Elise buyer’s guide? | FerrariChat

Elise buyer’s guide?

Discussion in 'British' started by rdefabri, Jul 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Anyone aware of an Elise buyer’s guide? Or is it possible to pin one here?

Saw a nice one this weekend, would like to learn more about them.

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Lots around, suggest you visit the Lotus Forum(s) and try pistonheads for latest owners views and known issues etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks! I did check one of the Lotus Forums, and there was something small - but I'll keep checking.

4. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Clamshell
    Synchros...

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Have you tried asking Flash - he is into Elises, isn't he?

Flash G likes this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    elisetalk.com

They got better or tighter with each year. Like all used cars mileage and care are big factors.
    Suspension, is it track pack or standard, motor supercharged or NA.
    What mods if any.
    2005 was the only eyar not drive by wire, 2011 75 odd cars with the updated styling.
    Otherwise theyre all pretty much the same.
    the biggest mechanical malady is wiped out cam lobes on some, but its essentialya toyota celica Gts motor and transmision..

There are two good places to get aftermarket upgrades if thats of interest, and depding on what youre lookign for.
    If you can find an adult owned low mileage one, thats a great place/platform to start.

7. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Weak spots I would check:

*Radiator (has it been replaced?)
    *Wiped cam lobes (as noted above)
    *The later drive-by-wire actuators were prone to fail
    *Were the oil cooler hose clamps replaced under warranty? These fail, spewing oil everywhere (including on the tires).

Also: get a read-out of the ECU. It has a lot of information about how the car was driven/treated.

This is a good guide: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/lotus-elise-buyer-s-guide-video-237633/

rdefabri likes this.
  8. TroyNVie

TroyNVie Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I owned a 2005 (first model year offered in the US) for several years and it was, overall, a great car that seems to be, if anything appreciating these days (no longer offered, very few true competition in that price bracket - I suppose until the Alfa Romeo 4cs depreciate further - and many have been totaled often due to the scarcity and cost of the clam shell, which only somewhat recently became more readily available on the "aftermarket"). The oil cooler hose clamps is, as far as I know, a factory recall, so if it hasn't been done and you have a dealer near you (or the seller), you should be able to have them done at little to no cost to you. There are aftermarket radiators the are stronger and longer lasting than the factory ones that I hear aren't too difficult to replace, it's primarily a matter of safely removing the front clam shell.

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Your son's car has my wheels spinning!! :)

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    For me, it's a matter of getting something more modern that I can enjoy more. I have an E-Type and a Ferrari 308 - both great cars and I'm lucky to own them. However, with increasing work and personal responsibilities, and hot NJ summer, I have a very limited window to use them.

Would still be a weekend warrior, but get far more use. I work from home, and my oldest daughter is driving now, so an Elise (or comparable) is a cost-effective enthusiast car that I could get more use from.

I'm an eternal tire kicker - I talk more than I do when it comes to cars, but I like to have as much info as I can and this car is turning my head at the moment. :)

11. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Get in and out of one first. Entry and exit is not for those with bad backs or weak knees. (Having the top off helps.)

boxerman likes this.
  12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hey I own an E-Type and a 308 - neither of those are easy either! :D I'm very short too, so this shouldn't be an issue for me at all.

13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a 328 and an Exige, and trust me. Ingress and egress with the Exige is on an entirely different level than the 328. You really should “try one on” before committing.

Flash G likes this.
  14. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Trust me. Getting out of solitary confinement is easier.

rdefabri likes this.