Rear bumper repair. | FerrariChat

Rear bumper repair.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by James A, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Had a brain fart moment. I got out of my 458 spider whilst on a small slope in neutral and she rolled back and low speed crunched. One air intake surround has cracked and the rear bumper also has cracked at the bottom in one spot and either side of the number plate, although these are more clearly visible on the inside and have to be looked for on the outside.

Anyone know a rough cost to repair, I'm in the UK, and is there a good way to get it done and a not so, ie fix existing or replace. I'm assuming it will most likely be an insurance job if I go via a dealer due to the price but......

Any help / advice is appreciated. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ortho-doc

ortho-doc Karting

Jul 7, 2018
    Sorry to see this -- will try to locate my notes when I had the same thing on my 458 (since sold). I'm sure others will post in the meantime...

3. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Thanks ortho-doc, guess I just got too used to driving my regular cars where the parking brake automatically applies ..... we live and learn (please let me have learnt). My feeling is that the tipping point is probably at around £4500, more and it's insurance, less and I'm footing the whole bill.

Melvok likes this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    From the picture, this appears to be extremely minor. Find a body repair place which will repair rather than replace. Repair the cracks and then use touch-up paint applied with small paint brushes.

New parts and new paint will probably cost 12,000 £

5. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Thanks for the advice, any idea what you may pay for a body repair shop? Also what you may expect to pay to respray assuming they have to grind down the exterior section along the crack. Like you say, it fairly minor but there are always £ signs when you rock up in a Ferrari.

6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Strange... the car has auto brake. was the car with the engine turned on?

7. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Unfortunately yes, that was my error.

Melvok likes this.
  8. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Where are You located James?
    I'm in the southwest

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Happens more often than you think …. Will cost appr. $ 6000 I think …

New bumper is nat the problem, the other part mat take 4 months to get from Italy.

Search that part at Ebay for around $ 600 …. quickest way, believe me :)

10. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    I'm in the Southeast, near Dorking.

11. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    I guess my main problem will be knowing what I need without taking it all apart. Time to get my hands dirty.....now what happened to all those trolley jacks and other tools I had 20 years ago, argh yes marriage.....

Melvok likes this.
  12. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Keep in mind the best route is to go through insurance. The bumpers are plastic and nobody will check for paint thickness on plastic parts, because the tool for it is so expensive, so they simply can't do it. Metal panels is much easier as the tool is so much more cheaper as well.

Good luck!

Melvok likes this.
  13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Also remember there are different versions of the rear bumper. Such as if you have the rear parking sensors. Obviously the price is also different .

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #14 Melvok, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  15. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Those repairs aren't hard and shouldn't cost too much. The bumper needs to be repainted and the fiberglass by the diffuser can be easily repaired and repainted. Just find a reputable body shop. I wouldn't go for new parts as they will cost a small fortune.

Melvok and boobernackle like this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have seen one repaired bumper on a 458, polyester repaired cracks came back ….. :(

17. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    We have a lot of experience removing and re-installing the parts on the back of a 458 and can tell you that removing the bumper is a 30 minute job once the car is on a ramp. The damage you have shown is actually very minor and can be repaired 100% perfect by a competent body shop. I cannot quote prices in the UK but know that in Canada that can be repaired perfect for $2-3K making it not worth it to call your insurance company. Furthermore I would urge you to talk to the body shop about blending the repair areas to the surrounding paint rather than painting the whole panel. Given the repair spots the most perfect match would come from quality area blends of the red followed by a full re-clear of the bumper. This way it will be impossible to spot the repair and it will never look like the panel has been re-finished. There is no need to buy new parts as this is a simple cosmetic repair.

18. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Id find a good bodyshop local and get them to do it - there is one I have used in exeter a few times but it's a way away from you...

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    But still, if it is an insurance job, have a F dealer do it; it then will be documented into the history (IF you like that) ...

20. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Many thanks for all the info, I have had some pricing from a local body shop giving a ball park figure of about £2100 (inc vat) plus the cost of a new air intake surround which sounds similar to those suggested. Hopefully should get something through from Ferrari dealer soon as a comparison just so I can make a fully informed decision.