Cleaning up my diff install | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cleaning up my diff install

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Nov 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx guys ... I must have been lucky: never had such an OUCH or chatter .... :D !

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this "chatter" you only have when the diff is new. it takes a while until the oil and the LSD additive gets to the clutch-plates ( of course in the diff ! ! ! )

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    horrible accident :( :( :(
    but good that both are dead, better than the rest of the live in a wheel chair or to rely 100% on foreign aid
    they may RIP

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    2 bottles of the GM additive and the chatter is gone at high speed but remains at low speed. 1 more bottle maybe.

6. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    Hi - what a treasure trove of information on your trials with your gearbox and from those with similar experiences.
    My Testarossa diff has let go at 21k (I’ve added to the stats thread) and so embarking on the start of my own journey. All the posts re this have been avidly read and it’s great such help and expertise is available to those interested in delving deeper into their cars themselves.
    I am thinking of the Forza diff as I am also U.K. based and Phil has been really helpful on this and also with sourcing a new my Crown wheel and pinion as mine took a hit (nothing broke but there’s a few dings in the teeth of the crown). Can’t believe F want £10k for a set!
    Having got to the end of this thread though, I can’t find the end of the diff chatter story. Where is this at now, anybody else had this with the Forza or Modena unit? Seems fix is additives (have a drum of Agip at home I bought a while ago) - thoughts on the oil debate? Sorry to here about the shipping damage - gutting! Hope you (all) can help a newbie!

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #32 turbo-joe, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    as I mentioned before next time I will try a diff from phil
    until now I changed 3 diffs with modena and all is ok
    the CP I let made in germany and 1 set was about 8.000 €. the original F CP ( made by ZF ) is not strong enough for my koenig competion and just now I still have 1 CP set for sale for those 8.000,- € plus VAT( german MwSt ), still 5.000 less than F
    at that time I needed a new CP there was nothing available from F. so now they have again? I wonder !

8. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    Thanks Romano. I was thinking Ferrari had them still because of the crazy price that no-one would buy!
    So you are running the Modena diff in your Koenig? What torque is she putting out there?
    I have a few options on the CWP (further thanks to Phil at Forza) which are varying degrees cheaper than yours. I am thinking with that application, you have probably a very top end product and have paid the extra to take a more stressed application than my standard Testarossa will throw at this so not sure I can fully justify. That being said, getting any degree of confidence on warranty for bespoke parts (even if just to cover does it fit in the first place!) is proving tricky to tie down so good to know yours at least should pass this test. I’ll keep this kind offer in mind and PM you if this works for me once I have a full package of needed bits in my mind and can sort out the financial implications of it all.
    Paul

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t know the torque, sorry. koenig told me once 1000 hp and 1000 Nm. but those hp I think only with 1,4 or 1.5 bar boost and I doubt those 1000 Nm

10. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    My gearbox now all in bits, cleaned and inspected, 2nd gear trashed, now sourced new but gearbox numbers clearly meaningless in the Ferrari parts catalogue world! Good news - the crown wheel and pinion have both been crack tested and passed - just a few minor blemishes away from wear faces. Anyway, next want to check synchromesh ring wear, my Ferrari original TR90 workshop.manual cites need to measure an “x” and “y” value when ring is engaged (there’s a synchro cut through figure showing where these measured from) but it doesn’t say what these should be! I couldn’t see these measurement values in the original post string although referred to so any info which might also help others in similar situation much appreciated.
    Paul

11. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Paul, Can you post a pic of the page that mentions the X & Y, perhaps this will help us find it for you/all.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #37 turbo-joe, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    fig. 13 on page E16 ( WSM 330-84) says 0,625 and 0,775, but I think it is the same at a TR 90, but not sure
    but I just rebuilt also a gearbox and meassured on all X more than 1 mm.
    for Y can not find any size

here is the page

Attached Files:

13. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Paul, I see you are in London, I am in Fleet Hants, if you ever need moral support or wish to meet up.

14. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    Thanks both
    Romano - the measurements I am after are in the attached image from page E20. Those measures are for the shift forks. Did you measure the synchros when rebuilding? Scott replied to a PM, he didn’t measure but took the view shifted ok before and no obvious wear on visual so good to go back. which may not be wrong. My Testarossa WSM same number as yours and covers TR90 also but these curiously missing. My local Ferrari official dealer not got back to me yet with any numbers, but the gearbox guy there thought very unlikely they would need replacing as per Scott’s view. Some marking on the cones but cleaned up with 1500 wet and dry lubed with GT85, I’ll blue them but they grip easily and tightly. However, any ideas of what these measurements should be most welcome!
    Simon - car is kept down south. But when done...
    All the best
    Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry Paul
    missunderstanding. I also don´t know this size but on all my gears I just checked on thursday again I have more than 1,2 mm ( X ) and I think that this will be ok. had a look also how much the synchroring could go on the cone at the gear and there is more space before the limit is reached. the size Y I have not checked but if you like I could do this tomorrow.

16. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    Cheers Romano. Good to know what you get for the “y” as well; I’ll post if dealer comes back.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    again sorry pail
    had no time until now to check
    but I hope this week I get some free time to meassure

18. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    #43 Paul Colville-Nash, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Hi All,
    Thanks Romano for your measurements and for everyone’s support. Just got a reply from Maranello Classic in Egham who supplied my replacement parts. They have provided the following from another manual covering the same synchro rings so minimum measurements are 0.4mm/0.5mm. Good news Romano, as you said, you’ve got loads of wear left. Now to measure mine, fingers crossed..!
    Paul

Attached Files:

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you also Paul for this info.
    you know perhaps or may get knowledge from what WSM this info is?
    hope yours are as good as mine? :)

20. Paul Colville-Nash

May 18, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul Colville-Nash
    Hi everyone, Maranello got this from the 365BB WSM. The synchro rings are same/supersede to the same part numbers. All the best, Paul

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  22. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I am looking at exactly the same issue and wondering if I should replace 2nd gear syncro- It was always difficult to up shift cleanly to 2nd when cold but this did resolve once the engine was at full temp. This could take 15 min or so. I suspect this may really be "normal" behavior and I may not be the only one who initially would shift from 1st- 3rd initially.
    Here are my measurements of "X" and "Y"
    R x-1.3 y-.73
    1 x-1.6 y-.63
    2 x-1.0 y-.70
    3 x-1.3 y-.70
    4 x-1.2 y-.73
    5 x-1.1 y-.60

So is X truly specked as >.4?
    Should I replace 2nd gear syncro or is it a waste of time and $?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    limit for X is 0,4 mm and for Y is 0,5 mm
    all meassurements are within this limit. so no need to change some or replace.

what you understand under: specked? can not find in the translator :(
    the limit of wear are those 0,4 mm, and you still have 150 % more

before I did my own gearbox I had the same problem like most others: upshifting into 2nd in cold condition was hard, when warm no problem.
    after I rebuilt my gearbox and adjusted the forks so, that they are not laying on the sleeves I have never problems with upshifting in 2nd in cold condition..
    mostly those forks will get adjusted laying on the sleeves ( even there is only a very little play up and down ), but when I adjust and thighten the srew with the 3.2 kpm ( mostly I take 3.5 to 3,8 kpm ) I always lift those forks up before fasten the screw right.

24. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Thanks, ill look at that adjusment.

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name: