One of three Ferrari V8 twin turbo experimental 2ltr engines. | FerrariChat

One of three Ferrari V8 twin turbo experimental 2ltr engines.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by RC-BB, Jun 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RC-BB

RC-BB Rookie

Jan 13, 2015
    Hey everyone, not sure how to do this, I'm new at this. So here it goes. I'm selling a mid eighties Ferrari experimental engine: The following is a description written in the RM catalog of the auction I bought it from.

Ferrari has always been at the forefront of modern engine design, especially in the early 80's when this V8 turbocharged motor was developed. This is one of Ferrari's experimental designs. This small 2.0-litre twin turbocharged 90-degree V-8, bearing engine number 002, features two large turbos, with no catalytic converters, and claims to develop upwards of 400 horsepower. This factory experimental engine was developed with the help of Mr Nicola Materazzi, who was also instrumental in the development of the Lancia Stratos, Ferrari 288 GTO and F40, and the Bugatti EB110. It is believed that only three such examples were produced, with one now residing at the Ferrari Museum. This twin turbo engine, with its characteristic red cam covers, represents a rare opportunity to obtain a factory experimental-development engine.

Specs: Twin Turbo 400 hp @ 7,500 rpm, 1,996.8 cc 90-degree V-8 engine, bore and stroke of 77 mm. x 53.6 mm., 7.7:1 compression, dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder. The five speed gearbox that is mounted on it comes with it as well.
    Asking for $50,000
    If anyone is interested, please email me for photos and info.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is quite the piece!!!

Lowest engine stamping I had seen until now, was a street 512BB engine, 00004!
    GLWS!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One timing belt or two?
    That rear pumpkin dates it, to the later 348 series of power plants??

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sure would like to see the intake system on that engine!

5. mrfiorano

mrfiorano Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    HIALEAH
    Full Name:
    Rolando Grillo
    hello , still have the engine?

6. mrfiorano

mrfiorano Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    HIALEAH
    Full Name:
    Rolando Grillo
    hello is this engine still available?

7. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
  8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Really cool picture of the prototype motor with intake and gear driven camshafts in the above link.

I imagine they were contemplating this motor for the 348, similar to what they did with the the 208 turbo for eurpoean/Italian markets (when they decreased displacement to get around taxes on engine size vs the 308)? Just a guess given the vintage which looks similar to the 348 era, and 5 speed vs 6 speed transmission that was used since the 355...

9. RC-BB

RC-BB Rookie

Jan 13, 2015
    Sorry for the late reply, yes the motor is still available, I've asked the factory to help with dating and any other info they may have. Still waiting for a definite Reply!!!

10. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    The engine is for sale again. Switzerland
    39000€

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed