2007 versus 2008 Ferrari F430 | FerrariChat

2007 versus 2008 Ferrari F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerrariGirl22, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariGirl22

FerrariGirl22 Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    #1 FerrariGirl22, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2018
    Hi all. I'm new to FerrariChat and was hoping that you guys can help me answer some questions that I had. I'm in the market for a Ferrari F430 (would be my first supercar!) but was debating whether or not I should get a 2007 model or 2008 model. From what I've read, the 2008 model comes standard with carbon ceramic brakes, which can be pretty expensive to maintain so may not be worth it. Are there any other major differences between the 2007 or 2008 that I should consider (exterior, interior, engine, etc)? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not that i remember - honestly nothing wrong with an 06 if you dont want carbon brakes. Carbon brakes last to 100k miles so i wldnt avoid them like the plague unless you are going track the car like crazy. plenty of nice examples to choose from. good luck

XLNLIFE and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  3. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    crinoid and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the software you can update on any year for f1

the MKII manifolds is 50/50 - i had an 08 that needed manifolds done

crinoid and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Do a search. There was a pretty extensive list of model year changes for the 430 in a thread just a few months ago.

If the car wasn’t tracked, the CCB’s should last the life of the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FerrariGirl22 likes this.
  6. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    The important thing is to dump the crappy OEM headers even if it is an 08' model.
    Don't let the CCB deter you - those things will last forever (100k+) if you just drive the car for fun and spirited drives. If you are going to track it, most definitely they will wear a lot quicker, but again, don't let this be a deterrent.

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Was in your shoes about 3 years ago, ended up buying a 2005 that had everything I wanted. It’s an early car with the early F1 pump and it’s been perfect. I would not rule out any year F430, as the changes thru the model years are minimal. I have CCB and I love them, look great, minimal brake dust. I would not buy a sports car without them. The pads are a little pricey to replace, but the rotors will last the life of the car if it’s not tracked. Maintenance record are the most important thing, make sure the car has had all of it’s annual services. The exhaust manifolds are the biggest issue with these cars, replaced mine with headers after purchase. Good luck in your search...

8. FerrariGirl22

FerrariGirl22 Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Thank you guys for the responses! They're very helpful!

How often have you had to replace the brake pads for the carbon ceramic brakes? And since the brakes last pretty much for the lifetime of the vehicle, I probably wouldn't be expecting to pay the ~$25-30K to replace the whole set up at any point right?

Are there any differences to the exterior of the car? I read in one thread that there was a back grill or something in the 2008-2008 models? Not sure if this is consistent, though.

Thanks again!!!

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    If you want faster shift times ....get the 08' it not just a software upgrade as one here was referring to...it's also a hardware upgrade as well. 160ms shift to 120ms shift.....I believe is the difference.
    Also, the CCB are standard and are great. I ended up upgrading my brakes to CCB.

FerrariGirl22 and f355spider like this.
  10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #10 f355spider, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Not true on the software. It cannot be upgraded on the earlier cars. It was combined with a hardware change and is not compatible with earlier cars. I'm not certain if the shifts are faster, but people I trust claim the shifting is "better" or "crisper". I private messaged someone that had both an 06 couple and 09 spider simultaneously and said he preferred the shifting on the 09. I also spoke to a couple Ferrari dealer techs and they also said they preferred the shifting on the later cars.

There is a thread somewhere on this board with a detailed list of changes by chassis number. The changes on the 08/09 cars is extensive...but most significant is the brakes and transmission. The other (which seemed to relate more to updates or reliability) may or may not matter to buyers.

FerrariGirl22 and Flea7 like this.
  11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The “Challenge” grill was optional in the later model years. Can be retrofitted to any 430, but pricey to do.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You should never have to replace the rotors short of crash damage or outright neglect. The pads do wear eventually and if you shop from Eurospares a full set, front and rear are around $1450 with Fed Ex two day delivery. Figure $500 for installation. Or easy DIY.

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Mayor has spoken to this as well. Maybe he can chime in. I don’t recall what year his was however he’s driven both. IIRC the 08 standard F430 has the same hardware and software changes that the 430 Scuderia has in regards to electronics and shifting.

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i wouldnt shy away from a high spec late model 07 with ccb and challenge grille, which is very similar to an 08 for less. Of course 08 is preferred but a comparable 07 is a good buy

f355spider and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  15. FerrariGirl22

FerrariGirl22 Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    You guys are awesome! Makes me lean towards the 2008 model now if I can find one with all the right color combos. Keep the responses coming if you have more thoughts!

Equalizer likes this.
  16. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel

There is no rule of thumb as far as the frequency or timeline, it just depends how hard do you are on the pads. I am on 34,000 miles and mine look like they have 80-90% still left and I DRIVE it, if you know what I mean. I know the previous owners and they are also both drivers so I seriously think it is something that doesn't have to be replaced very often.

Rotors can warp or be damaged, but most of the time it is due to someone chipping them not being careful taking tires off or putting them back on. In the event you do have to replace them for any unforeseen circumstance, you can buy them directly from Brembo, using the Brembo part, and they are not as expensive - about 50% less if you go that route. Pads are only going to run you about $ 1,000 to $ 1,500 depending where you get them or if they are on sale or not.

The black grill is the "challenge" grill and it is a VERY nice option. When I bought mine, I only considered cars with it - it looks so much better with it. Mine is a 2007 and it was offered then.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can someone point to the "extensive" changes? ive driven and 06 and 09 and noticed no difference...

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    when i bought my 05 and drove 06/08 didnt feel any diffrence go for any year and get the one with the options and color combo you are looking for and service records and manifold replacements.good luck with your search

19. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No one has mentioned that any 07 between Sept and Dec. have 08 upgrades. My 07 is a Nov build and has no door key lock on passenger door andhas plastic around trunk on inside. I ordered mine with the rear screen and a 6 speed. Ferrari makes changes in August at the factory but model year of car is based on year made

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

TAILWAG and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  20. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    Here is the list of build changes. My apologies to the creator because I don't remember from whom I downloaded it.

Went through the same thought process until I found my 2007 Spider this year. Didn't really have a need or desire for CCBs or a lot of the carbon fiber fru-fru trim panels, but I found a solid car that just happened to have all of that stuff so I bought it anyway.

As a point of reference, my car had MSRP of about $267K and I bought for $125K.

Attached Files:

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nothing there that indicates faster shifting for USA cars in 2008

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This would be incorrect

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Flea7 and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So from that spreadsheet it seems if anything you want to go for a 2006 and no real difference between a USA 2007 vs 2008. As I expected.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

24. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have an 06, and it seems just as any other ferrari. As others have said, when you need to look at is the history. 05-09 all have the same suspension, so new ball joints, bushings, ect eventually go out. I have about 34k miles on mine, and drives great now.

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What’s not correct and what is correct. Perhaps you can expound. The shift software in the F430’s we’re not updated in 2008 that first year of the 430 Scuderia?