Materazzi interview - The engine engineer of 288 GTO and F40 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Materazzi interview - The engine engineer of 288 GTO and F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by luigisayshello, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Oh wow this video is amazing. So revealing about so many things.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. goddrivesa365gts4

Nov 14, 2009
    Just stumbled across this video and Davide's channel. I was completely enthralled, and had no idea the car was designed pretty much by him alone!

I was so shocked at what happened after the F40 launch, and we're left to imagine what F cars we would have seen with Materazzi at the helm.

babgh and Makuono like this.
  3. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Great video, thank you!

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    and there will be even more details on my book… ;)

ciao

5. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    I love how he is called Ingegnere in the same way we might call someone Doctor or Professor. Pity the word has been so devalued, at least in the US/UK.

babgh likes this.
  6. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    He's a legend!

Certainly designed and built my favourite cars: Stratos, GTO and F40

I can't believe he is not more famous, everyone seems to focus on the brand or the design! Other than Gordon Murray and the Mac F1, no-one seems to appreciate the importance of the lead engineer / or engineering design in general.

Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  7. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    babgh, Acacg and Albert-LP like this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    of2worlds likes this.
  9. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Saw it in 1997 in the streets of Modena

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thanks for sharing.

Pictures were taken in corso Vittorio Emanuele in Modena and you can see a piece of the Accademia Militare back too. Did you take the picture?

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  11. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Yes, both pictures are taken by me. I visited the 50 anniversary in 1997

Doug23, of2worlds and Albert-LP like this.
  12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Bert, I like very much the second picture, the one taken from behind and where you see a bit of Accademia Militare: If you want I could add it to the story I wrote about that car on my book (that I'm writing for hobby, I'm not a pro). I will write picture courtesy of... Under it. If you agree please send me the written permission to publish via PM saying you are the picture owner and you give me the permission to publish it.

Thank you very much.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  13. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I do, as such I asked him to do the Foreword for my 288 GTO book, and he graciously agreed.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Well done Joe! Reminds me I haven't looked at your great book in a while! think I'll go read that forward now!

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What a great video!
    I love Ferrari but must admit my "library" of Ferrari books is only about 7 books.
    Can you guys recommend some great books?
    Thx!

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #41 joe sackey, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    For those who don't have the book, I listed his Foreword statement as Igegnere Nicola Materazzi.

He sent me some scans of his personal photographs depicting the design and mock execution of the F40's famed aero (quite different from the GTO Evoluzione's) noting it's aviation influence.

Much of the material he sent did not make it into the GTO book as publishers are faced with logistic constraints which prevent them from using a lot of the material at hand - sadly.

That said, it's all there, filed away for posterity

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, bertdeboer340 and crinoid like this.
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #42 joe sackey, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    of2worlds, Bobj and crinoid like this.
  18. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I am learning so much its like sensory overload but wanting more! This is great that all this is being brought to light.

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you very much, Joe, for sharing those pictures: they are great. Unfortunately I wouldn't put them on a book as Ferrari has a copyright on them (whoever took the pictures) and (maybe this you don't know) Ferrari sold (for a not low price) all its pictures copyright to two big Editors. I had a phone call with the Factory before starting to write my book and they warned me about don't doing that mistake, that is doing a commercial use of their pictures (for example to put them on a book for sale, here on the forum is not commercial use so you can publish what you want) or I could be prosecuted by them.

That's why, despite having several pictures taken by who worked there, I didn't put them on the book and did such a big effort to find some Ferrari copyright free old pictures.

So, to escape this big risk, I preferred to go and talk to the man that did what there is in your (fantastic) pictures and he told me all the story of the 288 GTO Evoluzione and F40, from the beginning to end: they don't have a copyright on words so I recorded a wonderful and long interview that came out to be the best and most important part (in my opinion) of my (humble) book, with details and info I never saw anywhere nor heard before. Thank you very much to give me the opportunity to share this with others on the forum by posting those very interesting pictures.

ciao

of2worlds, Acacg and bertdeboer340 like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #45 joe sackey, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    My UK-based Publisher conferred with the legal department at Ferrari SpA and handled the copyright aspect of our book in accordance with the mandates Ferrari had in place at that time, it appears that Ferrari SpA is becoming even more restrictive with image usage over time, and I would find this to be very limiting for the publication of a book today (the reason why I find magazine publications offer much more creative freedom). Combine that with the decline of the medium, book publication is not an easy proposition.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    I hear what you are saying Joe but I am thinking magazines are largely vehicles for advertisers and can only present limited amounts of information which usually do not go in depth on any subject and remain pretty superficial.
    That being said, I would still like to see a compilation of your various communications with insiders including text and sketches and pictures in one place. To that end, my wife was suggesting the cup of coffee analogy. We have had a cup of coffee forever but Starbuck's reinvented the format. Lately it has become very easy and affordable to use online services to compile materials in a hard cover color coffee table book format. We have done this for customers at the shop to chronicle their restorations and it is amazingly cheap to do. Could that be done and you could privately distribute them yourself to those interested?

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    55629 of the MOGAM Collection in Catania, Sicily. Repainted silvergrey, aftermarket front spoiler.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That is an option, can you post some of the online services you speak of, that might be helpful to others as well.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Does anyone know if the early F40s were built on a separate production line or with the race department? Did it change when they decided to build many more than originally planned?

Doug23 and joe sackey like this.
  25. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Nicola Materazzi passed away yesterday, aged 83.

Paul

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.