BMC air filter installation Ferrari 488 GTB | FerrariChat

BMC air filter installation Ferrari 488 GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hey guys,

I installed the BMC air filter on my 488 GTB the other night. I thought members might enjoy seeing the video I made, especially if this is a job anyone has been contemplating doing themselves. It's certainly a bit more involved than on the 458 Italia, so I think it's helpful to know what's required and how to go about it.

I enjoyed having the BMC air filter on my 458, not because it added much HP, but rather because it added to the induction noise. I'm hoping I'll have the same sort of results with the 488 and maybe be able to hear some of the turbo whistle, etc.

Anyway, here's the video for anyone who is interested!

Ray

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ray , most importantly after the filter switch is there any difference in the sound. Also thanks for taking the time to make the video. Best ,Kirk.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hey Kirk - I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet. I'll probably take it out in a few day here. I will report back once I do, as far as whether I notice any sound differences or not.

Ray

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Drove the car today; you can definitely hear a little more whistle from the turbos.

Ray

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ray , I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Lol. You tell me bro.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You can hear them spinning a little bit more, but not much :)

7. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi

I just plugged the lines on my 488 and I can't here the turbo s at all now and I'm pleased With That!

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    RayJohns likes this.
  9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Digging up an old thread....because I hear 2 conflicting stories on if 488’s come from the factory with a BMC filter or paper filter? Also Ray I was hoping this video would still be up or is there a link to it elsewhere?

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I deleted the video a few months ago.

Unless something radical has changed, Ferraris come with paper filters from the factory.

Ray

mdrums likes this.
  11. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Ferrari 488's have always come with paper filters from the factory.

BMC is the only performance brand Ferrari recognizes and their filters are sold by Ferrari dealers worldwide but they were never fitted to cars that left Maranello.

12. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
  13. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Would be interesting to see this video, but it's been removed. So at least on the 458 the BMC's made a big difference in sound it seems?

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, I decided I would go through my YouTube channel the other day and remove all the videos which weren't all that popular. I had forgotten that I had linked it to Ferrarichat or I probably wouldn't have removed it.

The BMC filter didn't make all that much difference. You could hear the turbos a bit more, nothing spectacular. The video in question didn't include any road tests or anything. It was strictly showing me installing it and giving some tips on how to do the installation, etc.

On the 458, it allowed a bit more induction noise as I recall.

Ray