Old school MXers? Check this out. | FerrariChat

Old school MXers? Check this out.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by blackbolt22, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I had toyed around with the idea of getting another MX bike for the last several years but ....

Anyway, Honda stopped making my beloved CR250 back in 2007. The last few models are all about the same thing as Honda was leaving the 2 stroke game. Only Yamaha and KTM still manufacture 2 stroke machines and Yamaha hasn't changed their 250 since around 06 or so.

My wife actually started pushing me to get another one. Difficult to believe I know. No, I don't have a large life insurance policy.

So I found this one which is like new. It's in the garage now. I'm going to do some MX riding and maybe an occasional race with the old dudes. It has barely ever been ridden. Looks like a museum piece.

Yes, my medical insurance is paid up. I ride like a turtle anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    These are seller's photos. Ugly hand guards will be removed.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks awesome! Something about a 2 stroke, it's hard not to love.

blackbolt22 likes this.
  4. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I fail to see how the old school title refers to anything in this post....

FLORIDAsnakeEyes and Doug. like this.
  5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I didn't want to say anything, so, thanks B R for breaking the ice. To me, old school MX-ers have 6 inches of travel in the front, two shocks in the rear with about 4 inches of travel. Think Hodaka Super Rats, Bultacos, Montessas and Ossa. Then Maicos, CZs and an AJS throw in for good measure. Just about anything prior to Honda's revolutionary CR 250.

rdefabri and B R like this.
  6. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There was also a white one...very last of the Honda 250/2 strokes. So cool!

7. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't forget old Husky WR's with the shifter working 1 up and 3 down. And of course, the countershaft sprocket that wasn't keyed. Those Swedes....

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Awesome !!!

9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just remembered something else about the old Husky WR250 I rode. I think in addition to the different 1 up and 3 down pattern, IIRC correctly the shifting and braking was flipped. You shifted on the right side.

10. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Nice bike.

For me, I don’t heal as well as I used to so MX tracts are off my list.

Have fun, be safe.

kevfla likes this.
  11. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Husky gas tanks were iconic, with the deep red paint and chromed knee indentations. It would be cool to paint-up a Husqvarna riding lawnmower in the same style! Their 125cc model had a yellow and chrome tank. The WR models were enduro bikes, the motocrossers were CRs. Wide-Ratio (gearbox) or Close-Ratio. My Ossa 175 Stiletto was a 4-speed right handed-shifter, which was desired for dirt track racing. My dad couldn't afford a Husky for me to crash. Check out what some of these early bikes are going for on eBay. Pretty astonishing!

12. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    During the course of an appraisal assignment in Volusia County a couple of years ago, I found this private track outside of DeLand. Great exercise!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sand is good, for a MX course.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My first rides were Honda 90s. I then shifted to Triumph. To this day, I can swing both ways on shifting without missing a beat. What's funny is I can also drive on the wrong side of the road without any problem. Strange talents to have, huh?

15. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Great find! I'm looking to acquire a '98 YZ400F or '03 YZ450F in any condition and restore it, sometime in the future when I have time.

16. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    I had an Elsinore,my buddy had a Bultaco Pursang,another pal had the Ossa Pioneer.
    We rode trails mostly..my fellow riders were very good,I just putted along..but the Honda was very quick.
    The Ossa was lots of fun to ride,didn’t scream like the other two but had tons of grunt. I could never ride the Bul worth a crap. But my mate did.
    The excellence of the Honda overall allowed me to keep up with the other two,mostly. Olden days long ago...cheers RE

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You guys had exotics. All we had were DT-1s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Hoodude likes this.
  18. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    True dat..
    That “LC” was one fine bike..I didn’t know how good it was..my first was a 175yammer..CT-1,was it?..it was from another dimension compared to the Honda..you couldn’t compare them at all..I even had a tag on the 175,rode it to the base..kept trying to modify it,make it Gooder ,titanium bars,21 inch front,metzler knobbies,ported polished head..still that lil ol slammer. Enjoyed it until the Honda came..then it got covered with dust. Cheers re

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Had a CT also!

Hoodude likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We used to race scrambles, not MX. A flat dirt track with some right-hand turns, no jumps, well, maybe one. Think the Peoria TT, which wasn't that far from me. We used to go total loss ignition and remove the flywheel and ignition coil. Bike would have a 500 rpm power band. It killed mosquitoes, until it kicked in and then Wow!

21. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Yeah,smoked some huh?
    We rode the old logging trails,pretty ruff..crossed the linville river/gorge a time or two(probably illegal,it being a protected area)..maybe not back that long ago..40 years..thousands of acres,hundreds of trail miles..took shocks,suspension,handling,horsepower,stamina to keep up..banged my knee up one ride,scared some sense,with a new baby back in the House sorta cooled it..didn’t want to ride much after that..
    Man,I sure sighed at Tex’s Duc the other day..can’t quite get it outta mah head,y’know? RE

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha gonna do? You need to look at the Guzzi for sale. More our speed.

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Nice purchase. A 15 year MX old bike needs full race ready prep especially swing arm pivot, steering stem, axels, and suspension fluids/setup. Go through the carb and check piston/rings and power valve mechanism as well. Enjoy!

24. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Cool bike! I think you should get it.
    I had a 250 Montessa, with a removable triangular stand that was a pain because I'd always have to find a tree or whatever to lean it on. It was a ***** to start also. You won't have that issue with the Honda ;)

25. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Thatt bike is “too pristine” to ride, let alone race. It sure is purty though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk