose your man card if you drive one.

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I gotta have the stick....but not in rush hour

Mikael-F360 likes this.