85 Tr metric tires. Need new wheels? | FerrariChat

85 Tr metric tires. Need new wheels?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by SOFTWAREGUY, Jul 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    I have a 1985 Testarossa. Single Bolt TRX metric knock offs. It needs new tires.
    I was told that there are no more TRX tires.

So I assume that I will need to buy new wheels.
    Can someone suggest where I would buy new wheels?

Apologies if there is another thread on this topic.
    Thanks in advance.

2. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    Image wheels in England is where I just bought mine and I love them

3. Jason Pye

Jason Pye Rookie

May 13, 2018
    U.K.
    Full Name:
    Jason Pye
    Hi,
    I’ve just bought an 85 Testarossa (and love it) and assume wheel / tyre issues are on the horizon, do you have any pictures of the new wheels? And if you don’t mind me asking, how eye wateringly expensive were they?
    Thanks for your help,
    J

4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Only real options for replacement stock wheels is to ask on here as someone just got a set from a fellow fchatter as did I a few months ago. You can try Ebay but complete sets are rare these days. Some have opted to buy them piecemeal 1 by 1 as they become available until they completed the set. Try Image in the UK as mentioned above. Good luck on your search. Be patient!

5. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    I don't remember exactly, around $3300 delivered, They look like 288 GTO wheels. Have picture on my phone. PM your # and I will send you a picture. I sold the 2 rears to the guy mentioned in this post cause I was sick of looking for inferior wheels and driving around on cracked tires.

6. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    I have a picture on my phone, If you want to send me a text PM, I will send it back. I do not know how to post pictures from my phone to this site.

7. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    Just remembered I have a picture on my Face Book page

8. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Peter, thanks for your input.
    Just saw your facebook page - Looks great. What kind / size of tires are on those wheels.

I called Image Wheels in UK but there message says they are on holiday until Aug 6.

I can post your facebook picture for you if that is ok with you.
    Nice that you have both a before and after picture.

peteficarra likes this.
  9. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    Sure go ahead and post them. I want to say I would go with 16" OEM if I could find them but to me down the road when they cracked from old age, would they be available? Image will make them in 16" but I bought 18's because I wanted to be able to buy them when they cracked down the road. I have read on this Forum that some do not like the look of 18's on a TR, I love the look of mine. Image is always on a Holiday, they will be back and communicate very well.

10. Jason Pye

Jason Pye Rookie

May 13, 2018
    U.K.
    Full Name:
    Jason Pye
    Just checked you car out on FB, looks amazing on the 18’s, I’ll be contacting Image wheels soon, the good news is they’re not far from where I live.
    Thanks for the advice Peter.

peteficarra likes this.
  11. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    Softwareguy, the tires are Michelin Sport 4S 235/40ZR18 and 275/35ZR18. They are the tires that replace my Metric ones according to Tire Rack. I was worried about the tires rubbing when I turned etc. but no problems at all. The car really handles like never before. life is short, why ride around on cracked obsolete tires.

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My '87 has some Italian brand of aftermarket 17x8 and 17x10" wheels on them. Not sure which brand. I need to replace the rears which are currently 315/35ZR17's. I calculated that a 275/40 will be the same OD so that's what I'm going to go with next. These cars don't need such a huge rear tire IMO.

13. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    peteficarra and Jason Pye like this.
  14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    They look fine.

We reall need to get that company that made the repro boxer wheels to make 17 inch Testarossa wheels. 17 inch has a ton of tire options.

15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  16. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have 18” on mine. I believe they were made by HRE back in the day. Had a matching set of chrome ones that I sold and they were stamped HRE on the inner rim when I removed the tires.

17. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Does anyone have picture from Image wheels under Testarossa?

18. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    Just Google them, lots of photos of 3 piece Billet wheels they can make single bolt for the Testarossa

19. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014