Daily Driver- 360 Modena or 911 GT3? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daily Driver- 360 Modena or 911 GT3?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raines, Jul 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My car's situation is literally unique. It's one of only 22 360's with a sunroof, about half of which are manuals, and one of only two sunroof/stick cars in yellow. The other has a black interior. So it's a rare car and worth rescuing, as it had some non-enthusiast owners. It's really an example of what a nightmare these cars can be to sort out if they haven't been kept up with. It doesn't matter to me, though, because it's my unicorn. :)

Much better to get a well sorted car with an average number of miles and good service records. Still no guarantees, so you should always be ready for the possibility of a $10K bill.

2. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    I would probably see if I could get a F430 for $100k that has a few miles on it.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Ryan S., Boomhauer, Shark01 and 2 others like this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Perhaps it varies where you live, as well. The more rare it is to see a Ferrari, the less practical it is to DD it.

Plus, cupholders.

Island Time likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    When I first got my 360 manual, I was passing a Starbucks and thought a coffee might be nice... then I laughed. Plastic soft drink bottles are okay on the highway, but I need a Thermos.

thorn likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    More than once I haven't taken the Ferrari, because there's no place to put my coffee.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Definitely not a DD If I have to worry about spilling coffee or dropping a fry inbetween my seats. My current DD is a Lexus that gets abused but can take it. I cannot imagine treating my restored 308 like that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

G. Pepper and Formula Uno like this.
  8. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
  9. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Never thought about the rarity of the car for a DD. Ferraris are purple squirrels where I live, but does a good DD have to be hidden in the crowd?

10. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    There you go...worry-free mystique!

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Sometimes you just want to go to the gas station and fill up without a conversation. Or, anywhere.

Jana likes this.
  12. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a 430. My daily is a ‘15 Cayman GTS. Best daily I have ever had. I love my 430 and have put 16k miles on it in about 5 1/2 years, but I would not daily drive it.

Formula Uno likes this.
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I wont get into what I have, but I have been using my Evora 400 as my daily for the last few days. It is actually a pretty good daily driver (with Convex mirrors it has almost no blind spots), great gearshift, plenty of room inside, and it is fantastic drivers car. You can open and close the exhaust valves, so if you need it to be quiet it can be. It has nav and, Bluetooth and you can have a conversation hands free and hear and be heard. I cant comment on the stereo (everything sounds okay to me these days). It does get noticed but mostly because people have no idea what it is, I realize this is Ferrarichat, but I would take a 400 over a 360 (F1 or gearshift), I am probably in the minority, but I often am.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tasty cakes! Another vote for some 911 variant. 997.2 S is what I drive and I think they're the sweet spot. New enough tech, old enough to not stress about. Great in traffic, and fun if you can sneak off the interstate and spice up your commute with a little back roads romp...T

Island Time likes this.
  15. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    It affects where I drive, where I park, etc. The GT3 is still a good looking car and people who know what it is comment, but it's mostly invisible compared to what my 360 was. I got followed in that car, just like I do my Lambo. I also worried more about people hitting me in the 360 than I do the GT3 because of repair time/cost. Basically, the GT3 is a great compromise because it's an awesome car, but doesn't come with the limitations that the 360 came with. And yeah, I only allowed bottled water in the 360. The ashtray cost $800 to replace. No way I'm spilling something dark on the interior.

Boomhauer and thorn like this.
  16. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Pretty car! I'll tell my broker to put that on the shortlist...seriously would like to test drive. Owner experience means a lot.

17. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I get it. I just wish the word "compromise" didn't have to come into play. Is the worry-free mystique DD just a fantasy?

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Not at all. You can always get a Honda Accord. :D

19. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Definitely a dream car for my 16 year old.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ever thought of a Lamborghini Gallardo? Very reliable......and it blends nicely in the Toyota crowd.

21. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Exactly...a haystack on a needle.

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    omg ferrari over a punch buggy any and every single day

23. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The P-car is not even close to a "slug bug". It has has power & grace that's perfect for a DD.

24. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
  25. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree! Bulletproof. The only problem I have is that I’m not sold on power alone. Where’s the emotion and soul of the car? I don’t get that with a P-car...at least the ones I’ve driven like the GT3. I just sit in a 360 and the mystique and romance is all there. I can’t explain it- maybe it’s welled up from memories of the past. My dilemma is choosing the best DD. Romance vs. Practicality.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat