just bought my first "Ferrari" :) (damaged) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

just bought my first "Ferrari" :) (damaged)

Discussion in '360/430' started by HektikArab, Jul 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    An accident of the size shown in your images significantly devalues your car regardless of who fixes it. Deviating from original specs during the repair in any way will devalue the car further because personal modifications to style or structure will narrow your pool of buyers further; this is basic economics. If you cannot accept that then you are in for a rude surprise and it will come entirely at your personal expense.

I do encourage that you document your proving us all wrong. I for one will be happy to eat my proverbial hat and will publicly and graciously apologize if you manage to do it.

2. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Please post pictures of the repair as you go......

Disregard the naysayers!

Dewinator and HektikArab like this.
  3. HektikArab

HektikArab Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Samuel Allouche

I dont need to document or prove it, its common sense actually. Im sure if you got a Jeep Wrangler and put on it heavy duty reinforced bulbar front and rear with roll cages that would make it better then manufacturer specifications, this is also true with any other cars, not all the leather the manufacturers use is "top of the range" , if you look at the seams for where the guards connect to the body of the car they use glue in some places, would you say that is stronger/safer/higher quality manship, then say using a thicker body weld all the way around? anyway im not here to prove to you or anyone this is not the first car , nor will it be my last. "why so negative tho?" not everything the big guys supply is best!, there are guys on here who could and did make a ferrari improved 10 times if not 100 times better than what ferrari brought them out, in which ever way that may be they improved the car, whether It be asthetically , structurally , or mechanically. There really is no discussion here, but hey what would I know right im just a guy doing something that nobody else on here "is brave enough" to step out and do. I will post pics as I go for you guys all good.

4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    +1 it’s great to keep another one of these amazing driver’s cars on the road!

HektikArab likes this.
  5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    In the Ferrari world deviations from stock generally lower the re-sale price of a car. This is a current FACT whether or not it agrees with your 'common sense' that changing what is stock to upgraded materials or options 'should' make the car more valuable.

I'll be the first to admit that the Ferrari does not have the best leather, or paint, or build quality. Just because it is OEM does not mean it is the best but the credibility that the OEM has as a manufacturer carries a lot of weight with buyers and trumps just about any argument to the contrary. In the end the market decides and there is ample data to support that un-modified, all original, no-stories cars bring the highest prices.

None of what I am saying is meant to be negative or discouraging. At the same time I do not see the point in blowing false sunshine that the proposed project makes financial sense. It may be a cool adventure & will certainly be a learning experience. Have fun with it.

efg2014, Carnut and KC360 FL like this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Very few here think the 360 is an investment.
    But I respectfully submit that to rationalize this purchase the way you have is only kidding yourself.

But of course, as I said good luck. And I mean that. At least another 360 will be on the road should you finish it the way you want to. :)

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm afraid you will find out that this is incorrect. There are a ton of repaired cars that go for pennies or are just plain unsellable because people put way more $$$ fixing these car than what they are realistically worth. They can be improved 10x over factory and they still have the black eye of a salvage title or wreck. That's why you see so many of these cars totaled for what's perceived as minimal damage. It's more expensive to buy the car in pieces than a whole car. Unless you have a salvaged F40 built by GMG, there's very little value in repairing a wreck unless it was basically given to you. Let's be honest, 360's aren't rare. In all honestly, you will probably end up putting $50k in a car worth 40, when you can get a good one for 60.

Carnut, KC360 FL, Flea7 and 1 other person like this.
  8. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I have a pair of RHD Red Headlights, located in Hong Kong.

Can ship to you in Aus.

HektikArab likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There is probably no one on this forum with more experience taking cars apart and modifying them than I have. I have designed well over 200 parts myself over the years. In the last 35 years alone I have probably lost at least 2.5 million on cars. It does not bother me, it is my hobby and outside of writing, my passion. But I have no false sense of what I'm doing, nor that it does not decrease the cars value. Perhaps in your country OP things are different, and I can only speak of how things are here in the USA. Using a Wrangler is unfortunately a poor choice for comparison, the type of people who gravitate to those cars like mods (lifts, big tires, winches), even dealers here sell this modified Wranglers at huge markups. It is not the same with a Ferrari (not even close), people will notice mileage discrepancies and worry about resale, but a car in that condition, I'm afraid it would be quite difficult to sell, if you thought it would not have a very diminished value. I wish you luck with your project, and I hope you get the car back on the road.

10. John Stevens

John Stevens Karting

Feb 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Stevens
    The only way to retain the value of the car is to have it repaired by a Ferrari approved repairer.I think their used to be an approved repairer in Sydney, can't remember their name.The damage isn't actually that bad, relatively easy repair (with the correct equipment, know how etc) but not cheap !

HektikArab likes this.
  11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Any time an exotic car is damaged it reduces the value of the car. This is especially true of Ferraris because Ferrari owners are pains in the ass. :)

As an example, I had an "incident" (I wouldn't even call it an accident) in my Aston Martin V12 Vantage. I was stopped at a stop light and the driver behind me inched forward and hit me at around 1 mph. It scratched the rear bumper, but that's all. I called the police as that's what I thought you're supposed to do, but I really regret it because it created a Carfax record that killed about $20k-$30k in value when it came time to sell. Even though I explained that the damage was extremely minor and was repaired by the best shop in town, it made it impossible to sell at the market price of equivalent cars without a "story." So, lesson learned on minor accidents.

I applaud the OP for trying to resurrect this car and enjoy it. That said, he should understand the reality of owning a damaged exotic.

one4torque and Nuvolari like this.
  12. HektikArab

HektikArab Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Samuel Allouche
    Your all talking like your kings in castles, lets be real here your all people like everyone else whether you accept this or not. Each person has a opinion and you all seem to be on the same wavelength with all respect to humans. Maybe for a long time this has been the norm that a vehicle unmodified is worth more, but I still disagree! and no using the "Jeep Wrangler" isn't a bad example, here I will use the Ferrari or Rolls Royce as to you guys it sings your tune. Well I know a Ferrari with the "Challenge Grill, and carbon wheels, tan leather, sports steering wheel, special stitching, carbon body panels" (yes these are modifications!!) holds more "value" in anyones eyes whether you want to agree or not I know the reality to it, but you just want to argue and disagree to someone who's ballsy enough to do what none of you want to or brave enough to. This whole argument anyway wasn't about holding value to a car or not, who cares what its worth, back to what I earlier said if you guys really know so much about cars, youll know any car with over 1000kms is a "used car" and not going to "hold value" as you guys suggest, the only time a vehicle holds value is when it has low kms and is rare, by all means go buy a car and park it away in a garage for 25 years and im sure it will be worth a bit , or maybe mot, but that is a 25 year chunk of your life you risk, and for what to be a million dollars richer in your nursing home? But the 360 isn't a rare car and all by now have high kms, the 355 isn't worth billions, actually if anything it is going down, ouch to all the people who parked it up in a garage in the hope it will make them a penny (probably most of you and your Buddys hahaha) I bought this car to drive it how it was designed to be driven and to enjoy it, now all of you go post videos of driving your cars how they were supposed to be driven (hard and fast) and not collect dust in the hope its going to be worth a zillion. Anyway if me bringing one of these cars back to life bothers you, and the 360 is not a special car, why are you even commenting ? go drive your "2018 LeFerraris" haahha , whoops you dont own them there all in Dubai probably. "Life's not about making money on a parked car"

13. HektikArab

HektikArab Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Samuel Allouche
    what is condition and price you asking?

14. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Alex. I think you bought the wrecked car and started the thread to rile everybody up and it worked. Many, most, Ferrari owners worship their cars and fret over things like water spots that damage the paint and devalue their precious possession. Bling it with tacky add-ons, drive it hard and fast. Have fun wasting money on the mongrel that no one else will want. Wring every cent out of it and save nothing for the next one to worship. Hell, it is just a wrecked car.

15. HektikArab

HektikArab Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Samuel Allouche
    So you bought a fast car that has some of the best engineering and design in the world to not use it for what it was designed for ? it’s designed to be driven fast and hard, weren’t you all telling me these big companies who create the cars know best? Well they to enjoy them and not park them in your garages. Like you said some people worship aluminium, some will use it for its reason it’s intended to be aluminium “light to go fast!” With all respect ,get a Prius they do exactly what you do with your cars. Next time you see a Ferrari being driven how intended think about what your doing with yours. I didn’t come on here to Gee none of you up, actually you all attacked me and now I put you all in your place, you wanna cry “he’s a troll” go away , go “worship” a piece of metal

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Alex, is English your first language? I ask because I am struggling to understand your posts and wonder if perhaps the rest of us are dealing with a language barrier that is preventing us from following you. Quite often people post here from other countries and they are misunderstood because of this. I just want to understand before judging.

Myself personally I drive all of my cars a LOT and am not afraid of pushing them hard or putting mileage on them. In fact I do not know the mileage on any of my cars and really don't care either. I do however do all my own work and document everything so that I can trace the service over time and make sure the car is well prepared for the road. As far as owners go I am as far from a car worshiper as you get and I am never afraid to get my hands dirty.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am sorry, but you joined here one week ago, and I and some others who replied to you have been here over 10 years. I think you mistake attacks for those trying to offer you guidance and even good wishes. I personally have owned 467 cars, and have been rebuilding and designing car parts for 45+ years, and I try and help others when I can, because I have made some very costly mistakes in the past. If you cannot see the difference in the culture that surrounds a Jeep Wrangler vs a Ferrari, I am sorry but there is a night and day difference. Perhaps that is why you do not see the diminished value of a wrecked Ferrari. If you do not want opinions, you probably should not have posted a wreaked car as your introduction to this forum. People here are generally tolerant and like me try to offer sound advise, yes there are a few who may come of as a bit harsh, but people are people. My advise would be to ease up a bit and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you have just joined here and bought your very first Ferrari, coming off as having more knowledge than some of us who have owned many of these cars is not the best way to be accepted. I wish you luck in your project.

18. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #43 Drestless, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Hi Alex,

First of all congrats on your new project! I see my previous self in you trying to convince and rationalize with the Ferrari crowd. Been there done that.

The answer is pretty simple. You can't rationalize or change the flow of the sea here. I know this wouldn't make sense but it is what it is. Ferrari's that were crashed even if repaired properly and made better than original will always be devalued and any modifications will too. This is a whole new ball game for you (not like Jeeps and other makes). It's just how the cookie crumble.

My advice is just focus in bringing her back to the road, enjoy every ride and not spin your head trying to explain why a crash shouldn't devalue the car. You'll lose your hair trying to explain your side of the fence on this topic. Trust me on this. :rolleyes:

gtwhaley likes this.
  19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Alex,
    There are a lot of knowledgeable people with a tremendous amount of experience with Ferraris on this forum.
    My advice to you is to learn from them and tone down the mockery and sarcasm. There are professionals of all types here.....yes, that includes race car drivers as well.

Good luck with your build.

John_K_348 and 02360spider like this.
  20. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    You said this is your first Ferrari. Perhaps taking the advice of those here who have owned many would be a good idea.
    Frankly I don't think most here are "arguing" the value of the car. Instead rather that the amount of $$ you will have in it will most likely total far more than what you could have bought a decent 360 for-- even with the added cost of shipping to you. At least that was my point.

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I think if you read and do some searches here you will find that most guys on this forum know their cars very well, drive them often, and even work on them; including such things as a clutch job, timing belts, and other pretty involved tasks. I'm not sure where you get the idea that those here are snobs and collectors that never drive their cars.
    But I'm betting since this is your first Ferrari, you're going to need some advice when it comes to putting this car back together. So far I don't see an attitude from you that sets the tone that you want when it comes to wanting some pointers from some seasoned owners here.

22. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Modding a car, vs rebuilding one that has been crashed, are two different things though.

Also, depending on the car, different groups of people will have different thoughts. I wouldn't want to own a Ferrari that's been crashed and rebuilt, if it's the same price as one that hasn't. If it was 1/2 the price, and done properly? Maybe.

23. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I had no intention of sharing this here but at this point you guys should see who you are talking to. I’ve sold many parts to many of you here and did my best to try to work with Alex when he contacted me on eBay about some 360 parts. I spent dozens of messages over hours trying to explain the global shipping program and what we could do to get him the parts if he didn’t want to utilize it. When he started doing some odd/shady stuff and he changed his address in eBay to a FAKE US address to buy my parts and then changing the address back to Australia. He did the same thing messing up a bunch of Ferrparts auctions too. When I decided to decline his business because of his loose cannon behavior I received the message shown here. Mind you I had not seen this thread and the only contact was on eBay so I had NO IDEA WHAT RACE HE WAS and he had no idea what race I am but he went there. It’s apparently the only place his mind could take him. It couldn’t have had anything to do with his ACTIONS could it? Anyway I think him thanking the Lord that “my people “ are going extinct. This is a hurtful mean spirited man child and I hope you all gauge your interactions with him accordingly. Thanks for listening...

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drestless, S-T48, Nuvolari and 2 others like this.
  24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Not sure what to say about all of this drama.

Pretty cool to put another one back in the road.

I would be more inclined to buy a salvage 360 to guy it ‘smartly’ and create my own light weight street legal track de car.

Would give very little thought to correct this or that and make a factory lw. ‘Singer-esque’ f car build. Gl.

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It's amazing when people ask for advice from the knowing, get that advice, then ignore that advice. Some people just can't be helped.

Drestless, Mickster, Ryan... and 3 others like this.