Kentucky Fried Chicken | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nader, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    KFC is alright...I prefer Popeye's for fast food fried chicken. Otherwise the best fried chicken is Hattie B's (Nashville) and make it hot for the spice level.

2. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Part of my affinity for KFC stems from my childhood. My mom made time and labor intensive home cooked meals 99% of the time. On the rare occasions we had fast food, KFC was her favorite, split with myself and siblings' favorites including McD's and Pizza Hut. These three are now carried over as my family's favorites when my tireless wife takes a break from cooking. The kids like McD's, I like KFC, and the whole family can agree on The Hut.

Soooo, this thread isn't about whether or not KFC is any good, or what may be better. It's a celebration of one third of the fast food part of my life. The food is both a guilty pleasure, and a fond trip down memory lane.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Plus a good excuse to exercise the F-car!
    T

Nader likes this.
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I can see KFC being a trip down memory lane. We got KFC a lot in high school because it was one of the few places that offered fast food in my town. The town had ordinances against allowing fast food signs. McDonalds, etc. didn't open until after I graduated and the sign law was no longer strict. Pizza Hut was also a guilty pleasure, but here they changed the dough. So its not the same as when I was in my 20's and ordering it.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Pizza Hut doesn't taste the same anymore to me. It used to be my favorite. Neither does domino's as well.

6. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Pizza Hut changed their dough to be healthier, less greasy. I think Dominos switched to cheaper ingredients.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow - same with us! KFC was like a treat, and a rare one at that. It doesn't seem the same to me anymore, but I still like it! Popeye's is better, but the memory of KFC is still strong, I love it.

Nader likes this.
  8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Roasted @ 10# of Yirgacheffe over a couple of years - either via Sweet Maria's or Smokin' Beans - roasted mine a bit past usual suggestions, which were too "light" in many senses of the word. It's a bit different than typical cup, as legend has it that this region & bean is the Mother of coffees.

"The pheasants are beneath me." - SoCal to az

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do you use a popcorn popper, dedicated roaster, something else?
    T

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I didn’t get any fast food or restaurant food.
    Except when at my grandpas, he’d spoil me with it, probably because he knew my parents hated it. They were vegetarian and poor cooks so I only got “good food” illegally. I really truly thought restaurant and fast food was the pinnacle. Lol. The food at home was so bad. And meat? Oh man I’ve been making up for lost time since.

Two piece, always special ordered with two drumsticks for me, with the crinkle cut fries. Bucket for everyone else but grandpa always got me my own on the side. And I got to sit in the front seat there and back!

I hear ya. Total memory lane.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc and Nader like this.
  11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Outdoors is best, as it doesn't smoke up the joint.

Did my share of popcorn style, but got more enjoyment with an upended charcoal fire starter over gas flame.

Why upended? Middle plate doesn't get needlessly heated - instead, it somewhat diffuses concentrated heat.

Put a good quality stainless round basket over that, swirl, shake, stir with wood or bamboo spoon.

I kept a few baskets, strainer & pot available - use fan to blow chaff off - hie thee to fridge or if need be, freezer to stop roast.

We receive whole roasted coffee from one of my Bride's clients, so I've not needed to roast in some time. Can't keep up! Otherwise, I'd still roast . . .

"I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

tomc likes this.
  12. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    For more "KFC from the cockpit," here's a picture of when I scored some more KFC a few days ago, this time in my '76 Toyota Land Cruiser (FJ40). First time here for this truck. Sadly, it may also be the last time. This KFC store is about to close down and be demolished to make way for some new development. Too bad, this was a pretty convenient location for me. Will need to start looking elsewhere for my fix.

Sidenote: The clock on the dash is my own addition, since these trucks don't come with one, and the period-correct AM/FM/CB radio I installed doesn't have one. And I like having a clock. This one I got off eBay is from a Cessna, I think.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

daviday likes this.
  13. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Are you sure it's going to be demolished?

"I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

14. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle

tomc likes this.
  15. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    You've got a cool collection of cars. Love the FJ.

I haven't had fried chicken in a while now - I think I'll be making a stop soon.

Nader likes this.
  16. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ah yes, I forgot that they are called PFK up in Canada. And, you guys get gravy with your fries. Lucky Canadians!
    T

18. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ground ginger? Hmm. The others look like what you'd expect...T

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    meh, eleven or eleventy, the Colonel still can't make chicken anywhere near as good as Popeye's.:D

tomc likes this.
  21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I like the chicken at Popeyes better. But their sides suck. Id rather have KFC for the side dishes. Here KFC has poutine and its awesome.

22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  23. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wife brought home a bucket of KFC last night.

Chicken was quite good (I had a breast & a leg), and the biscuits are yummy, but crumble like crazy. We used our own leftover mashed taters & chicken gravy, so can't comment on how their version has held up over the years.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I love KFC! One of my guilty pleasures.
    My son and I sneak away and get it once a year.