330GTC Ignition Issue | FerrariChat

330GTC Ignition Issue

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330BRC, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    I parked the 330GTC after a trouble free drive, went back to start it and no ignition power. It cranks but does not fire. The instruments stay dead which indicates no ignition power. I checked the ignition fuse. It is fine. Does anyone know of a possible issue upstream of the ignition fuse that can interrupt power?

I seem to remember something about ignition power tied in with the clock. The clock is original and works intermittently.
    Any feedback out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    Problem resolved for now. The CEAM ignition relay next to the fuse panel was not closing with power applied. I tapped the ignition relay lightly with a socket extension and it started working.
    Rebuilding/servicing the relay, if possible, is now on the list.

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Brian: Check your fuse panel for a black square Bakelite electrical junction box. It will have four connections with brass screws holding the wires. If you look closely, you will see a "staple" jumping the power between the connectors. Remove the wires and "staple" and clean them. That could very well be your problem.

4. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    I think I have a nos black electrical relay box for your car if you need it. A spare for my old 330GTS. Also. CHeck the bus bar where the wires connect on the firewall. Need a very small slot screw driver to tighten them. I had the same problem years ago and although I thought the relay box had failed, it was a hidden connection on the firewall.

5. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    Thank you Gents for your feedback and knowledge. Very much appreciated. I have some sorting to do.
    Glenn - I believe I have a spare used relay. I will see if I can make what I have reliable. Thank you for the offer.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The CEAM power relay on the fuse board is very simple, easy to work on. The hardest part is getting it on and off of the fuse board. After you get it off, there are two tiny screws on the back of the relay that hold the cover on. Take the cover off and clean the points contact surfaces with very fine sandpaper, I use 1000 or 1500 grit. Make sure that the points touch evenly when the relay closes. There is a red cloth that is wrapped around the coil winding that comes loose with time. I have seen it foul the points. I reglue it to the windings with good contact cement.