My 400i Auto is a stone | FerrariChat

My 400i Auto is a stone

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im sure the timing chain is stretched a foot longer than it should be so cam timing is probably 8 degrees retarded from ideal so Ive been thinking.....

Yes the 3 speed auto isnt helping and I wondered whats the best way to overcome this? A 396 Camaro does okay with a turbo 400. Do I go through the lengthy exercise of adding a gear? No. Swap to manual? No. I think going bigger, adding more twist to the crank is the answer and leave the slush box alone. No I wont go the chevy route I promise. Im thinking add a 1000cc's to the engine size, retain the CIS, revised cams and some porting.

Anyone have a spare 400 engine they want to part with?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Using the auto trans the way you do with todays tiptronic auto cars makes the car ALOT more fun to drive. I usually start out from a stop with it in 2nd gear, and manually upshift to 3rd. Much better keeping it in 2nd for stuff below 50mph or so.

My two cents is try driving it like that (if you havent already) and see if it makes your driving experience better.

And probably do the tune-up.

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    They all are.
    That's gonna be really expensive and I suspect disappointing as well. A two ton plus car with long gearing is going to need a BUNCH more torque or suitable gear ratios to feel very lively under 90 MPH.
    That 396 would do the trick though.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    If you want to throw a lot of money at it, do a full rebuild with modern pistons and rings, EFI and twin turbo. Cams to suit.

otaku likes this.
  5. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Have a look at Mark's site:
    gemellocattivo.com to see what he has done with TR heads on a bored and stroked 400 block in a 308 - 900hp!

John

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I know Mark and I had him port heads and an intake for me on one of my 3.4L EFI conversions I built. Did his V12 dyno at 900HP? I haven't been to his site in a while.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its not a matter of "wanting" to throw a lot of money at it, its just par for the course. The problem with all of these 400 (and 365) engines is the crappy low compression pistons and the exhaust valves that are waiting to break without warning. If Im rebuilding it Ill make it bigger but no turbos. The 456 Autos seem to get up and go and they're pretty portly too.

otaku likes this.
  8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    A 456 transplant, maybe? It would still be cheaper than a 400 rebuild

9. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    No dyno figures yet, he set fire to his workshop during a startup so a new garage is being built..

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The stretched chain will make a surprising difference to the (cam timing) and hence power. If you do a compression test and you'll find one bank ( drviers side) of the engine has lower compression than the other.
    Run a new chain through it, time the cams and then sync the airflow between both throttles using a manometer - you'll be surprised at the difference it makes.
    I know you have a 400, however I've driven both a friends 412 auto and my manual 412's and the auto is surprisingly quick in traffic etc. The torque convertor helps get get the car off the mark quite briskly and works quite well with a relatively low torque, high revving engine.

The chain is particularly important in the 412 with electronic ignition, the distributor housings are fixed to the head and the distributor rotors are directly driven by the camshafts so if the cam chain is worn, the rotor is also slightly out of aligment with the distributor cap, affecting spark timing and quality. Because the distributor housing ( and hence the cap ) is fixed, it's not possible to adjust for this.
    With everything set up as it should be these things pull like a train...
    M

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    320HP moving 4000lbs and pulls like a train can't be said in the same sentence. My BB with engine mods yes, that car really honks. My 400i needs more than a chain and some motor honey to get up and go.

Regarding a 465 or 550 engine is an option but from some quick checks I think it would need a transmission to go along with it or a new adapter to make it fit plus ITB's to clear the hood. The cost of a 456 conversion would soon match a 400i rebuild but still make a lot more power.

12. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Paul, stupid question but since the engine or at least bellhousing is already configured for GM, would a late model GM box fit and unlock more of the engine's character and abilities? I know someone else sort of asked the same, but I just looked up the specs for a base '18 Camaro and see it has an 8-speed (!) A/T. Granted that would be a bit silly, maybe the General offered 5-speed units in the recent past? I realize that doesn't solve for the power shortfall, but surely five ratios would make better use of what you already have? But if you could find a newer, bigger, stronger F-car drivetrain, as you have for Boxers, then................Best, John

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Completely stock 400 with fresh timing chain, crank up the volume

14. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    New timing chain makes a difference! Only driven on Sundays.

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    With the engine in a proper state of tune, and utilizing the GM three speed gearbox manually, these cars are pretty darn quick and do in fact pull very hard.

16. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thats funny!

17. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #17 Jasonberkeley, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    The cost of converting to a 456 or 550 engine would far exceed the cost of a rebuild. And you would have a much longer technical exercise to sort everything out to work reliably.

Aside from the cost of a 456 or 550 V12 in good condition, you would have to have all new mounts custom fabricated, alternator mountings and all accessory drive pieces custom fabricated, hoses and pipes, coolers, all new electrical work for the motor and to work with the engine management system, custom bellhousings (or an entirely new custom driveline if you went with a 456 or 550 trans, which would also require body / trans tunnel and frame modifications, custom driveshaft, etc...).

This would be a huge project at great expense. Though very cool!

18. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Is there no more adjustment left on your chain tensioner that you are assuming it is stretched to the point of degrading timing and power?

19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ferrari chose the TH400 transmission over the TH350 (im guessing) because they used it in a torque tube application. The TH400 having a beefy case to handle the task of no transmission mount to support it, only the engine and rear diff is mounted. There is a small reaction rod under the transmission but only to prevent fore and aft movement. Going to a modern lightweight 6 or 8 speed auto would be great but would mean eliminating the torque tube arrangement leading to other fabrication.

Late model engine to avoid trans conversion or late model trans to retain the 400 engine is a big undertaking either way.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Haven't checked but its not noisy.

Doing a chain and messing around with a tweak here and an adjustment there will make it not even as good as it was when it was new. And when it was new it was no rocket so I wont bother. All or nothing!

22. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I wouldnt do a chain as i’m guessing you dont need one. But you should check the tensioner. Its real easy to adjust. Search this section for a how-to. It can start wearing alot of other things and cause bigger issues long term, so worth taking a few minutes to give it a look.

23. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  24. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Perhaps worth to mention that the page B41 of the workshop manual had a mis-translation of the original Italian text into the English version (and the French version too). This was picked up by a member of the Ferrari Club 400.

The Italian text says:

"...ruotare la vite 5 fino a quando la catena non diviene rumurosa, a questo punto tornare indietro di un quarto di giro..."

This can be translated as follows:

...rotate the screw number 5 until the chain stops being noisy, then go back a quarter of a turn...

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  25. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I'm a hot rodder by birth, so bear with me...

Assuming the 400i uses an IRS system, converting to an open driveline should be too difficult. Bracketry and custom drive axles should do the trick without too much cost.

As for the transmission, how big is the tunnel? Most modern GM transmissions are pretty big. Still, a 4L80E should fit as it's not much bigger than a 400. But if you have the room, a 6L80E would be great, and would give you the option of paddles. A rear mount should be employed, but that shouldn't be too difficult, and perhaps a larger cooler as the new transmissions tend to run a bit hotter.

The only other issue is, of course, bolting the transmission to the engine. The fexplate for the Turbo 400 should work (if I recall correctly). How is the T-400 adapted to the engine? If it's an adapter plate of some sort, the 4l60E and 6L80E should bolt to it.