DIY replacement of Slow Down ECUs | FerrariChat

DIY replacement of Slow Down ECUs

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jznd, Jul 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    After having just spent a small fortune on a bunch of replacements/repairs, I'd like to attempt to save a bit of cash and DIY the SDECU replacement. They're throwing an occasional SD warning even when the car is cold. Seems like it should be something I might possibly be able to do...

Is this just plug and play, or does it require a computer and/or other technical skills?

2. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    Dear jznd, I delete mine fitting a simple plug with a 2,5v transistor between pin1 and pin 3, and sending pin 2 to earth, but I did that because my car is de-catted....
    I don't understand if you want to replace your SDECUs with a your "functional" version, or instead just delete them.
    Cheers!

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The system throws a fault based one one or more of the following:

- The fault is real and the CAT is too hot
    - The CAT temp ECU is bad
    - The thermocoupler is bad
    - The wiring is bad

All can be diagnosed and fixed. Removing the system is very dangerous as it can prevent an engine bay fire.

marce and Jaguar36 like this.
  4. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong

Absolutely agree. Not planning to remove it, I'm thinking the cat temp ecus have gone bad and was planning to replace them. Is this just a matter of swapping out the old ones and putting new ones in?

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes.

6. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes. It is plug and play. I put in the Gothspeed ones as they have a better reputation than the Ferrari ones. Solved all my light and driveability issues. I just sold 456 to the insurance company after it got damaged. I swapped old ecu’s back in before they took it. PM me if you want mine. Less than 200 miles on them. Comes with boxes and instructions. Takes about 15 minutes to change both using 7mm wrench.

7. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    HI everyone! I just found out that my car was decatted with tubi straight pipe ( I think) and it has always been a flashing SD. My mech had checked the thermocouples and they seemed new and good. Cat ECU looked Ok (green epoxy type, obviously it was replaced before)--no cracks. Do you think the removal of the Cat can cause the Slowdown warning? He also checked the wires with an Ohm meter and they seemed good. No misfiring, so faulty injectors can be ruled out. Do your guys think the ECU could be the culprit? I really want to solve this nagging issue on a otherwise a beautiful car with so much of comfort and torque.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The removal of the CATs won't cause this. It's in the other items I posted above.

9. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you Dave

10. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Dave

Let say if all these items are replaced or swapped from another car to determine the real culprit, do I need to do the resetting procedure or just turn on the engine and see if the SD light still comes on?

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't believe a reset is required. I know the system very well in a 355 and believe it's the same in other models. What car do you have?

12. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    A 550. Even at cold start now, the SD light is flashing. Before it was only at idling after a run or got stuck in a traffic jam when the car stopped and moved. Mine was an early 550 so the system is more or less like your 355.

Regards

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'll review the 550 WSM in the next couple days. If you are able to isolate the fault to one bank, you can swap components and see if the fault moves. That is the easiest low level diagnostics.

14. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Yes, I have ordered a new ECU and will do the switch to see the SD goes away. Btw, is there an indication to tell which bank signals a slowdown issue?

Appreciate your kind assistance, Dave

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You would need to scan the system with an OBDII or SD2 I believe unless 550's have a light for each bank which I don't believe they do. 95 355's did and 96-99 only have a single light.

See attached codes that relate

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    OP go find my thread on this. Do what I did which is to apply 1.5V battery across some wires I specified in that thread. If the SD light is off with 1.5V applied then the problem is downstream to the applied short. If the light still illuminates then the problem is upstream of the applied short. That will help isolate your diagnostics. Then if you want better parts than ferrari contact drbob1 for his thermocouples which are more robust than ferrari. Once don't that leaves the SDECU as the issue downstream of the applied short. Then either get working Ferrari SDECU's or manually monitor with EGT gauges, or source aftermarket SDECU like the ones cribbj used or drbob1 used.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nothing wrong with OEM thermocouples which are not made by Ferrari. The bigger problem is the temp ECU's. Not sure what happened to Goth's solution regarding those.

18. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Dave, thanks for the info, very useful and I will pass it to my mech. Yes Fatbillybob, I remember reading your lengthy subject. I will report back once everything has been put back and tested.

Regards

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    When I bought my 456M, it did not have any catalyzers and had always the Slow Down on right from startup. When I put the catalyzers on, I never saw the light again.

20. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    F456M, thanks for sharing. Theoretically it shouldn't as suggested by Dave and others here but there are also owners who solved the SD problems after doing what you did. But mostly suspect the ECU being the problem. It's a mind blogging thing to solve.

21. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    has the 456M only got 1 warning light ?
    on the 456GT you have 2, so its simply a case of swapping left and right exhaust temperature ECU units, and watching the lights switch over.

22. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    Chris, let me know if you still have the Gothspeed ones, and how much you want for them, and I presume you would ship to the UK please ?
    PM me

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm not familiar with the 456 but in most cases, the system does not work like that. I suspect when you had "no CATs" you also had not Thermocouples and when the CAT's were installed, so were the rest of the system parts. The SDL system measures CAT exhaust gas temp which will be a lot less with no CAT.

24. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Hi ,
    I have also removed the Cats on my car and am getting a CE light on. Can you please let me know if you would sell the transistors?
    Please let me know.
    Kind regards
    Steve in NY

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Steve - a CEL and SDL are two very different things. You are getting a CEL because the down stream O2 sensor is telling the ECU the CAT is not doing it's job (because it's not present).

To fake that out, take a look at http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/