What's the worst "bait & switch" that happened to you? | FerrariChat

What's the worst "bait & switch" that happened to you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raines, Jul 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Without naming the seller, I ordered a pair of Sabelt racing belts and got a no-name brand. Since it was overseas, they tried to get me to keep them and pay 1/2 for them. Wasn't falling for it. Since it was an eBay purchase and most covet a good review, I was able to get a full refund. Happy ending, but you never know.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Not sure if it's bait and switch ,or just a clever scam, but I knew a guy who bought an Xbox...box. As in, when the Xbox first launched and became a hit he found an Ebay ad (among several other well crafted ones we later saw) for an Xbox, that read like it was for an actual Xbox, but was in fact for the box it came in. When you read it, it read like a couple reasonable typo, not an overpriced cardboard box. Adding to it, they charged an amount for shipping would one expect for something of that size and weight, like $30. I believe the total was something like $280, and a total surprise when a very light package arrived in the mail.

raines likes this.
  3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's not a bait and switch, that's thievery

LARRYH likes this.
  4. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Home Insurance

Policy states the deductable would be 1K in the event of damage

But there is one exeption called “wind /hail deductable” which means if its wind or hail damage the deductable is 3% of home value.

We had water in our home after a strong storm. The adjuster said the rain water was “driven by wind” therefore it is wind damage!

They would not budge on this. We cancelled the Farmers Ins policy.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I used to buy Cuban cigars on eBay, but as they have the no tobacco sales policy, everyone lists the box, and just stated that the contents were still in place etc. Bought a box of R&Js, and this time, the empty box turned up. I contacted the little dipstick, and he tried to tell me eBay don’t allow you to buy cigars, so £250 for an empty box was my problem. Unfortunately, the not so clever little nark put his return address on the box.... a council flat in a horrible part of Manchester. That same day, two friends of mine went to see him at his house, and made him pay me £500 compensation for the trouble, and his parcel taping hand got badly hurt in an accident He was stealing all sorts and advertising it on eBay, sometimes he’d send the item, sometimes he’d just sell the same thing several times and never send it out. He didn’t advertise cigar boxes ever again!

Pays to know people in every town and walk of life sometimes!

Eltel246, willrace and raines like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I ordered a new Ferrari. I speced out everything I wanted, particularly on the interior. I told the sales guy what I wanted. I sat down with him. I showed him pictures of other cars as examples. I made diagrams. He told me everything was in the system, including the equipment I wanted.

The car shows up with some of the biggest things I wanted not done (in particular, a two tone dash) and lacking some equipment.

So I tell the salesman -- what's the deal? I ordered the car one way and I got it another. "Why didn't it come the way I ordered it?" I say.

His response

"But isn't it beautiful! You should feel so lucky you got one so early!"

A month later he was fired (not because of me). But I felt I was baited and switched and told to take it or else.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hope you finally got what you wanted. An F-car is something you don't want to get wrong.

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    How to ‘win’ a thread in one post! Can’t believe someone dared to con the mayor...... balls of steel that salesman!

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... it was the last one I ordered.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Overpay your income taxes with "zero deductions" and you can get a refund after you file in April... never again. :)

11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ahnold SchwarzenKennedy: When he first ran for governor of California in 2003,he had a comprehensive and well-thought-out platform--developed by some very smart people--to fix California's manifold problems. But once in office he decided to be Mommy rather than Father-he wanted love and adoration instead of respect and fear-and proceeded to damage the state even more than his predecessor (who was recalled from office). The man is an utter fraud. The Bait: intelligent,common-sense conservatism. The Switch: to high-spending,high-regulation liberalism.

12. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You can keep your doctor...period. Oops! Didn't mean to go there. Walt started it.

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    You can keep your health plan...Your premiums will go down by $2500/year...

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    There are single cans of cat food on amazon for the price of a case of 24.

Most Famously:

"Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
    Why she walk like a woman and talk like a man
    Oh my Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola"

sjd

tomc likes this.
  15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Rarely happens to me as I can always see it coming and have no problem calling bull ****. I remember an electronics retailer in my area advertising dirt cheap video cameras (yes, this was a long time ago) and when I got to the store, they said "they were out". I raised holy hell, called bull **** and said this is classic bait and switch.

I then was given a far better camera at the same price.

I'm not always that lucky - my 2014 Nissan Pathfinder was a bit of a bait and switch, although not in the classic sense. I was offered a good price for the car, and although I can't prove it, I think they knew the car was a lemon. Nearly everything has gone wrong short of a major breakdown, half of the electrical items don't work, they claim they couldn't fix it, door handles breaking, visors falling off. Complete ****.

Needless to say, I won't be buying or recommending another Nissan. That's all I can do.

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My first wife swore she was not a bat **** nuts, hypochondriac, bipolar maniac with a penchant for self medicating. Had me fooled for a while there.

JohnTz and daytona355 like this.
  17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I don't get it. were you due a refund and was not sent a check? or were the tax calculation correct and you paid just enough. If you had more deductions, you will have to pay comes April 15.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The worst bait and switch was an ex girlfriend and an ex fiance - which is why either is an ex and not a current

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Due sizable refund, now 4 months later still 3 weeks out from actually getting it. :( It has to be "released" to you apparently..

20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    My acct mistakenly sent a whole lot of money to the gov (it happens with auto withdrawal set up then reminding the client to send in est quarterly payments). We simply apply nearly a year’s worth of refund to the next year’s estimated taxes. No refund check needed.

21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Biggest bait and switch - Brexit

Vote leave, the country will save £350miilion a week!, and all the foreigners will have to go home

Idiots believe them, vote leave........

result - Cameron leaves, Mrs May pretends to be thatcher, admits the £350million we never even paid it in the first place, and what we did pay, we got most of it back in rebates!, and the foreign workers (who, by the way, helped make the UK successful) can stay anyway! Brexit was just a con on the working classes to line someone’s pocket - who’s? I dont know, but it’s all about the cash, that I do know