For Sale - Testing Waters: 1987 BMW 325is 68k Miles | FerrariChat

For Sale Testing Waters: 1987 BMW 325is 68k Miles

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Bruin, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    Hello F-Chat,

I'm toying with the idea of selling my e30. The car is immaculate, i'd rate the exterior and interior both 9/10.
    The car benefits from a recent timing belt service, and cooling system service, both of which occurred about two years ago. More recently, I have replaced the distributor, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and the AC has been recharged. I have yet to see another e30 in a nicer condition than this one; it's a real treat. The only aftermarket item on the car is a condor shift knob, which is a bit taller and slimmer than the OEM shift knob. I do not have many photos of the car, but when I am around it next in a few weeks i'm going to take some more detailed photos. The car has 3 previous owners, and a clean title.

Anyone who sees this car in person will be delighted.

As for price, I am asking $20,000. Hagerty Values a car like this in excellent condition at $18,000, and in concourse condition at $27,000. One could also look at BringaTrailer to help determine what similar cars are selling for, as a less desirable convertible with similar mileage sold for $21,500 a few weeks ago.

Thanks guys,
    Bruin

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bthesixthree and Boomhauer like this.
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thing looks mint. Just pay the $99 and BaT it. Well worth 15-20,000 views and would do well there. I bet $22-25K

GLWS man

Rory J likes this.
  3. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    Good idea, thanks for the kind words!

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Had this EXACT car for many years- Wish I had kept it!

5. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    now's your chance to have it back!

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have had a bunch of these and they are great cars. If you choose to put it on BAT really go over the car top to bottom and take care of any detail you can find. The car will get a lot of views but it will also be nit picked to death by every keyboard expert out there. Getting the most money on BAT is all about disclosing everything and not giving any place for someone to question you. Best of luck with the sale it is a lovely car that brings back a lot of fond memories.

7. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    WOW that is the nicest E30 325is I've ever seen. I'll never forget when my best friend Chris Rausch had a black one in 1995 and it was SO MUCH fun banging around in that car.

8. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    What a great little time capsule of a car!

9. tdiferrari

tdiferrari Rookie

Dec 21, 2016
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Roy K
    Beautifully preserved car. I have a low mile 91 Red 318is and these are great cars to own. Good luck with the sale

10. Turn left

Turn left Rookie

Feb 13, 2015
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Charley Walker
    I had same car, different color. I agree with comments about BAT, especially with condition and miles.

11. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    i'd love to drive a 318is one day! The "baby m3" nickname certainly intrigues me.

12. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    Car submitted to BAT for their auction. See you all there!

Afonsolaw likes this.
  13. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
  14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Your is looks great here's mine all orig very fun cars and are a fraction of the big dollar e30 m3

Attached Files:

15. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    looks beautiful! these cars really shine when they are unmolested

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  16. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    Bump. Sold the car to a guy, he found out that the driver fender and hood had been repainted. He wanted to sue me for fraud so i took the car back. Looking to sell now for 13,500 firm, as that is what I have in the car. Just looking to break even.

I tracked down the Previous owner to find the reason for the repaint (which was undisclosed to me, ugh.) and he said that it was repainted due to rock chipping. They did a great job, as i didn't notice it in my ownership.

17. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    Here is a copy and paste of the PPI that was done before the guy bought the car. Hope this helps.
    1987 BMW 325is
    WBAAA1304H234195
    68,031 miles

Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jzn0hqg3byg1rlt/AADZuvJQuWKyqUEbhkfgFfaNa?dl=0

Exterior:
    - Overall paint is in great shape. Glossy on all panels, but could still use a professional cleaning/correction. Headlights/taillights in perfect shape. Moldings/trim/emblems in perfect shape.
    - Very minimal blemishes, if any, on most panels. Some very faint dings, but nothing you can see without specifically looking
    - Only area on car worth mentioning that has questionable paint would be the area under the headlights (photo 2018_02_09 12.06.33) where the paint does appear streaked. I did not attempt to clean any part of the car so this may be residue from someone previously attempting to treat the plastics on the diving boards and just leaving too much on the paint. It's unlike any other area on the car.
    - Front valance has cracked paint on both driver and passenger side. I would consider this the only blemish on the entire car cosmetically.
    - All 4 wheels are in great condition, tires in great shape with plenty of tread
    - All VIN tags are accounted for and match

Underside:
    - Zero rust. I absolutely can not find a single problem area underneath this car or any of the important areas that rust out on e30s. Pinch welds, battery box, rear bumper strut area, rockers, etc...nothing.
    - Rear diff does have traces of a leak from the rear cover and passenger side axle. Its not wet and doesn't seem to be an immediate concern, but wouldn't hurt to eventually pull the diff for a service/reseal.
    - Rear suspension in good shape, bushings look OE and in decent shape
    - Exhaust has surface rust, no leaks - in good shape
    - Transmission has evidence of a slight leak on the case. Fill/drain plugs need to be pulled, cleaned, and resealed.
    - Trans mounts look new - OE rubber
    - Engine oil pan leaking in areas
    - Oil filter housing has slight leak.
    - Front suspension in good shape, no issues to report
    - Engine mounts look new - OE rubber

Interior:
    - As close to perfect as you're going to get for a car with 68k miles. Driver's seat has very minimal wear on outer bolster, rear seat is in great shape.
    - Crack free dash
    - All gauges work, including the CHECK panel
    - Carpet in good shape front and rear, slight discoloration under pass. floor mat which I think is from the rubber backing and would come clean with minimal cleaning.
    - Trunk area in perfect shape, battery area and spare tire well in great shape.
    - Tool kit is intact except for the sunroof/window tool.

Engine bay:
    - All stock, great condition.
    - Paint in engine bay in great condition as well
    - All factory stickers are still in place
    - Oxidation on valve cover, easily fixed.

Compression test: 1st time psi / 2nd time psi
    Cyl1 - 160 / 165
    Cyl2 - 165 / 165
    Cyl3 - 165 / 165
    Cyl4 - 170 / 170
    Cyl5 - 165 / 170
    Cyl6 - 165 / 165

Cold start - no issues, no smoke, no stumbles, instantly found idle and ran fine.

Test drive - car runs without issue. Pulls strong under hard acceleration, no smoke or issues. Brakes work fine, car handles great. No issues to report.

Bthesixthree likes this.
  18. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    **** I want this. :eek:

Gorgeous man.

Bruin likes this.
  19. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    thanks! i figure at this price i can give someone the opportunity to drive it for a few years and never have to worry about losing a cent in value! like driving around a gold brick.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow sorry to hear that happened with that buyer. I forwarded the ad to my brother and cousin who may be interested. Hopefully they don't need Fchat logins to view the ad.

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    im confused... this thread is all the same car for sale. white was $20k now asking $13,500 ???

Jakuzzi likes this.
  22. Sapman

Sapman Rookie

Jul 29, 2014
    This is the truth. I sold a car on BAT recently and was grilled by folks who spend a lot of time on there doing their utmost to find a problem with what you're selling. My car was a good one and sold well, but I would not put a car on there that was not in good shape.

23. Bruin

Bruin Rookie

Oct 31, 2016
    Richmond, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruin R.
    I have heard that as well.
    I'd much rather sell private party.

Bump, 11.5k firm

24. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed