American Cars of the 80's | Page 4 | FerrariChat

American Cars of the 80's

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jvmax, May 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ejf2461

ejf2461 Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You guys left out the fast stuff! My pop was a VP for GM and a true car lover so I grew up on GM Muscle and we constantly ordered rare gm stuff. My all time favorite 80's Muscle Car was the 1989 Pace Car Turbo Trans AM with the Hopped Up Buick GNX Motor! I had a buddy with a super light LX 5.0 5 Speed what was used to taking my 5.7 Iroc by a fender 14.30 vs 14.39 1/4mi. The TTA took him by 10 car lengths. I dunno how I didnt kill myself a few times. I passed a buddys vette on prom night and his digital dash read 158mph! We had Syclones & Typhoons a GTA Notchback with 5.0TPI Stick Shift & WS6, a T-Type Turbo Regal with a Pit Bull Prom Chip (No 124mph Gov.) and a 145mph speedo. Had a V8 S10 & a V8 Fiero which also almost killed me...Back in those days I didnt know if you add 200 hp you might need a little more brakes! Had a 1992 Firebird Firehawk..GOD if I had some of those toys today!! I even remember a GM test vehicle which was a Buick Reatta Convertible only this one was Rear Wheel Drive & had a 3.8L Turbo GN motor. Lots of good memories!

anunakki and Wade like this.
  2. ejf2461

ejf2461 Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I remember going cruising in a Chrysler Town about 30 minute drive from where I was raised and racing one of those in my 1987 IROC-Z 5.7 I couldn't quit shaking my head on how quick that little thang was. I only got him by a hair!

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yes I agree it is a HOOT to drive! I love it, no one knows what it is.

4. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    #79 fedcoin, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    This post is a treasure of C4 insight. Very cool to read this and some old magazine tests of the C4. There was so much advancement and technology in that car, overshadowed by some very noticeable accounting limitations that every journalist commented on.

Thus, the mainstream image was created and still stands today.

I drove a properly neglected 1990 convertible yesterday with 72k miles and was pleasantly surprised. It had some cowl shake over really bad roads but almost no dash or interior squeaks. I have driven a lot of low mileage and well cared for C4s and it was interesting to see what a terrible one was like.

Seems that interior update made a big difference and can age well.

HenryR, how is your ZR1 doing? Did you ever install modern brake pads and modern tires?

LSJ

6. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    My dad has an early ‘90’s Chevy Impala SS with the Corvette engine. It only has about 10k miles. The Mexican Americans in town go crazy when they see it. Sort of their Holy Grail.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it's a beast. thing must have terrorized the streets back in the day.

after a full service/fluid/fuel injectors.

it has newer tires on it but i am planning to swap to the r888s (one issue is there a very few choices for matching front/rears in 17')

havent done anything with the brakes yet. either try new pads or spring for a BBK

lashss likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I see one of those all the time. He has a nice exhaust set up on it. Cool car. Not too many around anymore..

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I too, had a few of these. Folks always thought this pic of my driveway had an outlier!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

davidoloan, k wright and NEP like this.
  10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Always wanted one - would love to pull the trigger one day.

Reminds me of a funny story I've told here before. I grew up by Englishtown Raceway Park, and would go to the Friday night "Run What Ya Brung" drag races. I had a pretty hotted up Datsun 280Z I raced, a friends worked over Pontiac Trans Am (the Bandit style), and an 11 second Camaro my buddy owned.

On a few occasions when I didn't have anything to drive, I commandeered my parents' white / red interior Dodge Aries K Wagon. I mean the car was a pig to drive, low on power and a slushbox to boot.

Yet - with helmet in hand - I made it over to E-town and dragged the thing. It's handicap racing, so I'd get a major head start over the competition - I think the thing ran 20+ seconds in the quarter mile. I very vividly remember coming up against a real hot Mustang that ran 12's or less. So I'm basically half track before he goes, and I could hear that beast get louder and louder as it got close to (and ultimately passed) me. :D:D:D:D:D:D

11. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've had some of the most fun I've ever had in an automobile with these GLHS's. Embarrassed many much more expensive cars at various tracks. Even had mine transported in Shelby American's big rig to the Terlingua Reunion. Shelby himself came up to the car and asked how much boost I was running and laughed when he mentioned that I was embarrassing the Ford Shelbys with it-signed the dash and said he would always own GLHS number 1 as it was one of his favorite cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You know these motors can handle a LOT of power, right? Go search on YouTube for 12 second minivan - you'll find a guy that has done his research on mix / match parts and how to get big power from them.

I'm a big fan of the backyard tweaks / tricks. A big deal in the Datsun 240 / 260 / 280Z community, which is how I pepped up my old 280Z. It wasn't a rocket, but did mid 15's in the quarter mile, which was about 1 second quicker than stock...no small feat with little budget!!!

13. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No it was a Concept Car for Pontiac.

k wright likes this.
  15. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    It is great design!

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki likes this.
  17. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What a great era

18. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    jm2 likes this.
  19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    jm2 likes this.
  20. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Davesvt2000, Boomhauer and Ak Jim like this.
  21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I special ordered a new 1990 Corvette (L98) 6spd with the Z-51 suspension (big brakes) and 'without' the adjustable suspension. This has to be an unusual car. Steel gray metallic. I called the factory and asked if it was possible to special order a convertible with the big brakes - they would not make an exception. I believe you could technically get the big brakes on the Callaway convertible - as an option.

22. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Interesting comment by someone on here about the performance of 80's cars vs their daily drivers- after 3 years owning a 1990 corvette 6-speed convertible, I bought a used 6-speed 540i as a daily driver (this is around 2002) which had the same performance but in a sedan. I had my fun with the vette, but the lack of better performance than my daily was the nail in the coffin for me and I decided to sell the vette and get back to the smaller sports cars (911). The ability to do the same or more in a sedan just killed off my desire to have the vette anymore since the size and personality of the C4 got long in the tooth for me. That said, I still have fond memories of the vette (when I first got it, I loved the 345 ft lbs of torque that came in low- a new experience coming from a small displacement 911) and am glad I owned one for a while. I still think it's a great looking car (along with the GNs people mention in here). After my experience with the vette, as much as I love '87 GNs, if I bought one I'd probably tire of it and quicker than the 3 years it took me to desire something other than the vette (actually I started thinking of moving on after about 2 years).

Lots of talk about the ZR1 here- here is a nice quick run of one (on a closed 2 lane- I'd prefer more lanes at these speeds :) ) This video highlights the big differnece from my old L98- which as others said was out of breath by the mid 4,000 range. Of course a ZR1 is more 90's than 80's...

23. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ha, different perspectives-While I'll keep my older 911s, I went back to the Corvette for the newer sportscar as its shorter in overall length than the 911 and nearly 3 inches lower-"smaller sportscars" indeed.

24. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I should have clarified- I had a 78 and 87 911 before the 90 vette, and went to a 93 911- the new 911s are bloated.

The C4 corvette felt very big comparatively speaking- and especially the fact that the car was long/wide, and yet with the side sills, not overyly roomy inside with no truck. I wanted the lower sloped hood design of the 911 again (and the build quality). I got a 360 after the 93 911 and loved that car, looks and all. The one complaint may have been the 360 is a wide car too- the 355 I now have is more go-cart like :)

If I had room and enough money, I'd keep them all (corvette included) as I loved all the cars for different reasons. But only having one sports car at a time, I wanted to go smaller again

ForzaV12 likes this.